Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

The surgery is over…but..

User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 22:26

Just an update for those following:  Steve had his RARP yesterday afternoon, the op took 5 hours and there were a couple of complications:

1.  Accidental bowel perforation during op, which the surgeon repaired but Steve not allowed to eat today until they are sure the bowel is recovering (not that he feels like it anyway,)

2.  There was a struggle reconnecting the urethra back to the bladder, apparently the tissue was ‘very weak’ and once the bladder was filled with water it was bypassing the stitching.  They have done what they can and a drain from wound is draining out the urine which at the moment all seems to be collecting in wound drain bag and not entering the catheter bag at all! They are keeping an eye on it in the hope that in a day or so the join will heal over and the urine flows into the catheter instead…. Or it’s back to surgery!!!

3.  The junior doctor who spoke to us today (who wasn’t present during the op) couldn’t clarify whether the op was nerve sparing or not …in his words, ‘I don’t think so as it was rather sticky around the prostate’…. Which tells us nothing! 

the surgeon will see us tomorrow so we will get some clarity…in the meantime it looks like Steve isn’t going anywhere for a few days, he is sore but keeping on the pain relief, looking a bit sorry for himself, but glad that part is (hopefully) over as a hospital virgin, he was dreading the op!

We know each day he will improve and I will keep you updated on his journey

Debbie

User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 22:26
Todays update: good news on the CTscan/bowel front…no need for further surgery, repair seems to be holding and Steve started to feel a little better. He can now start a light diet, although he doesn’t feel like it, he knows he needs to in order to get his bowel to some normal working order before he can go home.

IV fluids to come off tonight and Wound drain to come out tomorrow, catheter draining well although some by passing which we are told is normal. Started to mobilize him today to try to get things moving.

Mentally, Steve is at his lowest ebb today, thoroughly hacked off and wants to go home! Surgeon seeing him tomorrow so might entice him with a potential date, hopefully by Friday. I know he will feel better once home…. I think we are nearly there!

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 20:35
Thanks everyone…todays update:

Steve looked a lot brighter today when I got there this morning, surgeon came for his chat and gave us lots of info.

The surgery was going well, he was surprised how big the prostate was though and he saw no reason not to spare the nerves. Right side spared but unfortunately left side he had no option but to remove about 30% as the nerve bundle was stuck to the bowel wall, that’s why the bowel was punctured in his efforts to remove prostate. He said the op then took longer as he repaired the bowel.

Although the urethra join was a tricky one, He wasn’t too worried about that and indeed the drain from the abdomen seemed to be reducing and the catheter bag starting to fill early hours this morning.

He was more concerned about ensuring no complications from the bowel injury and said Steve won’t be going home just yet until he is absolutely satisfied it’s going to be ok.

He is on very light diet, not that he feels like eating anything anyway…surgeon will see him Sunday and he will want a bowel scan and will take it from there, possibly home next Tuesday.

Steve seemed to go a little downhill this afternoon, his catheter stopped draining as much and the nursing staff keeping a close eye on his abdomen which seemed more extended, he did seem to have a high temp too. Anyway when I left they were monitoring him so fingers crossed that it’s just because he is shattered and I see him a bit brighter tomorrow!

The weirdest wedding anniversary yet!!! We will make up for it next year!

Debbie

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 06:46
My poor Husband….its not over yet! Our son and I were literally en route to the hospital to take him home yesterday morning only to find him back in his bed poorly!

He started with acute chest pains an hour before we arrived and they initially suspected heart…all the tests were done and ruled out heart which is good. Difficulty in breathing but we think due to pain (which is just below his sternum, diaphragm area) they brought up portable X-ray machine, that didn’t throw anything up. Several doctors saw him during the course of the day and ECG’s done and bloods taken, nothing come back to explain. Last doctor thinks his abdomen is more distended, he thinks his bowel gone to sleep again…I’m not sure that’s right as he was eating for two days and opening bowels pretty much normally, which is why they agreed he could go home.

I’ve never seen him in so much pain…I left him about 8.30pm, he was on two hourly morphine and an IV paracetamol drip.

They started him on an antibiotic the night before and he had a second dose in the morning because he has to have catheter in longer so they wanted to prevent UTI….i have suggested could it be an adverse reaction to those? My other thoughts are ?ulcer….although it seems a bit coincidental and more likely a post op complication…I am really hoping his consultant is on duty today, so impressed with him, I feel he will get to the bottom of it…the doctor last night said I won’t be taking him home yet.

I just hope when I go in this morning the pain has stopped! I will update when I can.

