Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about AUR with TP Biopsy -

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 10:27

Howdy to all you good folks,

For my sins I'm now to have a TP biopsy on Friday morning at Guys (and I'm told it will be part of a lecture demonstration, i.e., in front of students), but am concerned about Acute Urinary Retention which I've read can be up to 20%.  I'm 68 years old and my prostate is 29 CC.  I have no idea how many cores are to be taken but I pray it is less than 30.

My flow is reduced to begin with and I'm concerned I will be a sitting duck for the AUR given the swelling.  

I wonder if anyone has any experience in this regard. 

I have to work on both Saturday and Sunday and so need at least to be able to concentrate.  I see in the the various brochures I've read online they tell you the go to A&E if this happens.  Surely that's an all-day affair nowadays - and I would not be able to do that around my work schedule.  

Edited by member 21 Nov 2023 at 11:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 10:27

Howdy to all you good folks,

For my sins I'm now to have a TP biopsy on Friday morning at Guys (and I'm told it will be part of a lecture demonstration, i.e., in front of students), but am concerned about Acute Urinary Retention which I've read can be up to 20%.  I'm 68 years old and my prostate is 29 CC.  I have no idea how many cores are to be taken but I pray it is less than 30.

My flow is reduced to begin with and I'm concerned I will be a sitting duck for the AUR given the swelling.  

I wonder if anyone has any experience in this regard. 

I have to work on both Saturday and Sunday and so need at least to be able to concentrate.  I see in the the various brochures I've read online they tell you the go to A&E if this happens.  Surely that's an all-day affair nowadays - and I would not be able to do that around my work schedule.  

Edited by member 21 Nov 2023 at 11:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 11:22

Hi Meunier

Yes AUR is a potential problem, and thankfully not something I endured. They will not let you leave the hospital until you have emptied your bladder (Ultrasound check). I expect they will also give you some self-catheterisation kits in case it is an urgent problem and you can't get to hospital quickly. Not having AUR treated is dangerous and I would expect A&E triage would treat you as an urgent patient. 

At the end of the day the biopsy is necessary so to some extent you have to go ahead with it knowing all the potential dangers associated with urological procedures, but also appreciating that the great majority of patients do not have this problem. 

I am a little younger and also have a small prostate like you, I am not sure to what extent that reduces the likelihood of AUR given the swelling might be less than someone with a much larger prostate. I was able pee ok within an hour or so of waking. My prostate was 27cc and I had 21 cores taken, I assume there is a correlation between size and core numbers but of course am not an expert. 

Good luck with it. keep us posted on how it goes. 

Tom 

Edited by member 21 Nov 2023 at 11:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 11:10
Yes, it was 24, Adrian.

ALL fingers crossed.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User

Hi Meunier

Yes AUR is a potential problem, and thankfully not something I endured. They will not let you leave the hospital until you have emptied your bladder (Ultrasound check). I expect they will also give you some self-catheterisation kits in case it is an urgent problem and you can't get to hospital quickly. Not having AUR treated is dangerous and I would expect A&E triage would treat you as an urgent patient. 

At the end of the day the biopsy is necessary so to some extent you have to go ahead with it knowing all the potential dangers associated with urological procedures, but also appreciating that the great majority of patients do not have this problem. 

I am a little younger and also have a small prostate like you, I am not sure to what extent that reduces the likelihood of AUR given the swelling might be less than someone with a much larger prostate. I was able pee ok within an hour or so of waking. My prostate was 27cc and I had 21 cores taken, I assume there is a correlation between size and core numbers but of course am not an expert. 

Good luck with it. keep us posted on how it goes. 

Tom 

Edited by member 21 Nov 2023 at 11:29  | Reason: Not specified

User

Morning mate,

I've had two biopsies,  TRUS and TP under general anaesthetic. Neither affected my urine flow just turned it red for a while, but I think my urine flow was pretty normal prior to both procedures.

