I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

UTI symptoms but no infection

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 13:53

Hi hope you’ve all had a good Xmas and new year! It’s a long time since I’ve been on here so apologies in advance if I’ve done this wrong, I’ve searched for existing conversations and can’t find anything similar. So…
My husband was diagnosed 14.5yrs ago had RT and has been on hormone therapy ever since.  His PSA has been below 1 for all that time, it crept up a little before Xmas after several water back to back water infections, he’s had them regularly for the last 18-24mths.  This time he has all the symptoms but the Pharmacist says no infection.  His original diagnosis was described as aggressive and I feel like we’ve been so so lucky this far, is this where the wheels start to come off or are we panicking prematurely? He has a GP apt next week, just struggling with the uti type symptoms at the moment - burning, multiple urges in the night but limited flow, urge when standing, only relief is when seated.  Does it have to be the cancer raising its head again or is an enlarged prostate or something else possible? Hoping against hope his luck will hold, he’s just starting to look forward to retirement.

TIA - your time is much appreciated 

Emma 

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 14:23

I think your good luck is still with you. The symptoms are very much like a UTI. It is certainly possible for it not to be picked up on a urine test (I believe some tests are more sensitive than others). Prostate cancer would only have symptoms (usually in the bones) when it is very advanced. As his PSA is still low I would be very surprised if he has very advanced cancer.

What I have said above is true for normal prostate cancers, which is about 80-90% of them. We never know anything for certain, and your husband's cancer is not behaving normally (in a good way) as it has remained dormant for so long. I think the chances that he has an aggressive cancer that produces low PSA and creates symptoms in the UTI rather than the bones is vanishingly small, but you need an oncologist opinion to be certain.

Dave