Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi newbie here worried with a few questions

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 15:07

Hi all,

I hope you don’t mind me joining your community, I feel as though I shouldn’t be pestering you as I don’t have my biopsy until 20th December, so being the optimist I am, nothing is confirmed yet, but I can’t help worrying. 

I’ve had a rollercoaster couple of months following a blood test ordered my my GP after an innocent conversation I had with him about my waterworks, which I just thought was down to my age. He sent me for blood tests and the results came out, I can’t remember if he said very high or extremely high. I didn’t get chance to ask questions as the results were fed back over the phone. 

I visited a urologist who said there is something there but he couldn’t tell properly as he had difficulty doing the examination. He sent me for an MRI scan. A few weeks later I receive a letter saying a telephone conversation had been booked with another Dr or Consultant, I don’t know which. At this point I thought great, they don’t give bad news over the phone. 

I got the call and the Dr / Consultant said “we should really be meeting face to face, I don’t know why they arranged a telephone appointment” he continued that I have a “high risk” of prostrate cancer. I had it in my mind I was ok, so it came as a shock. The conversation lasted 5 to 10 minutes, he told me what he was going to say in his letter to me, but it didn’t sink in, I wasn’t given the opportunity to ask questions, so I don’t know why it’s considered “highly likely”. I’m  still waiting for the letter almost 3 weeks later. My GP hasn’t received a letter either,  however I do know I’ve been referred for the biopsy and I rang up to book that myself. 

Talking  of the biopsy, I’m unsure, well I’ve read here what it involves, but I’m worried about the size of the probe they use, I’ve seen things ranging from the size of 2 fingers to one finger, either way it’s not going to be easy following a hemorrhoids operation I had 12 years ago, so I’m worried about this, my biopsy is under a local anaesthetic as I’d have to wait months for a general anaesthetic option, I’m just hoping it won’t be painful, but again I haven’t been able to talk to anyone about this. 

As I said at the outset, I’m not diagnosed yet, so I feel I really shouldn’t be bothering you with these questions, it’s just that I have questions and I just need my mind putting at rest. 

Thank you

stephen 😁

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi all,

I hope you don’t mind me joining your community, I feel as though I shouldn’t be pestering you as I don’t have my biopsy until 20th December, so being the optimist I am, nothing is confirmed yet, but I can’t help worrying. 

Hi Stephen,

Nice to meet you, but wish it had been under better circumstances.

I had the TRUS biopsy and didn't find it too unpleasant. I thanked the consultant for being gentle with me. He said it had been easy because I'd been relaxed and had a receptive anus. (Ooh Matron, I thought)

When I went back to the wife who was waiting in the car, I boosted about my receptive anus. She said, "I'm amazed, I've always found you to be an awkward ar*eh*le."

Best of luck mate, you'll be fine.

PS:  Don't tell him you want a second opinion or they may try and stick two up you. πŸ˜‰

Adrian

Edited by member 20 Jan 2024 at 16:55  | Reason: To add a hopefully humorous remark.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:26

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the forum. I sympathise with your confusion in the whirlwind that follows a high PSA test etc. I would recommend you keep a notebook to put all the dates and information as you get it as its so hard to stay on top of everything when you are stressed. 

Regarding your concern about the biopsy; I had mine earlier this year and also have a history of a botched haemorrhoid op and subsequent fissure repair. I was extremely worried about the procedure but I had no problems from the wand, well maybe minimal soreness, but nothing to worry about. I had my biopsy under a GA, which I would recommend if it's available, but it sounds like it isn't in your area. I did though have an ultrasound wand used on me without anaesthetic during the brachytherapy assessment and it was fine. I would guess that the wand is about two fingers in circumference, maybe less. This all is presupposing you have a trans-perineal biopsy as is the norm, but some places still perform it trans-rectally, in which case it may well be different, I don't know.

All the best with it. if you have any questions there are always people here who can help.