Adrian

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 13:05
Thanks so Tom and Adrian. Your kind advice is very much appreciated. Truly.
User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 17:58

Hi Meunier. I also had poor flow prior to my transrectal biopsy but I had no problem with AUR afterward. Flow seemed to remain the same, although somewhat bloody as already mentioned. I did experience AUR further down the line after my RP. That in itself is quite unusual but my visit to A&E for re-catheterisation wasn't such an ordeal. Like everyone else I was triaged and got to the front of the queue. In hindsight I wish I had presented at A&E sooner but it was dealt with in a timely manner. It happened again after the catheter was removed but this time I was shown how to self catheterise and sent home with a box of catheters. Self catheterisation sounds terrible but it's not. It is quite straight forward. In all probability you won't suffer AUC but it you do it's not such a big deal.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 18:31

It might be worth talking to the urology staff on Friday to see what the procedure is, if you do got into retention. I went into retention after a totally different procedure and was told to got straight to my urology ward and that was on a Saturday morning. Our A&E department is in a separate campus to the urology ward about 3 miles away.

In ten years of numerous procedures I only went into retention once.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 21 Nov 2023 at 18:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 19:26

Thanks so to the two Chris'. My understanding is that TPB have a greater habit of AUR than the TR ones. Still all fingers crossed that I won't bump into this. Hopefully the size of my prostate will be an advantage under these circumstances.  Don't worry, I'll definitely be bringing this up with the urology staff.  

Edited by member 21 Nov 2023 at 19:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Nov 2023 at 20:18

Hi Meunier,

I had a Transperineal Biopsy, with a prostate size of 28cc and had no issues with urinary retention afterwards (but unlike your good self, I didn't have that problem before the procedure either).

Best of luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 08:57

I had 2 biopsies in 2021, one local and one under a GA and apart from blood in the urine had no retention issues afterwards. My prostate was 55 cc in size and I had low flow (Had been getting lower for years), both of which following my surgery are no longer a  problem: Because my prostate was removed and because following its removal I have the flow of a 16 year old.

By the way, I have just responded to your private message

Ivan

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 09:44
Oh, Ivan -

YOU ARE A STAR.

I cannot express how much your response here means to me. Truly it does.

THANKS SO.

Cheers,

Bruce

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 21:51

You could ask for some Tamsulosin to take if you're worried. They actually gave me this as a matter of course at my second biopsy, but I didn't need it.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 21:55
Brilliant. Thanks so, Andy. That's most reassuring.
User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 09:11

Just to say that I had my TPB yesterday and it was, happily, without incident. I did wait about for a couple of hours following the procedure but didn't produce anything - even though I did drink two bottles of water. (At this hospital they don't actually require that people DO pass urine before departure.  'It could take hours,' the nurse said.)  Still, after going home and having something to eat and drink I did pass urine easily within the stated six hour window without any 'noticeable blood' in the mix. I did a dipstick and there was, of course, blood there.

In a sense I enjoyed the TPB .... if, that is, sitting in a medieval torture chair somewhat upside down with air darts being pummelled into your behind might actually be said to be fun! Necessary, of course.

I had the privilege of the procedure being undertaken by a consultant - who was most kind and informative - as he was giving instruction to two guest urologists from France. I was allowed to watch alongside them on the screen which also gave me the benefit of the precise instruction (including notations on the procedural differences in France) as well as being able also to ask more detailed questions myself. I was, sincerely, grateful and found it fascinating.

Edited by member 25 Nov 2023 at 09:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 11:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Just to say that I had my TPB yesterday and it was, happily, without incident.

I'm glad all went well, mate. Did they say how many cores they took. I had 24.

6 right targeted, 6 right random, 6 left targeted, 6 left random.

Fingers crossed for good results. 

Adrian

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 11:10
Yes, it was 24, Adrian.

ALL fingers crossed.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 15:23
Interesting that you had French urologists present as I live in France and did discuss TP with my urologist last year and was told that it was not usual here in France and that they were generally rectal, as mine was. Maybe they are beginning to change given the reduced infection risks of TP.
User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 00:42

Hi Meunier, let's hope you get a negative, or insignificant result.

Steve, the widespread adoption of TP biopsy in UK is very recent. NICE issued new guidance less than a year ago. I guess all healthcare providers look at their neighbours to see what the latest thinking is.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 08:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Steve, the widespread adoption of TP biopsy in UK is very recent. NICE issued new guidance less than a year ago. I guess all healthcare providers look at their neighbours to see what the latest thinking is.

It's nice to see that important things such as healthcare are not getting caught up in all the Brexit palaver.