I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

worried family

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 09:28

Hello.  First time here and just wanting to ask a question.  My dad has had an MRI which showed a small mass, contained to the prostrate, they gave it a grade of 4. He had his biopsies 3 weeks ago and has an appointment tomorrow with the nurse at the hospital.  We are both wondering if this is a good sign, that he is seeing a nurse and not a consultant ? He is 80 years old, really active, plays golf three times a week and the only reason he was sent for a PSA test, which by the way was scores 14. Was because he was and still does have hip and groin pain.  He went for an x Ray for this and was told he has degenerative disc disease. Which I guess for his age is normal.  I just wanted to know.  If cancer was found. Would he be going straight to see a consultant and is seeing the nurse a positive thought ? 

thanks for any advise

debbie 

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 21:09

Thank you Colwickchris ❤️

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 09:59

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on whether a nurse or consultant. BTW at 80 nearly all men have some signs of cancer in their prostate, and usually it has been there a long time and is not doing any harm. So the real question is likely to be, is there any need to do anything about his cancer?

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 09:59

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on whether a nurse or consultant. BTW at 80 nearly all men have some signs of cancer in their prostate, and usually it has been there a long time and is not doing any harm. So the real question is likely to be, is there any need to do anything about his cancer?

Dave

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 10:49

Thank you Dave for your reply.  My worry is that he had had hip and groin pain for sometime and been told to treat it with over the counter pain meds. He was also told to continue with his golf.  He used to do the walk across the course three times a week, he’s now using a buggy.  I have read that that could mean there are metases in that area even though the cancer is contained. It’s hard not to worry about him. 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 11:44

Most people with metastasis have a PSA over 50 and usually in the 100s. It is possible he has metastasis with a PSA of 14, but fairly unlikely.

Edited by member 12 Dec 2023 at 23:13  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 12:14

Thank you for your reply Dave.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2023 at 19:45

So I went to the hospital yesterday with my dad and he has prostrate cancer T2.  They have started him on hormone therapy and he will be starting radiotherapy for 4 weeks, everyday.  They also want him to have a bone scan.  I’m guessing this is normal procedure.  We feel shocked and I just want to be able to help him as best as I can.  He is 80 and luckily never had any illness, taken any medications.  He is fit.  They talked him through the daily procedure, enema and water.  Do you have any tips to help/advise please ? Is it easy to do 

User
Posted 14 Dec 2023 at 21:35

Hi Debbie,

Bone scan is pretty standard practice just to make sure there is no spread, better safe than sorry.

I had radiotherapy for 4 weeks which finished in May, and I wouldn’t worry about it. For me the HT is far worse than RT. The Radiotherapy team will guide him through everything, I found them absolutely wonderful…so supportive and understanding, they know what you’re going through. I had to use an enema for 10 days and it was no issue. Because I live more than 30 mins from the hospital, I drove(my wife came some of the time)  to the hospital, reported in and checked they were running on time(Important!), locked myself in one of the toilets and used the enema. I just stayed in the toilet until it worked(as advised), it makes it much less stressful knowing you don’t have to rush to the loo! I also emptied my bladder as much as possible.

Coming out of the loo I then drank the required amount of water and just waited to be called. I tried to keep occupied(I wrote a poem about my journey🤣) which kept my mind of needing a pee. If your dad is struggling to hold on, let the staff know and they will advise. 
I found it helps if your times are roughly the same each day as your body gets into a routine(your bowels and bladder).

If you have a journey home by car I would recommend buying a pee bottle just in case you can’t stop. You can get them on Amazon. I also carried a towel and some wipes in case I had an urgent need, but that only happened once….I think the security of knowing you’ve got a backup helps you hold on!

I wish your dad all the luck with his treatment and think he is very lucky to have you by his side.

Derek

User
Posted 14 Dec 2023 at 21:38

Thank you Derek for all that information, very useful indeed.  Thank you also for your kind words.  

best wishes Debbie 

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 17:48

I've no tips but that sounds good Debbie.   At 80 there is a risk they think you're not up to the treatment or might not live long enough to make it worthwhile.   They must think he'll last a long time.

Even if it they didn't give him curative treatment i.e. radiotherapy,  the treatments he could have, hormones and similar, could see him through to 85, 90 or more.  As you're no doubt aware regular psa tests will be needed now starting at 3 monthly, then 6 monthly, with an appointment to see a doctor. Then they make them less regular with phone calls after about 3 years.   All the best Peter

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 18:13

Hi Debbie

The advice from Derek is spot on. When I had my RT there were changing cubicles in the waiting area and we were asked to change into a dressing gown and take slippers. It saves time in the treatment room.

Good luck, don't worry

Peternigel

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 18:32

Thank you so much.  All this information helps ease my mind :) 

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 18:43

Debbie, similar to others. My appointments were at different times of the day. I used the enema at home roughly a couple of hours before my treatment time. I drank some water on the way to hospital,when I arrived at the hospital I made sure they were on time. I emptied my bladder then drank the required amount of water. I wore elasticated jogging type bottoms ,they just pulled the trousers and underwear slightly down without revealing my privates.

I was told I could take a urine bottle into the treatment room and use it if there was an emergency. Find out were the nearest toilet is to the treatment room and also find a back up toilet just in case.

Good advice about the bottle and trowel, I do/did find it difficult to urinate while sat in a car seat, fortunately it only happened a couple of times 

Hope all goes well for him.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 21:09

Thank you Colwickchris ❤️

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 06:29

Thank you Peter ❤️