I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain after radical prostectomy

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 07:08

Husband 3 weeks post radical prostatectomy with pain in groin areas - is this normal? Nurses just saying paracetamol unless gets worse. Appreciate there is going to be pain for a long time but the problem is recognising if any thing is not as it should be. Thanks for reading.

Edited by member 01 Dec 2023 at 12:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 14:22

Thank you so much Chris (love your photo) and Lyn, very helpful. Yes I wondered if it was scar tissue or just repairing. Not getting worse, better after walking, seems to be worse when/after lying down and not debilitating. Trying to get advice from GP and nurses too. Thanks again.

Edited by member 01 Dec 2023 at 14:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 14:16

Katie, this was posted a few days ago, it may have some similarities.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29934-Abdominal-discomfort#post288157

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 08:19

Thanks for reassurance. Hope you're ok. 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I am almost 4 weeks post RARP and have pain at the rectum

Hi Richard,

My wife says I am a pain in the rectum. Love the avatar. Was the thumbs up before of after the op?

Hi Katie

I found after the op that my belly was so inflated it was very uncomfortable for ages. Apparently they pump a gas into you, to separate the organs, to make it easier to delve about. I moaned about feeling as inflated as a Space Hopper. I was told you couldn't fart it out and it would gradually deflate. As I said it took ages for me and it was quite painful at times.

Adrian

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 18:57  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 14:16

Katie, this was posted a few days ago, it may have some similarities.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29934-Abdominal-discomfort#post288157

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 14:22

Thank you so much Chris (love your photo) and Lyn, very helpful. Yes I wondered if it was scar tissue or just repairing. Not getting worse, better after walking, seems to be worse when/after lying down and not debilitating. Trying to get advice from GP and nurses too. Thanks again.

Edited by member 01 Dec 2023 at 14:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 15:43
Very normal. Huge op. I had pain for weeks , numbness on both thighs for months , and some adhesions where things heal together that shouldn’t. They took a couple of years to free themselves. Good luck 👍
User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 08:19

Thanks for reassurance. Hope you're ok. 

User
Posted 03 Dec 2023 at 10:16
If he gets any associated numbness in his leg then it might be worth asking for a CT scan to check for a lymphocele. I had this a couple of weeks post RARP and it was 8cm in size and pressing on the nerve. They popped me in to drain it (not painful) and it's been fine ever since. It's where they remove the lymph node during the RARP and it leaks a bit afterwards.
User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:02

I am almost 4 weeks post RARP and have pain at the rectum, the penis, the abdomen just above the penis (feels like bad gas).  As many have commented, even though the external scars are quite small, there is an awful lot of work performed internally.  Things get moved around, pulled on, cut and rearranged, ends of things get cauterized and stitched.  It really is major surgery.  It is good to be aware of physical feelings, and if you have a mechanism to email your doctor, if for no other reason than to ease your mind, then I would do that.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I am almost 4 weeks post RARP and have pain at the rectum

Hi Richard,

My wife says I am a pain in the rectum. Love the avatar. Was the thumbs up before of after the op?

Hi Katie

I found after the op that my belly was so inflated it was very uncomfortable for ages. Apparently they pump a gas into you, to separate the organs, to make it easier to delve about. I moaned about feeling as inflated as a Space Hopper. I was told you couldn't fart it out and it would gradually deflate. As I said it took ages for me and it was quite painful at times.

Adrian

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 18:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 19:56
Adrianus, the picture was taken just before they wheeled me into the OR.
User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 13:42

Hi Katie.

I had my "walnut" removed by RARP in November '23. G7(4+3), T3b.
What your husband is experiencing, from what I've been told & experienced, is perfectly normal. RARP is a major surgery and it will take time for your body to return to normal. (But if he is concerned he should contact his health professional). I'm lucky as I have unfettered access, Mon-Fri, to a designated UCAN facility if I need any questions answered.

In my case I had a horrible stingy/prickly/burning sensation in my pubic area and inside of my upper right thigh. I also had what felt like an aching lump in the right side upper groin area. The stingy/burning/prickly sensation has all but gone. I understand that there a lot of nerves in the area that can be aggravated during the procedure, resulting in the stinging sensation.

The lump thingy is due to the lymph nodes being removed. It's not as achy as it was, as I massage the area for a few minutes 3 times a day and appears to be reducing. I also took a bad reaction to the internal stitches. Itchy red rash all across the front of my stomach for 3-4 weeks, drove me bonkers! It looked and felt like prickly-heat. Hydrocortisone cream sorted that out in about a week. The 5 small scars are now healing nicely. I still get the odd twinge now and again but I'm still in the early stages of recovery.

Over Xmas I felt hellish! Yep, UTI. I was admitted to hospital on the 27th of December. I was on a 2000mg Aztreonam drip every 6hrs for a week to treat the Pseudomonas bacteria/infection. Happy New Year? You're having a giraffe mate! At midnight I had a cup of hot chocolate and a choccy biscuit with the fantastic nurses looking after me. I left hospital in good fettle, and walked home, (about an hour). Felt great. A week ago the plumbing didn't feel right. Went to my GP and submitted a pee sample. Came back with a slight trace of the original infection still present. I'm now on a week's course of Cipro. Get thee behind me UTI.

Before I left hospital my PSA was down to 0.16ng/ml down from 22. Yay!! Next PSA check in April.
Good luck to your husband with his recovery. And don't stress.....too much.

-Taps14

Edited by member 19 Jan 2024 at 18:30  | Reason: Added info.