Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Swollen hands

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 11:32

Hi All

I have recently had problems with stiff wrists, fingers and hands plus swollen hands, particularly in the mornings.

Does anyone have experience of this? Is it likely caused by my treatments?

Thanks

John

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 08:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Thanks Decho. I have pains in my knees as well but not so bad as in my hands, fingers and wrists. Do you think it is Prostap that causes it?

Yes! I never had trouble with my knees or hands before I started on this stuff.I also get sore ankles after I walk and  shoulders when I go to the gym. Some people say it’s down to the lack of testosterone, but I’m not so sure that the dug itself is also partly to blame - if not why would the CNS say to be that Prostap is one of the kinder ADT drugs!
This all started about 9 months into Prostap around the same time as I had RT but I don’t blame the RT. Might be worth trying Voltarol Max strength. You can buy it over the counter at pharmacies but it’s £20 a tube so if it continues to help I’m going to try and get it on prescription. Strangely enough my hands got better when I started to massage it into my knees….with my hands of course!

I get my next HT jab today😟, the only thing that keeps me going is that I’m on the homeward stretch now after 18 months and my PSA continues to fall…now 0.1, was 0.9 at the start of RT. I’m going to ask her if it’s ok to continue using Voltarol.

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 09:55

I’ve had stiff and slightly swollen hands

It's a cruel old disease, leaves everything stiff and swollen apart from what should be.

Joking apart, I think most of us are of a 'certain age' where we're suffering from aches and pains and various other ailments linked with getting old. The problem is when you've been diagnosed with cancer, it or the side effects of treatment you're receiving for it, are the first things you blame.

Edited by member 04 Jan 2024 at 09:56  | Reason: Spelling.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 16:23

CNS gave me the all clear for using NSAID gels in my knees. I asked my pharmacist if they could prescribe some Voltarol(they can do this in Scotland and of course it’s free😊). They couldn’t prescribe voltarol but could prescribe Phorpain max which has 10% ibuprofen. Voltarol uses diclofenac but they have the same effect.

My feeling is that there’s too many men which develop joint ache when they are on HT to say it’s just an age thing. Yes maybe it could be the start of something more sinister but I never got joint ache in my knees, shoulders, ankles, hands and elbows before I started HT. it really scares me that this might be the start of arthritis, or that I won’t get most my mobility back when treatment finishes, which is why I’m doing everything I can ATM to improve my QOL.

Im off on holiday tomorrow for 3 weeks to Fuerteventura to escape this dreadful Scottish winter. I’ll be swimming in the pool every day(bought myself a cheap wet suit as the pools a bit chilly this time of year), walking and eBiking. It’s a great time of year to do this out there as the weather is lovely, but it’s not too hot😎and it’ll be interesting to see how this affects my joints🤔

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 21:58

Prostap doesnt just block testosterone it blocks estrogen too and men need a bit of estrogen along with testosterone

A symptom of low estrogen can be arthritis so having plant estrogens - phytoestrogens - may help you  , flaxseed oil is an excellent phytoestrogen you can buy it in Sainsburys near the olive oil there are many more phytoestrogens do some research 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 22:10

Thanks for that Lizzo37, I will look into that.

Derek

User
Posted 05 Jan 2024 at 08:37

Many thanks for your advice Lizzo.

Will see what I can find.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 18:52

What treatment are you on?  Zoladex can cause side effects like that.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 19:31
Hi. No it's not that one. It's Prostap. Do you know if that could cause it as well?
User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 21:57

I’ve had stiff and slightly swollen hands in the morning on Prostap but seems to have passed. Knees are my  biggest problem. Keep exercising them as much as possible. I’ve started using Max Strength Votarol on my knees and walking more, and it seems to be helping.

Edited by member 03 Jan 2024 at 21:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 08:25
Thanks Decho. I have pains in my knees as well but not so bad as in my hands, fingers and wrists. Do you think it is Prostap that causes it?
User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 08:51

Yes! I never had trouble with my knees or hands before I started on this stuff.I also get sore ankles after I walk and  shoulders when I go to the gym. Some people say it’s down to the lack of testosterone, but I’m not so sure that the dug itself is also partly to blame - if not why would the CNS say to be that Prostap is one of the kinder ADT drugs!
This all started about 9 months into Prostap around the same time as I had RT but I don’t blame the RT. Might be worth trying Voltarol Max strength. You can buy it over the counter at pharmacies but it’s £20 a tube so if it continues to help I’m going to try and get it on prescription. Strangely enough my hands got better when I started to massage it into my knees….with my hands of course!

I get my next HT jab today😟, the only thing that keeps me going is that I’m on the homeward stretch now after 18 months and my PSA continues to fall…now 0.1, was 0.9 at the start of RT. I’m going to ask her if it’s ok to continue using Voltarol.

