I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting RT this week......

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 11:03

It took 3 goes on differnt days to do my planing scan , first one too much gas given tablets and sorted , second one upper section of bowel too full , third one bladder too full ,bowel Ok after 6 hours was maked up as good to go .

Will need to follow empty badder ,drink 500ml of water 45 minutes before treatment , micralax in the morning , anyone else have further problems when presenting for RT after scanning .

I am advanced T3 with a node which needs zapping too.

Last PSA was 35 when found in March 23 , I am going to request Psa before Rt as unsure  if I should have it if my Cancer is having a Party somewhere .

thanks for any advice .

Mike

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 16:51

I don't think a PSA test will give you any worthwhile information at this stage. It will probably be quite a low number as you are on HT, if it isn't low it doesn't mean the cancer has spread merely that it isn't responding to HT. Whatever the result RT still sounds a worthwhile treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:14

Mike, I agree with Dave the HT will or should be controlling the cancer and Keeping the PSA down. I do like data and knowing what is happening,that has put me at odds with my oncologist. 

It is often said that the PSA 18 months after RT is the important one,and that depends on whether you are on long term HT.

As regards your RT, I just stuck to the same routine everyday,my times did vary day to day. I was using the mini enema, I used it something like 2 hours before my appointment time. Try and keep your fluid intake constant over the treatment period.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:36
Has the hospital given you any information about diet - or perhaps a diet sheet?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 20:55
👍
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 07:51

Good luck mike with the radiotherapy like decho I found the radiotherapy a breeze and didn't have much problem with my 18 months on hormone therapy 4 year's on my psa is 0.01 after my 37 session's off radiotherapy and is stable at the moment was Gleason 9 with a psa off 24.9 so far so good I know things can change good luck with your treatment gaz 👍

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 23:27

Completed my 20 RT sessions last week ,great support from fellow patients both male and female and useful conversations while waiting to recieve treatment. 

Most had more problems than me with undefiled bladders,  overful bowels or gas, I had to leave the machine once to adjust bowel contents . I measured and drank 2litres of water each day plus 500ml  45 minutes before treatment only a problem if machines broke and late on the machine .

Post treatment as expected irritated bladder and bowel causing urgency issues but manageable. 

Good luck to anyone starting RT.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2023 at 07:54

Glad you got through it ok Mike…..hope you got to ring the bell?

Hopefully your post treatment side-effects will ease soon, mine certainly did.

RT was a breeze compared to HT!

Good when you get your post treatment PSA test in 3 months. Mine dropped to 0.3(36 at diagnosis) and I’m just waiting (anxiously😩) for next next result which I’m hoping to get today.

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 16:51

I don't think a PSA test will give you any worthwhile information at this stage. It will probably be quite a low number as you are on HT, if it isn't low it doesn't mean the cancer has spread merely that it isn't responding to HT. Whatever the result RT still sounds a worthwhile treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:14

Mike, I agree with Dave the HT will or should be controlling the cancer and Keeping the PSA down. I do like data and knowing what is happening,that has put me at odds with my oncologist. 

It is often said that the PSA 18 months after RT is the important one,and that depends on whether you are on long term HT.

As regards your RT, I just stuck to the same routine everyday,my times did vary day to day. I was using the mini enema, I used it something like 2 hours before my appointment time. Try and keep your fluid intake constant over the treatment period.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:26
thank you that is good to know .
User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:28

I guess that is the sensible way to look at it , I would just like to know what the current state of play is with the cancer .

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:36
Has the hospital given you any information about diet - or perhaps a diet sheet?

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 17:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
the hospital said they did'nt want me to alter my diet but I am avoiding gas producing foods such as beans , onions , spicy food , califlower and the likes . I am T2 diabetic and take 2 drugs and metformin, with my GP support have stopped metformin for duration of RT as that does cause me bowel issues .

I fill and drink 2 l bottle of water each day with not too many teas or coffee's .

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 20:55
👍

User
Posted 05 Nov 2023 at 22:01

Hi Mike,

I was PSA 36 when diagnosed in March 22 T3bN0M0 . I was on HT for 9 months before starting RT and was down to 0.9…it just so happened that the start of RT coincided with my next HT injection and PSA test.

I was also told not to alter my diet for RT as they dont like to upset your routine.

I found RT a breeze compare to HT….my first RT test 3 months after RT was down ro 0.3 which the Onco was happy with. I think it definitely helps if your times are around the same each day as you get into a routine..

I did have too much gas at my planning scan but a short walk and another mini enema sorted that out. No problems during my 20 sessions of RT.
The staff are so wonderful and will help you get through it.

Good Luck

Derek

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 07:16
Thank you Derek , I do find comments and help from others so reassuring.
User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 07:51

Good luck mike with the radiotherapy like decho I found the radiotherapy a breeze and didn't have much problem with my 18 months on hormone therapy 4 year's on my psa is 0.01 after my 37 session's off radiotherapy and is stable at the moment was Gleason 9 with a psa off 24.9 so far so good I know things can change good luck with your treatment gaz 👍

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 08:01
Good to hear gaz , I am Gleason 9 and have a node too which needs a blast .
User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 08:15

No problem hope all goes well keep us informed 👍

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 23:27

Completed my 20 RT sessions last week ,great support from fellow patients both male and female and useful conversations while waiting to recieve treatment. 

Most had more problems than me with undefiled bladders,  overful bowels or gas, I had to leave the machine once to adjust bowel contents . I measured and drank 2litres of water each day plus 500ml  45 minutes before treatment only a problem if machines broke and late on the machine .

Post treatment as expected irritated bladder and bowel causing urgency issues but manageable. 

Good luck to anyone starting RT.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2023 at 07:54

Glad you got through it ok Mike…..hope you got to ring the bell?

Hopefully your post treatment side-effects will ease soon, mine certainly did.

RT was a breeze compared to HT!

Good when you get your post treatment PSA test in 3 months. Mine dropped to 0.3(36 at diagnosis) and I’m just waiting (anxiously😩) for next next result which I’m hoping to get today.

Derek

User
Posted 11 Dec 2023 at 10:35

Good luck for result day Decho.

No bell ringing for me , just slipped out with no fuss ( gave gifts of gratitude to reception and treatment team prior to last treatment )Hope never to darken Weston Parks doorstep again  follow ups at Chesterfield .

No PSA test till 6 months post treatment for me .

Booked plenty of breaks now our time is our own again .

Seasons grettings to everyone .