Debbie

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:29

A few days after my surgery, I had a couple of excruciatingly painful attacks in my abdomen, they felt like a strong chronic ache tightening below my chest, luckily they only lasted a few minutes at a time otherwise I would have called an ambulance. I never did find out what caused it but I recall one or two other members on here who did go to A&E with something similar. 

I hope Steve gets back to normal soon. 

Kev.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:59

Oh Debbie, my heart goes out to you and Steve. It must be so hard for you both, thinking he’s at last on the road to recovery only to have this setback. I can’t offer you any insight as to what the problem might be, I can only offer you my love and support and hope that he gets over this latest issue quickly and you get Steve home where he belongs soon.

all the best and will be thinking of you both,

Derek

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 18:51
At last!! Steve is home….13 nights in hospital, but what amazing care they have given him! Especially attentive aftercare from his surgeon. He has to keep catheter in for another week because of the difficulty joining urethra back to bladder but surgeon has said he will do the removal himself with a cystogram first.

So that’s the first hurdle over…the main difficulty he is finding at the moment is the catheter bypassing, which apparently does happen a lot and they have given him a drug to lessen bladder spasm. Also antibiotics to prevent UTI.

So softly does it for next week or so and then onto the next phase!

Debbie

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:54

Good news so far, pleased to hear the consultant is getting involved in the removal of the catheter. I always made sure I was well hydrated before having the catheter removed.  

As regards bypassing , drinking plenty of water should keep fluid going through the catheter and keep debris from building up inside the catheter. Make sure the bag is emptied before it gets more than half full. Make sure the pipes don't get kinked. I never bypass when lying down.As suggested use the lubrication gels in the eye of penis, it can help with bypassing. The bypassing is partly about the catheter balloon position in the bladder.

I tried numerous anti spasm medications ,some take time to work. I found trospium chloride to be the best.

Hope the recovery continues.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 22:26

Just an update for those following:  Steve had his RARP yesterday afternoon, the op took 5 hours and there were a couple of complications:

1.  Accidental bowel perforation during op, which the surgeon repaired but Steve not allowed to eat today until they are sure the bowel is recovering (not that he feels like it anyway,)

2.  There was a struggle reconnecting the urethra back to the bladder, apparently the tissue was ‘very weak’ and once the bladder was filled with water it was bypassing the stitching.  They have done what they can and a drain from wound is draining out the urine which at the moment all seems to be collecting in wound drain bag and not entering the catheter bag at all! They are keeping an eye on it in the hope that in a day or so the join will heal over and the urine flows into the catheter instead…. Or it’s back to surgery!!!

3.  The junior doctor who spoke to us today (who wasn’t present during the op) couldn’t clarify whether the op was nerve sparing or not …in his words, ‘I don’t think so as it was rather sticky around the prostate’…. Which tells us nothing! 

the surgeon will see us tomorrow so we will get some clarity…in the meantime it looks like Steve isn’t going anywhere for a few days, he is sore but keeping on the pain relief, looking a bit sorry for himself, but glad that part is (hopefully) over as a hospital virgin, he was dreading the op!

We know each day he will improve and I will keep you updated on his journey

Debbie

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 15:24
Not wanting to put anyone off RARP surgery….so look away now! To be fair it’s not the prostate removal that caused the problems post surgery…it’s the fact that the bowel got perforated. Although repaired and Steve seemed to be on the mend yesterday, he has gone downhill today. His stomach is badly distended and he can only tolerate sips of liquid. Surgeon came to see him today and has asked for a CT scan asap just to make sure there’s nothing leaking from the bowel repair…. So he’s back on his IV fluids with nil by mouth in case he needs to go back into surgery. He looks and feels awful and there’s nothing I can do for him!

I know he’s in the best place and we have said this will all be worth it if there is no more cancer! He’s being a brave boy!

Debbie

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 09:00
Excellent news and boy, has he been through the mill.

The next few days will be tough as he starts to move around and also getting the bowel moving - but he is on the final stretch. In a couple of weeks it will all be a distant memory and he can start to get on with the rest of his life - without that cancerous lump inside of him. Mentally that's a nice position to be in.

It's been tough on you too so hopefully you can now start to relax - well until he gets home and starts demanding cups of tea LOL

Take care, both of you.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:03

Really sorry to read this Debbie. I was only wondering yesterday how he was getting on.  Let’s hope they get this setback sorted pretty quickly. He’s in the right place to get any issues sorted though, as they’re pretty good there 👍

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:25

Hello Debbie,

My heart goes out to you and Steve. I know how relieved you both were when he finally got a date for the op and I've been thinking about you everyday since the 10th.