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 08:56
Thanks Decho. That's very interesting.

Good luck with the jabs.

All the best

John

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 09:55

I’ve had stiff and slightly swollen hands

It's a cruel old disease, leaves everything stiff and swollen apart from what should be.

Joking apart, I think most of us are of a 'certain age' where we're suffering from aches and pains and various other ailments linked with getting old. The problem is when you've been diagnosed with cancer, it or the side effects of treatment you're receiving for it, are the first things you blame.

Edited by member 04 Jan 2024 at 09:56  | Reason: Spelling.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 10:23
John, don't assume that every ache, pain or symptom is down to the prostate cancer or treatment ... go and see your GP. My husband started with pains and swelling like this and put up with it for years before being referred to the hospital and being diagnosed with a form of rheumatoid arthritis. I suspect that this was triggered by the HT but there is no proof of that. He now has medication that has given him back full mobility but in hindsight, he left it far too long thinking it was something he just needed to put up with.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 13:34
Hi Lyn. Many thanks for your advice and wise words. Point taken!

John

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 16:23

CNS gave me the all clear for using NSAID gels in my knees. I asked my pharmacist if they could prescribe some Voltarol(they can do this in Scotland and of course it’s free😊). They couldn’t prescribe voltarol but could prescribe Phorpain max which has 10% ibuprofen. Voltarol uses diclofenac but they have the same effect.

My feeling is that there’s too many men which develop joint ache when they are on HT to say it’s just an age thing. Yes maybe it could be the start of something more sinister but I never got joint ache in my knees, shoulders, ankles, hands and elbows before I started HT. it really scares me that this might be the start of arthritis, or that I won’t get most my mobility back when treatment finishes, which is why I’m doing everything I can ATM to improve my QOL.

Im off on holiday tomorrow for 3 weeks to Fuerteventura to escape this dreadful Scottish winter. I’ll be swimming in the pool every day(bought myself a cheap wet suit as the pools a bit chilly this time of year), walking and eBiking. It’s a great time of year to do this out there as the weather is lovely, but it’s not too hot😎and it’ll be interesting to see how this affects my joints🤔

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 21:58

Prostap doesnt just block testosterone it blocks estrogen too and men need a bit of estrogen along with testosterone

A symptom of low estrogen can be arthritis so having plant estrogens - phytoestrogens - may help you  , flaxseed oil is an excellent phytoestrogen you can buy it in Sainsburys near the olive oil there are many more phytoestrogens do some research 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 22:10

Thanks for that Lizzo37, I will look into that.

Derek

User
Posted 05 Jan 2024 at 02:15
Prostap doesn't reduce the amount of estrogen in men - if that was true, men on HT wouldn't get moobs or experience the other symptoms like widened pelvis, reduction of male pattern body hair, etc.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jan 2024 at 08:35

Thanks Derek

Hope you have a great holday. Take care.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2024 at 08:37

Many thanks for your advice Lizzo.

Will see what I can find.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2024 at 08:53

LynEyre  -

so why do they use prostap to block estrogen in women with estrogen sensitive breast cancer ?

https://breastcancernow.org/about-breast-cancer/treatment/hormone-endocrine-therapy/leuprorelin-prostap/#:~:text=1.-,What%20is%20leuprorelin%20(Prostap)%3F,or%20with%20other%20hormone%20treatments.

Edited by member 05 Jan 2024 at 08:59  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 06 Jan 2024 at 08:51
I contacted my GP yesterday. She has prescribed Naproxen and Lansoprozole. I do miss seeing my doctor face to face. I have to fill in an online pro-forma and the presciption arrives at the local pharmacy. It's all so impersonal.
User
Posted 07 Jan 2024 at 20:13

Because breast cancer and prostate cancer are different cancers. Prostap switches off oestrogen production in women and testosterone production in men. 

User
Posted 07 Jan 2024 at 23:02

Yes but men make estrogen from their testosterone by the aromatose enzyme

So by blocking testosterone in men you are blocking their estrogen too 

Edited by member 07 Jan 2024 at 23:05  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 07:32

Because breast cancer and prostate cancer are different cancers. Prostap switches off oestrogen production in women and testosterone production in men. 

Yes, I agree that breast cancer and prostate cancer aren't the same,

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 17:49

Many thanks for all this info I was about to post a question as I am experiencing exactly the same issue so off to the doctors I go 

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 19:14

Many thanks for all this info I was about to post a question as I am experiencing exactly the same issue so off to the doctors I go 

I wish you luck Mustard, nobody seems to have any clue on how to deal with the aches brought on by HT.
Let us know how you get on,

Derek

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 07:59

Good luck at the doctor's Mustard. Please report back if you learn anything. Still having big touble with my hands and joints.