Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Questions from my hospital bed.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 04:52

Hi, 

I had my RP yesterday as planned and am now lying in bed in the post-op overnight ward, unable to sleep, and a couple of questions occurred to me. 

Firstly, do I need to continue talking Tamsulosin and Finasteride now I don't have a prostate ? 

And secondly, should I continue to do pelvic floor exercises while I'm catheterised? 

Thanks. 

Edited by member 01 Nov 2023 at 05:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 05:32

The advice is normally to stop the pelvic floor exercises until the catheter is removed but you should ask you Dr.

Good luck with your recovery

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 07:43
Should not be any need for the Tamsulosin and Finasteride as you will be pissing like a horse again
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 05:32

The advice is normally to stop the pelvic floor exercises until the catheter is removed but you should ask you Dr.

Good luck with your recovery

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 07:43
Should not be any need for the Tamsulosin and Finasteride as you will be pissing like a horse again
User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 07:53

I believe the advice is to stop the pelvic floor exercises whilst catheterised, then start them again once it is removed.

Good luck with your recovery from the op.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 10:25

Hi,

Your post brought back memories of being in the post op ward and tossing and turning all night.

I remember feeling very happy that they'd eventually done the op. My previous two scheduled ops had both been cancelled at the very last minute. One through lack of beds and one through anaesthetists concerns. The additional two month delay this had caused, was mentally draining.

But I was also very uncertain of the future. How well would I recover and what impact it would have on my life.

I  peeked under the sheets and peered over my gas inflated belly. "Little Adrian' had almost vanished!

Nine months later, despite a few ups and downs, things have worked out better than I thought they would and I wish you a similar recovery.

Adrian.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 10:32

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Looking forward to getting home later today. 

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 11:19

Tamsulosin won't be having the intended effect as all the tissue it acts on has gone.
However, it's also a blood pressure reducing medication, so if you stop taking it, you need to monitor your blood pressure which may rise and might need a different treatment. Having said that, general anesthetics can lower blood pressure for a week afterwards, so bare that in mind too.

Finasteride acts on the prostate, and if that's why you were on it, then that's not needed any more either. Also, it messes with PSA tests, so it might be a good idea to be off it for as long as possible before your first post-op PSA test.

As always, discuss medication changes with your clinicians.