It just seems to be one thing after another causing problems for you.

I can fully empathise with how you are both feeling. I actually had a heart condition, two blocked arteries, which cast doubt on my suitability to have RARP. Eventually they decided I was fit enough for the op, which went relatively well. I was only in for a night and allowed to go home next day.

Sods Law, two months later, I had a minor heart attack and ended up in hospital for two weeks. There I was with all the side effects of prostate surgery whilst having to deal with the heart treatment. That was the lowest point of my journey. I did begin to think what on earth have I done to deserve this?

I  know mine and Steve's circumstances are totally different but I just wanted you to know why I can relate to what you're both going through. Steve will get better and will soon be home again, but I can share the anguish you're currently going through.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to see your consultant today but feel obliged to warn you, that when I was in,  the hospital almost seemed to close down at weekends. You had more chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar than seeing a consultant. Let's hope that's not the case with yours.

Please give your man a hug from me.

Adrian

Edited by member 22 Jan 2024 at 05:43  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 10:03
Thank you so much for your insights and kind words…and sharing your experiences! This is really the best place to be for people who understand and that really is a comfort!

I’m just about to go in to see him…. He is going for stomach scan now….hopefully the next update will be better…I might not tempt fate and possibly won’t post until I get him home!

Our mantra….‘it’s all worth it if the cancer is cured!’

Debbie

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 14:23

I developed peritonitis after my RP. I was at home when it came on, absolute agony like I have never experienced.

Morphine etc took the pain away and the Drs were mystified and couldn't work out what was going on for 24 hrs. While this was going on I was out of it because of pain relief and the start of sepsis, the only thing that saved me was telling the A&E consultant it only hurt (with all the pain relief) when the trolley went over the small joints in the vinyl floor. The consultant had been called out at my insistence because I told the junior doctors I was going to die otherwise.

He took me straight to theatre for a abdominal washout and saved my life. Make sure the Drs know everything! 

Edited by member 21 Jan 2024 at 14:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 22:55

Hi Debbie, 

I've been thinking of you two.

I wish things had gone more smoothly. 

Adrian

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 07:47

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear that Steve has encountered these issues. I hope that they get him sorted out quickly so that he can return home and start recovering in more comfort.

Ian.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 08:00

Hi Debbie,

Really sorry to hear about Steve’s issues during the Op, it just shows how major an Op this is even though you only have a few small scars. I hope he manages to get the issues sorted and will soon be on the path to a full recovery.

All the best to you and Steve,

Derek

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 10:16

Debbie, sorry to hear about the complications. You probably don't want to hear this but perhaps better to be aware of possible issues.

I was told urine leaking into the pelvic/abdominal cavity would make you feel quite ill, so once home keep an eye on him. I developed a stricture not long after surgery, although my surgeon said it was caused by a trauma on removal of the catheter,other causes can be over tight sutures or urine passing through the joint. He may need to have the catheter for an extended period.

Hope things improve quickly.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 11:21

An unfortunate experience Debbie and not impressed that the surgeon didn't speak to you after the op.  Be sure to question him/her until you are fully satisfied about how/what/why etc. Let's hope it was just a hiccup along the road to a full and speedy recovery for Steve.

Peter

Edited by member 12 Jan 2024 at 11:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 12:00

Debbie

'There was a struggle reconnecting the urethra back to the bladder, apparently the tissue was ‘very weak’ and once the bladder was filled with water it was bypassing the stitching.'

I had a similar problem because of a previous bladder neck procedure and my consultant had quite a job which made the surgery last nearly 6 hours! The catheter had to remain in place for six weeks with a regular scan every week to check the progress. I did make a complete recovery and that was 12 years ago with no after effect. Your husband will have to be very patient while the healing takes place; our bodies are amazing at healing naturally.

You need to talk to the surgeon; the junior doctor can't know much!

Hope all goes well.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 14:40
Sorry to hear about the complications during surgery.

Keep us updated on Steve’s recovery Debbie.

Best wishes. Jeff,

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 20:38
Give him our best and in the best place recuperating although no place like home,but the rest will help xxx
User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 20:54

DCJ44,

So sorry that there have been complications for Steve.

Look after yourselves.

JedSee.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 21:18

Debbie.

Thanks for finding the time to update us.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:26

Fingers crossed for Tuesday Debbie. I’m glad he’s feeling a bit better today.

Ian.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 15:32
Fingers and toes crossed for a quick recovery.

