I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A new journey!

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 15:11

Hi. I’ve been on enzalutamide for some months but its effectiveness is now waning. The cancer originally spread to the left hip but has now gone into both my kidneys and liver. I’ve had stents fitted to both ureters to help kidney function, but the next stage is docetaxel. I’m very worried but am told this is the best possible option at this time. I enquired about immunotherapy but was told this would have little benefit

Has anyone out there had similar experiences?  I’d love to hear from you. Anything to put my mind at rest would be very welcome

Thanks

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 15:58

Hi John,

I'm so sorry to hear that the disease has spread. I'm afraid I can't help with the specific points you've raised but felt compelled to offer you support and my best wishes during this stage of your journey.

Adrian

Edited by member 12 Jan 2024 at 15:59  | Reason: Typos again!

User
Posted 12 Jan 2024 at 18:01

Hi John,

sorry to hear this.  I can't help with your query re stents etc, however I did have 6 sessions of docetaxel back in 2019 when I was first diagnosed.  It will make you feel unwell - similar to recovering from a bout of 'flu - for a few days after each session (it's usually administered at 3-week intervals), and there are some practical things you can do to help minimise the side-effects and make the whole process more manageable.

Before each session you'll be likely asked to inject yourself subcutaneously with a special protein called GCSF (granulocyte-colony stimulating factor). This stimulates your bone marrow to make more white blood cells, to counteract the fact that the docetaxel will kill the white blood cells.  This often makes bones ache, which can be quite painful.  To avoid this pain, take the over-the-counter antihistamine loratadine (available from chemists) for the duration of the course of injections, which is usually 5 days.  It must be loratadine (other antihistamines will not relieve the pain) and it's very effective.

You'll also be given a steroid to take before the infusion.  This will make you feel quite lively and gung-ho for a couple of days, then when you stop taking the steroid, you'll have a bit of a crash and feel quite listless and lethargic.  This is totally normal, it just helps to be aware of what will happen.

When you're having the actual docetaxel infusion, have some ice cubes or cubes of frozen pineapple etc handy, and try to suck them throughout.  This helps to counter the loss of taste / metallic taste issues that docetaxel commonly causes. 

An oncology nurse at The Christie also strongly recommended taking a B-vitamin supplement to help prevent peripheral neuropathy (loss of feeling & sensation in hands and feet).  I followed her advice and experienced no problems with loss of feeling:  it's a cheap and easy thing to do, and certainly does no harm.

I hope these tips are useful to you;  they certainly worked for me.  Best of luck with it.

Craig

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 09:29

Hi 

I've had a lot of kidney problems over the last 18months with stents and nephrostomy bags for stones and near kidney failure on diagnosis, kidneys are important as you know when taking medication and chemo so it was important to get my kidneys back up to full capacity which they are now,I've just started chemo this week after nearly 2 years on enzalutamide,so your not alone on here.

Stay strong regards Phil (please read my profile for a more detailed reading of my journey)

Edited by member 13 Jan 2024 at 18:40  | Reason: Not specified