I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My PSA has risen

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 16:57

I stopped HT in 2020 and my PSA has been less than 1.0 for a long time now.   

My oncology appointment last June it was 0.49, yesterday’s appointment it was 2.12.  It’s gone up fourfold in 6 months.

My Oncologist is suggesting a CT scan and bone scan.

To be honest I’m a bit shocked by this rise.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 10:32

I had CT scan and Nuclear bone scan on 23rd January, yesterday I got the results - both scans clear and no evidence of cancer anywhere in my body.

Oncologist is happy with the results (me too!), next appointment in 3-4 months time.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 08:41
Hi AWR, long time since I've read your posts. I recall your consultant, as like now  was always on the ball. It certainly needs to be checked out. However some of that increase is possibly recovering healthy cells starting to produce notable amounts of PSA.

As my PSA record shows it was circa 3 yrs before the spike, which settled back down but then another spike which resulted in referral. As biopsy was clear and PSA dropped it was left at contine to monitor.

I found that referral more hard to stomach than initial diagnosis but we carry on.

Ray

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 10:59

Thanks everyone for your replies, HT was the option last time and I wouldn’t be too unhappy to go back on that.

We moved away from where I was being treated etc to be near our daughter as my wife is disabled, I decided to keep with the same oncology team as they were so good to me.  Unfortunately it means a bit of a journey as we don’t have our own transport. Perhaps I hadn’t thought it out too well.

It was a strange morning when I went for the blood tests, when I got to the hospital they didn’t have my details on their screen (they don’t do hard copy forms now).  I ended up outside in the freezing cold phoning oncology to get them to send over my info!  

Thankfully  it came over within half an hour or I would have had to make another visit.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 11:12

Arthur, sorry to see the disappointing news. Hope they can come up with an acceptable solution. Having had lots of CT and bone scans that did not show anything, followed a few months later with a PSMA scan that lit up a tumor, I wonder why they do the bone and CT scans in situations like yours. I am sure the scholars will have an answer.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 12:00

Delighted to hear your good news Arthur 👍

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 14:47
Brilliant
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 15:43

Really please for you AWR, a wee celebration in order?

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 17:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I had CT scan and Nuclear bone scan on 23rd January, yesterday I got the results - both scans clear and no evidence of cancer anywhere in my body.

Great news Arthur!

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 20:25
Nice. Best wishes 👌
User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 21:42

AWR, great news.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 20:57

Hi AWR 1946,

So sorry to hear this.  Hope they can come up with some answers quickly.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 21:43
Really sorry to hear that AWR 1946, it must be tough when you’ve been through the rigours of RT and HT and then find your PSA rising.

I wish you all the best for whatever treatment comes next.

Derek

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 21:49

To be honest I’m a bit shocked by this rise.

Which is totally understandable. I've just read your profile, didn't you go through a similar rise in 2019. This disease is so cruel. It seems to lull you into a sense of false security until it decides its time to raise its ugly head again.

I hope you get a speedy resolution. Are you expecting them to put you back on HT?

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 08:41
Hi AWR, long time since I've read your posts. I recall your consultant, as like now  was always on the ball. It certainly needs to be checked out. However some of that increase is possibly recovering healthy cells starting to produce notable amounts of PSA.

As my PSA record shows it was circa 3 yrs before the spike, which settled back down but then another spike which resulted in referral. As biopsy was clear and PSA dropped it was left at contine to monitor.

I found that referral more hard to stomach than initial diagnosis but we carry on.

Ray

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 10:59

Thanks everyone for your replies, HT was the option last time and I wouldn’t be too unhappy to go back on that.

We moved away from where I was being treated etc to be near our daughter as my wife is disabled, I decided to keep with the same oncology team as they were so good to me.  Unfortunately it means a bit of a journey as we don’t have our own transport. Perhaps I hadn’t thought it out too well.

It was a strange morning when I went for the blood tests, when I got to the hospital they didn’t have my details on their screen (they don’t do hard copy forms now).  I ended up outside in the freezing cold phoning oncology to get them to send over my info!  

Thankfully  it came over within half an hour or I would have had to make another visit.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 11:12

Arthur, sorry to see the disappointing news. Hope they can come up with an acceptable solution. Having had lots of CT and bone scans that did not show anything, followed a few months later with a PSMA scan that lit up a tumor, I wonder why they do the bone and CT scans in situations like yours. I am sure the scholars will have an answer.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 10:32

Oncologist is happy with the results (me too!), next appointment in 3-4 months time.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 12:00

Delighted to hear your good news Arthur 👍

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 14:47
Brilliant
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 15:43

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 16:53

All the best,

Derek

Definitely!

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 17:22

Great news Arthur!

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 20:25
Nice. Best wishes 👌
User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 21:42

AWR, great news.

Thanks Chris