The situation that he experienced is fortunately extremely rare - I think you said that the nerves around the prostate were stuck to the bowel which caused the tear. I imagine that there may be a leak which is causing him so much discomfort but I am sure they are on top of it.

Our thoughts are with you both - it's hard to be on the outside looking in and not being able to do anything to help.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 16:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Although repaired and Steve seemed to be on the mend yesterday, he has gone downhill today.

I'm so sad to hear that you are temporarily not making progress. I'm sure things will turn around. My thoughts are with you both.

Adrian

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 17:37

Oh Dear Debbie, so sorry to hear he’s not so good, hopefully they’ll get to the bottom(sorry😟) of this and get it sorted ASAP. There’s lots of people on here rooting for both of you, so although it can’t be easy try and stay strong and think positive.💪

Derek

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 17:58

Debbie, sorry to hear about the ongoing issues,have they stopped the leak through the new joint. I am sure we had one member who had issues because of the leaking joint.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 20:46

Sorry to hear Steve’s having problems Debbie. I’m thinking of you both, and hope they get him sorted very quickly. 
Ian.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 23:06
Hope things get better soon. I spent 3 weeks in hospital after my op with "complications" it's not much fun.
User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 22:46

Cheers Debbie, thank you for the update.

I'm so pleased progress is being made.

Adrian.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 08:13

Hopefully making some progress will lift his low mood soon. There's nothing quite like being at home, even though that's days away right now.

Fingers crossed for you both. 

Kev.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 10:11

That’s good Debbie, I think post surgery the first 4 or 5 days for me was very uncomfortable around the stomach & bowel area. That’s without the problems Steve has had with the bowel problem.

The gas they pump in to give better access to the surgery area takes a while to clear & then having to wait for a bowel movement puts more pressure on the already tender surgery wound area.

As said above, I’m sure Steve will start to feel better as the days pass.

Best wishes Jeff.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 14:34

The gas they pump in to give better access to the surgery area takes a while to clear & then having to wait for a bowel movement puts more pressure on the already tender surgery wound area.

After my op, I was so inflated, I felt like a Space Hopper.

Despite taking handfuls of laxatives, I went ten days without a poo! But when she blew, she blew!

Edited by member 16 Jan 2024 at 15:36  | Reason: Typos again!

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 16:35

Todays update: good news on the CTscan/bowel front…no need for further surgery, repair seems to be holding and Steve started to feel a little better. He can now start a light diet, although he doesn’t feel like it, he knows he needs to in order to get his bowel to some normal working order before he can go home.

IV fluids to come off tonight and Wound drain to come out tomorrow, catheter draining well although some by passing which we are told is normal. Started to mobilize him today to try to get things moving.

Mentally, Steve is at his lowest ebb today, thoroughly hacked off and wants to go home! Surgeon seeing him tomorrow so might entice him with a potential date, hopefully by Friday. I know he will feel better once home…. I think we are nearly there!

Excellent news Debbie. I can imagine his anxiety, my stay as well was extended due to my stupidity. I am on medication for BP, naturally I went into the hospital with my meds, no one asked to see them, so a day after my surgery, too my meds in the morning as normal. The next thing, I collapsed (whilst the Nurse was taking my stats), I woke up with so many doctors looking down on me, my BP had crashed! I was then told I should not have taken my BP meds! I was kept for 2extra nights for observation.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 11:02
Talk about going through the mill, fingers crossed you get some positive news soon... Just being in hospital is bad enough. My thoughts are with you.
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:04
Great news...
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:07
Great news Steve & Debbie.

Definitely softly softly for the next couple of weeks, just do enough that feels comfortable.

Lube on catheter tube as it comes out of penis, I found those elasticated thigh bandages very helpful to support the catheter bag at the top of my leg when walking around. Just tuck it inside the thigh bandage.

All the very best

Jeff.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:14
That is very good news indeed. Fingers crossed all goes more smoothly from now on.
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:30

Great news!

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:35

Fantastic news, I'm so happy for both of you.😊

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 20:04

So pleased for you Debbie and Steve, it must be so nice to be home after Steve’s ordeal. Hopefully he has now turned the corner and he recovers well.

Take care both of you.

Derek

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:05

Brilliant news Debbie. I'm so pleased for you both. I'm very close to a year on and posted this yesterday.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30214-Almost-a-year-on-after-RARP

I hope Steve continues to make a smooth and speedy recovery.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:29

So pleased for you both Debbie, you’ve been through the mill a bit but I’m delighted that the histology report is good and wish Steve a speedy recovery(take it easy though!).

