Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

UTI/Kidney infection/Prostatitis?

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 15:37

I'm back again!

PSA has been basically flat (around 3.5-3.7) so no worry there.

A few weeks ago I had Norovirus (not confirmed by a Doc. but symptoms match with NHS website). Part of the after effects from Noro, was a marked decrease in urine output (the fluids were coming out other orifices!), 2 days later I had smelly, cloudy urine. A UTI was confirmed from mid-stream sample, dip test showed infection, sample was then cultured and was positive for e-coli. Nitrofurantoin prescribed, with a warning to watch for flank/back pain. Temp was 38-39 C.

4 days later I got right flank pain, temp back to 39+, heart racing. Saw Doc. who immediately sent me to A&E. I then had three lots of Gentamicin IV (described by a consultant as 'Domestos'! then 5 day course of co-trimoxazole. I was in A&E for one day, then the short day unit for the next four days (day time only). I had a catheter fitted at one point as they said I wasn't emptying my bladder. My flow was poor, it could take me 10 mins to 'start' then just drips and dribbles. No discomfort though.

PSA came back as 11.

In desperation because of no apparent action from NHS, I went to see a urologist privately. He checked my prostate - enlarged but smooth/normal. Flow rate was poor, and I was retaining over 300ml. He suggested that I might need HOLEP if things don't improve.

A couple of weeks on things are improving, my flow is much better and I start within 2-3 seconds. Frequency and urgency are an issue, but I suspect I need to retrain my bladder after having weak flow etc for a few weeks. I am doing pelvic floor exercises several times day. I suspect that the UTI/ kidney infection has probably resulted in prostatitis.

I'm seeing the urologist in a couple of weeks, if things continue to improve I am thinking of asking to try Finasteride (already on Tamsulosin which up to this episode has controlled things well).

Any thoughts, comments, hints for bladder training?

Thanks.