I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exercise before blood test

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 13:53

I had my post op 3 monthly PSA blood test this morning. (RALP was November 2021). The phlebotomist asked if I had exercised or had sex beforehand and warned that if I had, the PSA level might be raised. I told him that I didn't have a prostate and asked how so. He just smiled and didn't really have an answer.

Looking on the NHS website and at an article in The Lancet, it seems that any activity that stimulates the prostate, e.g. sex,  DRE and particularly cycling will temporarily cause it to release a measure of PSA that would affect the reading. But I see nothing that would indicate PSA level being raised in the instance that the prostate has been removed and hence no gland to stimulate and I so I remain of the opinion that exercise makes no difference for those of us who have the widget missing.

Am I right?.Or do I need further education?

A happy new year to all.

Peter

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 14:34
You are correct.
User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 15:00

Francij is correct that you are correct. These technicians work of a script, what he said is correct for about 99% of the population, and he can't really be expected to know the finer details of each case. The lesson from this is that any result below 3.0 is going to be considered "normal" which for you it clearly would not be. Always get the exact numbers, and hope for a less than sign (which the GP receptionist won't recognise).

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 21:19

Peter, I think you have some of your decimal points in the wrong place. Possible next step is an appointment with an oncologist.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 14:34
You are correct.
User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 15:00

Francij is correct that you are correct. These technicians work of a script, what he said is correct for about 99% of the population, and he can't really be expected to know the finer details of each case. The lesson from this is that any result below 3.0 is going to be considered "normal" which for you it clearly would not be. Always get the exact numbers, and hope for a less than sign (which the GP receptionist won't recognise).

Dave

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 15:05

Yes, I always get the lab report emailed to me. Anything under 4.0 is marked as 'normal'. Dangerous. 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 19:25

..... and having that confirmation that exercise makes no difference (thanks again) , I am not too thrilled to state that the result of my test on Tuesday came in at a banging 0.1. That's an upward trend of 0.06, 0.08 and 0.1 since last April. Think I'll ask for a retest before my consultation with the surgeon (now a Prof) on 22nd of this month. Found out just before Christmas that  I have an enlarged ventricle in my brain so could be an 'interesting' time ahead! 

Edited by member 04 Jan 2024 at 21:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 21:19

Peter, I think you have some of your decimal points in the wrong place. Possible next step is an appointment with an oncologist.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 21:29

Absolutely Chris. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll amend. And I think you are right about the next step. 

Peter