All the best to you both,

Derek

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:44

Hi Debbie

I had to have my catheter in for over fives week waiting for the leaky joint! At the time I had a scan week after week to check if the leak had healed, in many ways it was probably the most stressful time following surgery; our bodies are amazing at self-healing. He will be fine.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 13:11

Debbie, good news on the histology. At least the catheter should mean no night time loo visits.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 14:09

Brilliant news Debbie, really pleased for you both. Rob had his catheter in for 4 weeks also but didn’t find it too bad x

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 08:15

Brilliant, fantastic, Congratulations Debbie!, A cause for celebration.

The catheter issue will soon be a history.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 10:32
Hi Debbie everyone is different, I was lucky & only wore the pads for a week which was just for security the main problems was when I got up from sitting to standing without concentrating on holding my bladder muscles, but has I mentioned only for about a week.

There is some good pads you can purchase & the full briefs if continence is poor, I’m sure as the weeks go by & the concentration & muscles improve so will Steve’s continence.

Walking & light exercises are all a benefit but don’t overdo it I waited the full 6 weeks befor getting back to jogging.

All the best Jeff.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 13:03
Give it some time to let things settle down and when peeing, try and stop the flow to help identify the muscles that can control it.

I was reasonably successful but then got prescribed a course of 'perineal physiotherapy' also known as pelvic floor therapy and which is frequently used by women after child birth.

I had my 4th session yesterday and it is making a big difference - so much so that I no longer wear a pad around the house - just when I go out, for safety.

I posted a bit about it under the living with cancer topic.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 13:46

Debbie, I was also lucky to be 99 percent dry 4 days after catheter removal. Those first few days were pretty uncontrollable. Remember there is probably still some healing happening,I had lots of scabs and debris coming out for a few weeks after surgery.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 16:41

Hi Debbie.

I was like an out of control fountain during the day for well over a month,  but weirdly was dry through the night almost immediately. I was padless after about 7/8 months. I think my bladder is still weaker than it was pre op. However my wife maintains that I was a dribbler months prior to the op. 

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 18:26
Thanks for responding everyone….its reassuring to know that it can change round quite quickly. Today is only second full day without catheter and this afternoon Steve got his first semi controlled release….he managed to hobble to the bathroom and hold some urine until he got there!
User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 16:40

That’s wonderful news Debbie I’m so pleased for you both! It’s always nice to hear the good news stories. Hopefully you can get the incontinence issues sorted and Steve can get on with his recovery.

wishing you both All the Best…and keep us posted😊

Derek

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 16:42

Hi Debbie,

Great news about the PSA result. I hope that the incontinence issue will quickly improve.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 20:08

Excellent News Debbie. I am almost 2yrs post surgery, grateful to God that the PSA is still undetectable based from my last test a week ago. ED is still so so, however become an expert at using the pump and despite the frustrations in the early days, I have no issues using the pump now. Incontinence is still there, but night time only. So he will get better.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 22:55

Hi Debbie, 

I've been thinking of you two.

I wish things had gone more smoothly. 

Adrian

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 07:47

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear that Steve has encountered these issues. I hope that they get him sorted out quickly so that he can return home and start recovering in more comfort.

Ian.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 08:00

Hi Debbie,

Really sorry to hear about Steve’s issues during the Op, it just shows how major an Op this is even though you only have a few small scars. I hope he manages to get the issues sorted and will soon be on the path to a full recovery.

All the best to you and Steve,

Derek

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 10:16

Debbie, sorry to hear about the complications. You probably don't want to hear this but perhaps better to be aware of possible issues.

I was told urine leaking into the pelvic/abdominal cavity would make you feel quite ill, so once home keep an eye on him. I developed a stricture not long after surgery, although my surgeon said it was caused by a trauma on removal of the catheter,other causes can be over tight sutures or urine passing through the joint. He may need to have the catheter for an extended period.

Hope things improve quickly.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 11:21

An unfortunate experience Debbie and not impressed that the surgeon didn't speak to you after the op.  Be sure to question him/her until you are fully satisfied about how/what/why etc. Let's hope it was just a hiccup along the road to a full and speedy recovery for Steve.

Peter

Edited by member 12 Jan 2024 at 11:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 11:50

Hi.                                                                            Sending best wishes hopefully he recovers soon and not too sorexxx

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 12:00

Debbie

'There was a struggle reconnecting the urethra back to the bladder, apparently the tissue was ‘very weak’ and once the bladder was filled with water it was bypassing the stitching.'