Tom

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 16:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:30

Hi had I biopsy it isn't nice but tolerable had local anesthetic my self bit sore after with blood in my semen and water for a few days but over in a few minutes don't worry too much we have all been through this good luck and hope it all goes well  gaz πŸ‘

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:14

Hi had I biopsy it isn't nice but tolerable had local anesthetic my self bit sore after with blood in my semen and water for a few days but over in a few minutes don't worry too much we have all been through this good luck and hope it all goes well  gaz πŸ‘

Hi Gaz, 

Thanks for your reassurance, I think when you don’t know what’s going to happen, your mind goes into overdrive. It’s good to know it’s tolerable, I think I need to grit my teeth and grow a pair. 

thanks Stephen 😁

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:26

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the forum. I sympathise with your confusion in the whirlwind that follows a high PSA test etc. I would recommend you keep a notebook to put all the dates and information as you get it as its so hard to stay on top of everything when you are stressed. 

Regarding your concern about the biopsy; I had mine earlier this year and also have a history of a botched haemorrhoid op and subsequent fissure repair. I was extremely worried about the procedure but I had no problems from the wand, well maybe minimal soreness, but nothing to worry about. I had my biopsy under a GA, which I would recommend if it's available, but it sounds like it isn't in your area. I did though have an ultrasound wand used on me without anaesthetic during the brachytherapy assessment and it was fine. I would guess that the wand is about two fingers in circumference, maybe less. This all is presupposing you have a trans-perineal biopsy as is the norm, but some places still perform it trans-rectally, in which case it may well be different, I don't know.

All the best with it. if you have any questions there are always people here who can help.

Tom

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 16:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:30

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:38

Hi all,

Hi Stephen,

I had the TRUS biopsy and didn't find it too unpleasant. I thanked the consultant for being gentle with me. He said it had been easy because I'd been relaxed and had a receptive anus. (Ooh Matron, I thought)

When I went back to the wife who was waiting in the car, I boosted about my receptive anus. She said, "I'm amazed, I've always found you to be an awkward ar*eh*le."

PS:  Don't tell him you want a second opinion or they may try and stick two up you. πŸ˜‰

Adrian

Edited by member 20 Jan 2024 at 16:55  | Reason: To add a hopefully humorous remark.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:03

Thanks Tom, the diary idea is brilliant, I’ll do that. 

I haven’t a clue what type of biopsy I’m having, which I know sounds stupid, I just feel like I’m in the dark over all of what’s happening, which doesn’t help your mind going off on all different tangents. 

I appreciate you taking the time to reassure meπŸ‘

thanks Stephen 😁

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:06

Hi Stephen

Tom

Thanks Tom, the diary idea is brilliant, I’ll do that. 

I haven’t a clue what type of biopsy I’m having, which I know sounds stupid, I just feel like I’m in the dark over all of what’s happening, which doesn’t help your mind going off on all different tangents. 

I appreciate you taking the time to reassure meπŸ‘

thanks Stephen 😁

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:10

Hi all,

Hi Stephen,

When I went back to the wife who was waiting in the car, I boosted about my receptive anus. She said, "I'm amazed, I've always found you to be awkward ar*eh*le."

Adrian

Hi Adrianus, Thanks for making me laugh, my wife would say the same 🀭. You have helped me to think that oerhsis I’m over thinking things and it’s not going to be as bad as I thought . 

thanks Stephen 😁

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:14

Hi Gaz, 

Thanks for your reassurance, I think when you don’t know what’s going to happen, your mind goes into overdrive. It’s good to know it’s tolerable, I think I need to grit my teeth and grow a pair. 

thanks Stephen 😁

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 22:17
Hi Stephen

I had a biopsy yesterday and I was really, really stressed about it!

Ive just written a long post about my experience which ends with:

And that was it! Lots of anxiety that was largely unnecessary, but an unusual experience. It was more strange and uncomfortable than painful.

My post is my first and it is being checked before it’s published. Maybe search for β€˜biopsy yesterday’ soon and it will be there?

In the meantime have a look at this YouTube video that I found quite reassuring and a true representation of what happens:

https://youtu.be/pfGFUVzkd7I?si=zfIzevv7TzWV4JU5

Best wishes

Mike