I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Insure cancer

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 13:38

Insure cancer is the only company that would consider insuring us for a trip to the canaries. They have been great but before we hand over a 4 figure sum we wanted to know it this is a reputable company, I can't find any reviews online, which raises a big red flag for me, so my question is, has anyone else here had experience of this company?

Thank you 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 15:26

Hi Cooktea,

All insurance companies are great until you hand over your money…it’s when you need to claim that they will try and weasel out of it. I’ve not heard of them personally , I’m insured with AllClear, others that spring to mind are insurewith and staysure. I’ve never had to claim from them though so I have no idea how ‘good’ they are. I assume you have tried them, I’m surprised you cant find another company unless your OH is terminal? As youve not posted on your profile I can’t tell. The other option is to go to a good broker who might be able to help.

One bit  if advice, make sure you declare ALL medical issues no matter how trivial you think they are, I asked my GP for my medical records to make sure I had declared everything.

Some people exclude PCa from their policies and I have thought about that as I’m unlikely to die from prostate cancer whilst on holiday. Worst case scenario is emergency medical repatriation which I’ve costed from the Canaries as around 25k.

Im in Fuerteventura at the moment and it’s absolutely glorious so enjoy your holiday😎

All the best

Derek

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 21:42

Thank you for your detailed reply.  Staysure wouldn't quote us, all clear wanted £3500 for a 10 day trip, we thought insurecancer was better at £1100, but having read some of the comments here and on MacMillan we've now got a quote of £150 from insurancewith, that's dependent on the next blood test so we're keeping everything crossed for the next 3 weeks.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2023 at 22:30

I posted last year re Insurance With. I’d been quoted in the region of £1000 but got cover for a year for myself and my wife for about £400. I have advanced PC diagnosed 2019. 
My policy has just finished so I have to reapply for next year as my meds have changed, so we’ll see what happens.

Like Decho, I didn’t need to claim, so how good they are at paying out, I don’t know. Definitely worth a try though.

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 10:13
Since completing my treatment in November 2019 (ht + 20 sessions of rt) we have made 2 trips abroad, and got travel insurance with Admiral. Full declaration of all medical conditions, of course (including my wife's colonectomy for early bowel cancer), and a very reasonable cost each time. I think we paid around £70 for a week's visit. Give them a try.

Hermit