I had a similar problem because of a previous bladder neck procedure and my consultant had quite a job which made the surgery last nearly 6 hours! The catheter had to remain in place for six weeks with a regular scan every week to check the progress. I did make a complete recovery and that was 12 years ago with no after effect. Your husband will have to be very patient while the healing takes place; our bodies are amazing at healing naturally.

You need to talk to the surgeon; the junior doctor can't know much!

Hope all goes well.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 14:40
Sorry to hear about the complications during surgery.

Keep us updated on Steve’s recovery Debbie.

Best wishes. Jeff,

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 20:35
Thanks everyone…todays update:

Steve looked a lot brighter today when I got there this morning, surgeon came for his chat and gave us lots of info.

The surgery was going well, he was surprised how big the prostate was though and he saw no reason not to spare the nerves. Right side spared but unfortunately left side he had no option but to remove about 30% as the nerve bundle was stuck to the bowel wall, that’s why the bowel was punctured in his efforts to remove prostate. He said the op then took longer as he repaired the bowel.

Although the urethra join was a tricky one, He wasn’t too worried about that and indeed the drain from the abdomen seemed to be reducing and the catheter bag starting to fill early hours this morning.

He was more concerned about ensuring no complications from the bowel injury and said Steve won’t be going home just yet until he is absolutely satisfied it’s going to be ok.

He is on very light diet, not that he feels like eating anything anyway…surgeon will see him Sunday and he will want a bowel scan and will take it from there, possibly home next Tuesday.

Steve seemed to go a little downhill this afternoon, his catheter stopped draining as much and the nursing staff keeping a close eye on his abdomen which seemed more extended, he did seem to have a high temp too. Anyway when I left they were monitoring him so fingers crossed that it’s just because he is shattered and I see him a bit brighter tomorrow!

The weirdest wedding anniversary yet!!! We will make up for it next year!

Debbie

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 20:38
Give him our best and in the best place recuperating although no place like home,but the rest will help xxx
User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 20:54

DCJ44,

So sorry that there have been complications for Steve.

Look after yourselves.

JedSee.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 21:18

Debbie.

Thanks for finding the time to update us.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 09:38

Sorry to hear about the complications during surgery. However, I wonder why the surgeon was surprised with the size of the prostate. I would have thought that it (the size) would been apparent before surgery. I say this because I was informed by the surgeon prior to my surgery about my prostate size, it was one the biggest they had seen at UCLH. He did say they might have to pass a drain through my stomach if there were complications, the first thing I did when I came round was to look if there was a drain in my stomach, and thank God there wasn't. I wish your husband a speedy recovery and he is back home in no time.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 14:16
Hi Gee-Baba, thank you, I can’t wait to get him home! Hopefully not long now. We are guessing perhaps the prostate had grown since the scan which was a while ago in July, particularly as Steve had two tumors, one in each side of prostate. Obviously everything crossed for clear margins in a few weeks when we get the results.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 18:42

Hope you get Steve home soon Debbie, don’t want to spend any more time in hospital than absolutely necessary.

Take care,

Derek

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:11
I’m hoping for Tuesday Derek, see what surgeon says tomorrow! Steve was a lot brighter today and he can start eating a bit more tomorrow….we managed to listen to the footy today together on the radio (we are season ticket holders so don’t like missing our matches!)

Debbie

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:25
Fingers crossed for you both - complications can happen and at least he is in the right place to keep an eye on things.

How is he coping with the shoulder pain?

Tell him he has plenty of people asking after him on the group :)

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:26

Fingers crossed for Tuesday Debbie. I’m glad he’s feeling a bit better today.

Ian.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:53

Thanks Steve, I agree he’s better there. His shoulder pain was only there for about 24 hours and it wasn’t too bad thanks…. Yes I told him I’d posted and all your comments today…. He said thank you all! X

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 15:24
Not wanting to put anyone off RARP surgery….so look away now! To be fair it’s not the prostate removal that caused the problems post surgery…it’s the fact that the bowel got perforated. Although repaired and Steve seemed to be on the mend yesterday, he has gone downhill today. His stomach is badly distended and he can only tolerate sips of liquid. Surgeon came to see him today and has asked for a CT scan asap just to make sure there’s nothing leaking from the bowel repair…. So he’s back on his IV fluids with nil by mouth in case he needs to go back into surgery. He looks and feels awful and there’s nothing I can do for him!

I know he’s in the best place and we have said this will all be worth it if there is no more cancer! He’s being a brave boy!

Debbie

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 15:32
Fingers and toes crossed for a quick recovery.

The situation that he experienced is fortunately extremely rare - I think you said that the nerves around the prostate were stuck to the bowel which caused the tear. I imagine that there may be a leak which is causing him so much discomfort but I am sure they are on top of it.

