I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lubrication/Menopause

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 15:57

Prostate cancer is a couples' disease. When there are discussions around re-establishing sex life following surgery or other treatments, the problems associated with menopause, particularly vaginal dryness, are hardly discussed. I asked my wife to make the following contribution which wives/partners who are experiencing menopausal symptoms might find useful. The lubrication she uses is ideal for all couples since with its use the man doesn't need to use any lubrication.

'A great discovery for us was a particular type of vaginal moisturiser called YES VM. At my age although I use Wellsprings Serenity Natural Progesterone Cream for Women (www.wellsprings-health.com), a plant-based hormone replacement cream, I was beginning to have vaginal dryness which was not fun. This amazing stuff can be found by googling www.yesyesyes.org.  I kid you not! It is organic, has no side effects and is better than KY jelly which is rather heavy. I am a really allergic and reactive type and if I can tolerate it so will most people. Do have a look.

Before finding this product, because after prostatectomy Pratap’s penis  no longer had its natural lubrication, he had to use a water-based lubricant like KY Jelly for our comfort. We found this quite unsatisfactory because either he ended up using too much (for my comfort) which he found too slippery to achieve an orgasm or too little which helped him but not too comfortable for me. But the introduction of YES VM solved the problem I could control the amount of lubricant I insert and he uses none. And by trial and error we have been able to control the level of lubricant to suit both of us, such that it is comfortable for me but not too slippery for him; win win! 

For us we find that after loads of what used to be called back in the day, heavy petting, which is fun, (on our bed, best in the afternoon these days as often by night time I am tired) Pratap goes to our en-suite bathroom to pump himself up, during which time I use the individual one time use applicator of the YES VM and wait for him. It’s all fun and works for us anyway.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 12 Nov 2023 at 08:04

Thanks. I saw you posted something on this a while back which I presume got taken down. I hope this stays.

Most lubricants contain glycerine which eventually dries to leave a sticky sugar residue. This is not great, particularly in the vagina where it can promote fungal and bacterial growth. "Yes VM" doesn't contain glycerine. I'm pretty sure the lubricant which comes with the SOMAerect pump is also glycerine-free (although it doesn't say so) because it's wipe-clean without leaving any sticky residue which needs washing to get it off. Unfortunately, glycerine-free lubes are more expensive and harder to find.

When I ran out of the original lube which came with the SOMAerect pump, I did switch to a cheap lube just for penile rehab, necessitating a wash afterwards, but that was just for the vacuum seal and wasn't going anywhere near a vagina.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2023 at 08:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Prostate cancer is a couples' disease. When there are discussions around re-establishing sex life following surgery or other treatments,

Pratap & Jeannie is your profile correct? Are you 84?

If so I take my hat off to you and Jeannie that you still fancy a bit of the other at that age.

Adrian

User
Posted 12 Nov 2023 at 10:59

Hi Adrian

Yes, I am nearly 85 and Jeannie is nearly 80. We are both very lucky to have inherited 'good' genes! 

You have so much to look forward to!

Pratap

Edited by member 13 Nov 2023 at 19:01  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 12 Nov 2023 at 19:57

Hi Adrian

Yes, I am nearly 85 and Jeannie is nearly 80. We are both very lucky to have inherited 'good' genes! 

You have so much to luck forward to!

Pratap

I cannot thank you enough for your pragmatic advice. I was despondent and filled with sadness months after surgery grieving my loss of erection and intimacy with my darling wife. Thankfully, I persevered with the VED and thinks are looking up now.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2023 at 20:16

Hi Adrian

Pratap

I cannot thank you enough for your pragmatic advice. I was despondent and filled with sadness months after surgery grieving my loss of erection and intimacy with my darling wife. Thankfully, I persevered with the VED and thinks are looking up now.

I like it🀣 No matter what age we are, why shouldn’t we have a good sex life if we want one. I ant wait to get my libido back, but in the meantime we can still have some fun😊

User
Posted 13 Nov 2023 at 12:07

Hi Adrian

Pratap

Hi Pratap,

There are no smiley faces and two exclamation marks in your reply. I hope I haven't, in anyway, offended you. πŸ˜•

I admire your libido, openness and optimism; but was genuinely surprised  that octogenarians still regularly make love. 

I have since done a little research, and was equally amazed to find that a recent survey revealed that 32% of men over 80 are still sexually active. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2019/oct/analysis-having-sex-older-age-could-make-you-happier-and-healthier#:~:text=There's%20a%20common%20misconception%20that,those%20aged%2080%20and%20over.

I imagine, however, that that percentage would be much lower for men recovering from prostate cancer. 

As they say, you learn something new everyday. πŸ™‚

As for inherited genes, unfortunately I seem to have inherited most of my late father's 'bad ones'. Big nose, gallows sense of humour and propensity to get prostate cancer. However, I will continue to try and rejuvenate 'Little Adrian', even though its often as frustrating as trying to put a Pontefract Cake in a slot machine. πŸ˜ƒ

Adrian.

Edited by member 13 Nov 2023 at 13:44  | Reason: Spelling.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 21:12

I have since done a little research, and was equally amazed to find that a recent survey revealed that 32% of men over 80 are still sexually active.

You clearly have not been around long enough yet to read about my dad's adventures - 86, widowed / bereaved twice, recently acquired a new partner and still packing his caverject injections when he goes off on his cruises. The sort of thing no daughter really wants to know about her dad :-( 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 21:38

You clearly have not been around long enough yet to read about my dad's adventures - 86, widowed / bereaved twice, recently acquired a new partner and still packing his caverject injections when he goes off on his cruises. The sort of thing no daughter really wants to know about her dad :-( 

Good grief, I'm truly amazed!

I must have peaked early or burnt myself out. If I'm lucky enough to reach 80 I think the only bedroom action I'll  be getting, is dunking a digestive in my Horlicks.