Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemical Bone Scan

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 11:53

Hello everyone.  

my dad recently diagnosed with Gleason 8 T2.  Has had a catheter fitted Xmas eve due to retention. He’s still in bit of shock with all this.  Keeps saying his life has changed. 80 years old and fit. Golf three times a week. Cycles everywhere, tends to his huge garden etc.  has started HRT, he is also on Tamulosin. He is having a bone scan scheduled for this Saturday, saying he doesn’t want to go in the machine as he has severe issues with being in enclosed space.  They have suggested a chemical bone scan. Has anyone else had this ? Sounds quite a long procedure. Waiting for several hours . Does he need this bone scan if he has had an xray and MRI.  I feel scared for him.  Any advise would be so appreciated. 

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 12:14

Hi, 

The bone scan I had, is not like being enclosed in an MRI tube; I lay on a flat bed, where the narrow scanning arch progresses along the body. Took about 30 mins, but no claustrophobia. The chemical takes a few hours to enter the bones. I went shopping and had lunch before returning to the hospital for the scan.

Hope this helps

P.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 13:59

It's called a nuclear bone scan, or just bone scan for short (or in radiography, skeletal scintigraphy).

I addition to Dave's excellent comments, they want you to drink so you need to pee a couple of times before the scan, to try and wash out the isotope which hasn't been absorbed into bone, so they can more clearly see just the bones rather than your kidneys and bladder where most of the isotope ends up. Also, avoid anything which causes sweating as that can leave the isotope on your skin, which again would downgrade the bone images.

As a few people have found out, if you have an accident and pee on your clothes, that will light up very brightly on the scan even if you think it dried out.

As said, this scanner isn't claustrophobic. You lay on a table and two gamma ray cameras slowly move the length of your body (one above and one below you, although you won't see the one below). It took 20 mins IIRC, during which you have to lay as still as possible.

I recall wondering what sort of lead-lined box the tracer injection would come in, but it didn't - it was just a regular syringe, with the radiographer not taking any specific precautions I could see.

Edited by member 02 Jan 2024 at 14:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 19:25

I had this bone scan and it was just as Dave described it.  I’m waiting for an appointment another one now.

The radioactive material was injected via a cannula, and encouraged to drink to get it to get it flowing around your body.

From memory I believe you have to avoid close contact with pregnant women , babies or young children, or keep time together very short whilst the radioactive tracer in still in your body.

Drink plenty afterwards to flush it out of your system.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 12:13

It is five years since I had a bone scan. So I may not remember all the details. I have not heard it referred to as a "chemical" bone scan. It is not as long a procedure as you may think.

He will be injected with a radioactive isotope first and then he can go and have a sandwich and a coffee. If he needs a pee they will tell him to use the toilet in the bone scan department (they can deal with radioactive pee).

After about three hours the chemical is distributed in his body and he can be scanned. He will lie on a bed and a large white metal plate about 2 feet by 4 feet will be about six inches above him for about 3 minutes they will move the plate to the side and in total it is used in about six positions. So total time is about 20 minutes. It is not claustrophobic as there are no sides to the bed, the plate is flat, so there is plenty of free space around.

I think it is better he has the scan so he has all the information to choose the right treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 12:14

Hi, 

The bone scan I had, is not like being enclosed in an MRI tube; I lay on a flat bed, where the narrow scanning arch progresses along the body. Took about 30 mins, but no claustrophobia. The chemical takes a few hours to enter the bones. I went shopping and had lunch before returning to the hospital for the scan.

Hope this helps

P.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 13:59

It's called a nuclear bone scan, or just bone scan for short (or in radiography, skeletal scintigraphy).

I addition to Dave's excellent comments, they want you to drink so you need to pee a couple of times before the scan, to try and wash out the isotope which hasn't been absorbed into bone, so they can more clearly see just the bones rather than your kidneys and bladder where most of the isotope ends up. Also, avoid anything which causes sweating as that can leave the isotope on your skin, which again would downgrade the bone images.

As a few people have found out, if you have an accident and pee on your clothes, that will light up very brightly on the scan even if you think it dried out.

As said, this scanner isn't claustrophobic. You lay on a table and two gamma ray cameras slowly move the length of your body (one above and one below you, although you won't see the one below). It took 20 mins IIRC, during which you have to lay as still as possible.

I recall wondering what sort of lead-lined box the tracer injection would come in, but it didn't - it was just a regular syringe, with the radiographer not taking any specific precautions I could see.

Edited by member 02 Jan 2024 at 14:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 18:07

Thank you Dave for your reply.  I will pass all that onto my dad.  I think this all helps reassure him and me :)

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 18:08

Thank you Andy :)

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 19:25

I had this bone scan and it was just as Dave described it.  I’m waiting for an appointment another one now.

The radioactive material was injected via a cannula, and encouraged to drink to get it to get it flowing around your body.

From memory I believe you have to avoid close contact with pregnant women , babies or young children, or keep time together very short whilst the radioactive tracer in still in your body.

Drink plenty afterwards to flush it out of your system.