Our thoughts are with you both - it's hard to be on the outside looking in and not being able to do anything to help.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 16:17

Although repaired and Steve seemed to be on the mend yesterday, he has gone downhill today.

I'm so sad to hear that you are temporarily not making progress. I'm sure things will turn around. My thoughts are with you both.

Adrian

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 17:37

Oh Dear Debbie, so sorry to hear he’s not so good, hopefully they’ll get to the bottom(sorry😟) of this and get it sorted ASAP. There’s lots of people on here rooting for both of you, so although it can’t be easy try and stay strong and think positive.💪

Derek

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 17:58

Debbie, sorry to hear about the ongoing issues,have they stopped the leak through the new joint. I am sure we had one member who had issues because of the leaking joint.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 20:46

Sorry to hear Steve’s having problems Debbie. I’m thinking of you both, and hope they get him sorted very quickly. 
Ian.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 23:06
Hope things get better soon. I spent 3 weeks in hospital after my op with "complications" it's not much fun.
User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 22:26

User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 22:46

Cheers Debbie, thank you for the update.

I'm so pleased progress is being made.

Adrian.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 08:13

Hopefully making some progress will lift his low mood soon. There's nothing quite like being at home, even though that's days away right now.

Fingers crossed for you both. 

Kev.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 09:00
Excellent news and boy, has he been through the mill.

The next few days will be tough as he starts to move around and also getting the bowel moving - but he is on the final stretch. In a couple of weeks it will all be a distant memory and he can start to get on with the rest of his life - without that cancerous lump inside of him. Mentally that's a nice position to be in.

It's been tough on you too so hopefully you can now start to relax - well until he gets home and starts demanding cups of tea LOL

Take care, both of you.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 10:11

That’s good Debbie, I think post surgery the first 4 or 5 days for me was very uncomfortable around the stomach & bowel area. That’s without the problems Steve has had with the bowel problem.

As said above, I’m sure Steve will start to feel better as the days pass.

Best wishes Jeff.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 14:34

After my op, I was so inflated, I felt like a Space Hopper.

Despite taking handfuls of laxatives, I went ten days without a poo! But when she blew, she blew!

Edited by member 16 Jan 2024 at 15:36  | Reason: Typos again!

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 16:35

Excellent news Debbie. I can imagine his anxiety, my stay as well was extended due to my stupidity. I am on medication for BP, naturally I went into the hospital with my meds, no one asked to see them, so a day after my surgery, too my meds in the morning as normal. The next thing, I collapsed (whilst the Nurse was taking my stats), I woke up with so many doctors looking down on me, my BP had crashed! I was then told I should not have taken my BP meds! I was kept for 2extra nights for observation.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 06:46
My poor Husband….its not over yet! Our son and I were literally en route to the hospital to take him home yesterday morning only to find him back in his bed poorly!

He started with acute chest pains an hour before we arrived and they initially suspected heart…all the tests were done and ruled out heart which is good. Difficulty in breathing but we think due to pain (which is just below his sternum, diaphragm area) they brought up portable X-ray machine, that didn’t throw anything up. Several doctors saw him during the course of the day and ECG’s done and bloods taken, nothing come back to explain. Last doctor thinks his abdomen is more distended, he thinks his bowel gone to sleep again…I’m not sure that’s right as he was eating for two days and opening bowels pretty much normally, which is why they agreed he could go home.

I’ve never seen him in so much pain…I left him about 8.30pm, he was on two hourly morphine and an IV paracetamol drip.

They started him on an antibiotic the night before and he had a second dose in the morning because he has to have catheter in longer so they wanted to prevent UTI….i have suggested could it be an adverse reaction to those? My other thoughts are ?ulcer….although it seems a bit coincidental and more likely a post op complication…I am really hoping his consultant is on duty today, so impressed with him, I feel he will get to the bottom of it…the doctor last night said I won’t be taking him home yet.

I just hope when I go in this morning the pain has stopped! I will update when I can.

Debbie

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:03

Really sorry to read this Debbie. I was only wondering yesterday how he was getting on.  Let’s hope they get this setback sorted pretty quickly. He’s in the right place to get any issues sorted though, as they’re pretty good there 👍

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:25

Hello Debbie,

My heart goes out to you and Steve. I know how relieved you both were when he finally got a date for the op and I've been thinking about you everyday since the 10th.

It just seems to be one thing after another causing problems for you.

