I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Research study into the psychological impacts of being diagnosed and receiving treatment

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 14:56

Clinical Psychologists at the University of Oxford are conducting a research study into the psychological impacts of being diagnosed with and receiving curative treatment for prostate cancer.  This study looks at the impacts of health anxiety and fears of cancer recurrence on quality of life for men who are living after a successful curative form of treatment. 

The researchers are asking for all eligible men to take a short amount of time to complete the questionnaires on their online survey below. None of your personal information is required, but if you can answer the included questions honestly it will contribute to our knowledge of how being diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer impacts on mental health and how clinical psychologists might target talking therapies like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to help alleviate the specific distress associated with living after treatment for prostate cancer.

Please click on the survey link below which will take you to the study which you can take at a time convenient to you. More information about the study is provided and how your data will be used.

https://psychiatryoxford.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3kQ6eF2Ay0Dfpz0

The survey will be open until the end of February 2024 so please do take part if you are interested and eligible. The researchers involved have told us they will post the results of the study back to us for us to post here on the community later in 2024. If you have any questions, please contact the researchers using the e-mail addresses provided within the link.

The research is also seeking to recruit men aged 50 - 85 who have never been diagnosed with any cancer as a comparison group. If you know anyone eligible for this group, please feel free to share the survey link.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 17:40

I've filled this in, but it didn't strike me as being a terribly well structured survey. It didn't help that one of the very early questions asks if you are male or female- in a survey about prostate cancer??

Elsewhere, the questions seem heavily loaded towards gauging negative reactions, and there isn't much which allows one to differentiate between PCa and non PCa-related causes of happiness/ anxiety/ distress etc.   

Hmmm

User
Posted 04 Jan 2024 at 19:36

Trans-women get prostate cancer too, but I'm guessing they just used a set of generic questions rather than considering that possibility, since they would have asked that question differently, and the introductory narrative only wants men for the control group.

Edited by member 04 Jan 2024 at 19:40  | Reason: Not specified