I can fully empathise with how you are both feeling. I actually had a heart condition, two blocked arteries, which cast doubt on my suitability to have RARP. Eventually they decided I was fit enough for the op, which went relatively well. I was only in for a night and allowed to go home next day.

Sods Law, two months later, I had a minor heart attack and ended up in hospital for two weeks. There I was with all the side effects of prostate surgery whilst having to deal with the heart treatment. That was the lowest point of my journey. I did begin to think what on earth have I done to deserve this?

I  know mine and Steve's circumstances are totally different but I just wanted you to know why I can relate to what you're both going through. Steve will get better and will soon be home again, but I can share the anguish you're currently going through.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to see your consultant today but feel obliged to warn you, that when I was in,  the hospital almost seemed to close down at weekends. You had more chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar than seeing a consultant. Let's hope that's not the case with yours.

Please give your man a hug from me.

Adrian

Edited by member 22 Jan 2024 at 05:43  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:29

A few days after my surgery, I had a couple of excruciatingly painful attacks in my abdomen, they felt like a strong chronic ache tightening below my chest, luckily they only lasted a few minutes at a time otherwise I would have called an ambulance. I never did find out what caused it but I recall one or two other members on here who did go to A&E with something similar. 

I hope Steve gets back to normal soon. 

Kev.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 08:59

Oh Debbie, my heart goes out to you and Steve. It must be so hard for you both, thinking he’s at last on the road to recovery only to have this setback. I can’t offer you any insight as to what the problem might be, I can only offer you my love and support and hope that he gets over this latest issue quickly and you get Steve home where he belongs soon.

all the best and will be thinking of you both,

Derek

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 10:03
Thank you so much for your insights and kind words…and sharing your experiences! This is really the best place to be for people who understand and that really is a comfort!

I’m just about to go in to see him…. He is going for stomach scan now….hopefully the next update will be better…I might not tempt fate and possibly won’t post until I get him home!

Our mantra….‘it’s all worth it if the cancer is cured!’

Debbie

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 11:02
Talk about going through the mill, fingers crossed you get some positive news soon... Just being in hospital is bad enough. My thoughts are with you.
User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 14:23

I developed peritonitis after my RP. I was at home when it came on, absolute agony like I have never experienced.

Morphine etc took the pain away and the Drs were mystified and couldn't work out what was going on for 24 hrs. While this was going on I was out of it because of pain relief and the start of sepsis, the only thing that saved me was telling the A&E consultant it only hurt (with all the pain relief) when the trolley went over the small joints in the vinyl floor. The consultant had been called out at my insistence because I told the junior doctors I was going to die otherwise.

He took me straight to theatre for a abdominal washout and saved my life. Make sure the Drs know everything! 

Edited by member 21 Jan 2024 at 14:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 18:51
At last!! Steve is home….13 nights in hospital, but what amazing care they have given him! Especially attentive aftercare from his surgeon. He has to keep catheter in for another week because of the difficulty joining urethra back to bladder but surgeon has said he will do the removal himself with a cystogram first.

So that’s the first hurdle over…the main difficulty he is finding at the moment is the catheter bypassing, which apparently does happen a lot and they have given him a drug to lessen bladder spasm. Also antibiotics to prevent UTI.

So softly does it for next week or so and then onto the next phase!

Debbie

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:04
Great news...
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:07
Great news Steve & Debbie.

Definitely softly softly for the next couple of weeks, just do enough that feels comfortable.

Lube on catheter tube as it comes out of penis, I found those elasticated thigh bandages very helpful to support the catheter bag at the top of my leg when walking around. Just tuck it inside the thigh bandage.

All the very best

Jeff.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:14
That is very good news indeed. Fingers crossed all goes more smoothly from now on.
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:30

Great news!

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:35

Fantastic news, I'm so happy for both of you.😊

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 19:54

Good news so far, pleased to hear the consultant is getting involved in the removal of the catheter. I always made sure I was well hydrated before having the catheter removed.  

As regards bypassing , drinking plenty of water should keep fluid going through the catheter and keep debris from building up inside the catheter. Make sure the bag is emptied before it gets more than half full. Make sure the pipes don't get kinked. I never bypass when lying down.As suggested use the lubrication gels in the eye of penis, it can help with bypassing. The bypassing is partly about the catheter balloon position in the bladder.

I tried numerous anti spasm medications ,some take time to work. I found trospium chloride to be the best.

Hope the recovery continues.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 20:04

So pleased for you Debbie and Steve, it must be so nice to be home after Steve’s ordeal. Hopefully he has now turned the corner and he recovers well.

Take care both of you.

Derek