Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

How big is / was yours?

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 14:04

A member of the forum early today stated that his clinicians said his was one of the biggest they'd ever seen.

Of course, I mean your prostrates, what else?

Apparently a healthy one is the size of a walnut.

Size guide:

Walnut. 20cc

Ping-pong ball. 32cc

Golf ball. 40cc

Clementine. 65cc

Tennis ball. 150cc

As most of us are getting on a bit, and prostates grow with age, I doubt that they'll be many walnuts.

I'll start the ball rolling:

My first MRI, Nov 2020,  indicated 71cc.  Post prostatectomy showed 50cc.

How big is/was yours?

Edited by member 13 Jan 2024 at 19:13  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:44

Breaking news

Charles has got a big 'un!

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68010563.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17055712042128&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

The King is going in for an op on his enlarged prostate. Benigh condition.

Do you think he'll join the forum?

Will we get the Royal seal of approval?

Good luck, your Majesty.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 09:52  | Reason: Addition

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:10

Mike

Ive got one at 11mm, and one the other side at 10mm. Yours does sound like a whopper.

Ian.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:21
When I had my scan they said I had a slightly enlarged prostate at 35cc - when I asked if this was large, the technician smiled and said no, I have seen them over 150cc.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Ive got one at 11mm, and one the other side at 10mm. 

Ian.

Hi Ian

They're very similar to what mine were.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 08:35

My prostate was 30cc which I was told was small the lesion was 1.8cm which I thought was huge, he said no, but he was the sort of guy who said black if I said white. I thought relative to the size of my prostate that it was disconcertingly large. 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 10:11

Mine sadly was humongous close to 10x the normal size. 

Hello mate

It was your post earlier today that inspired this conversation. Yours must have been more like a coconut than a walnut.

Hi Sir,

As a result of your post, I decided to read through my medical notes. It says Prostate size 120ml. The funny thing is the only symptoms were waking up numerous times to wee and sometimes was unable to pass urine (all in the middle of the night, no issues during the day). Strangely, this only occurred at night! I was a typical bloke, who never did any health check and thought I was pretty invincible. I only did the PSA test because my GP (close family friend) died from PC and saw a youtube advert on PSA... My PSA was 21, even at that I did not freak out, as I felt fine. Even when I got the dreaded call that I had cancer with the score of 3+4, the nurse also mentioned if it had been lower 3+3, I would have qualified for AS, I recall begging her to put me on AS! She politely declined.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 11:41

Mine was reported as 93-97cc on different scans, on the larger side, but nowhere near a record. It wasn't giving me any BPH side effects, even though it was pressing quite a large dent into the bottom of the bladder which could be seen on my flexible cystoscopy.

We recently had someone with a 600cc prostate in a local support group, which had only just started causing symptoms. That's the largest I've heard of. (They had BPH, but not prostate cancer.) While enlarged prostates do cause increasing symptoms as they get larger, there's an enormous variation in the point at which symptoms start, and sometimes they never occur.

I follow one of the well-known surgeons on Twitter, and he used to post pictures of interesting prostates he's just removed and one notable one was 200cc, which is regarded as a whopper.

Enlarged prostates are very slightly less likely to get prostate cancer.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 18:32

In my opinion, our specific disease is different to most, because there are so many different treatment options. How many times on this forum do you see people asking if surgery, RT or AS is the best option.

This uncertainty is often caused by consultants who seem reluctant to tell you what is the best treatment for you.  You're left to make the decision. Mine actually gave me  an NHS handout book to read to help me decide my preferred treatment choice.

I'd never experienced this, "You decide what you want to do" attitude before.

When faced with this dilemma, surely to make the best informed decision, you need all the facts.

Otherwise you're left with eeny meeny miny moe.

Edited by member 15 Jan 2024 at 19:41  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 08:57
A year ago last Dec I travelled 5 hours south to Edmonton, Alberta for a hi-rez MRI my urologist had been bugging me to get even tho lower resolution MRIs at a closer hospital, 2 hours away, didn't show anything of note other than an enlarged prostate.

At that time the size was estimated to be 64cc with a PSA test at 16.9. Just a week ago I was sent for an ultrasound by our nurse practitioner for a checkup as my urologist seems to have dropped me for refusing a biopsy multiple times. He never even called about the MRI results when usually I would hear from him just days after an MRI. Very unprofessional of him IMO.

Anyway, the ultrasound pegs the size now at only 44.8cc and the PSA is down to 14.9. Over 19cc reduction in size and a 2 point drop in my PSA.

I've been dealing with my LUTS and other issues with a variety of vitamins, minerals and herbal remedies that seem to be working for me.

Do any other of you sufferers of BPH use alternative remedies and if so which and how do you find them for treating your symptoms?

When I started this voyage of the damned 7 years ago I was getting up 7 or 8 times a night to pee with little happening but still felt like I had to go so had horrible sleep if any and constant daytime fatigue.

Now I get 7 or 8 hours sleep a night and if I have to get up to go something actually happens and I'm back to sleep in minutes with no feeling like I have to go again. At least 4 nights a week I sleep right through the night. My wife has to get up to go at least once a night and she doesn't even own a prostate.

I'm 69 now and according to all the research and books I've read about prostate issues quite likely have a very slow growing prostate cancer but by age 70 if it hasn't turned into something worse it is very unlikely to do so. So only 9 months to go to be in the safe zone! :)
User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 10:43

Hi Bill, nice to meet you and welcome to the forum.

Adrian.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 11:59

Breaking news

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68010563.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17055712042128&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Good luck, your Majesty.

One has probably joined already.. under a pseudonym of course. Charlie or something. 

Cheers,

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 19:56

Why would anyone join a Cancer group that did'nt have cancer ?😎

In response to wondering if  the King will become a member of our gang .

But he is King and he can go where he wants. 😄

Edited by member 19 Jan 2024 at 08:54  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 20 Apr 2024 at 01:31

I would suggest less guessing and more self education on Prostate Cancer .

Read " Dr. Patrick Walsh's 5th Edition " Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer ."

Dr. Walsh is the world's foremost authority on prostate cancer. He is the Distinguished Professor of Urology at the Brady Institute of the John Hopkins medical institutions in  Baltimore , Maryland, USA .

Regarding Prostate Volume ( size ) , T signal , TI- Rads Score and Tumor Size .  These are all spelled out on your MRI Report .

I always , after an MRI Receive . A paper copy plus a CD-ROM  & Memory Stick .

Always get a 3T MRI  NOT the 1.5T machine .

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 19:06

Whoops silly me. I apologise folk. I had to get copies of all my medical records including MRI reports and a report on my removed prostate, which both gave the volume of the prostate. But I suppose most of you won't have those details. Which makes this conversation pretty pointless.

Please excuse my senior moment. 

Edited by member 13 Jan 2024 at 19:48  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:00

Hi mate!

just checked my notes, to find a reference to my 35cc gland. I’m so ashamed 😂

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:04
my tumour was said to be large at 4.3cm but have nothing to compare that with , anyone ???
User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:08
Steve’s was estimated at 70cc from his scan which was in June last year….surgeon told him yesterday that it was ‘bigger than expected’ when he took it out on Wednesday! I’m assuming he was talking about the prostate!!! I guess we will get the actual size after the post op histology in a few weeks!

What are you men like??!! Always have to compare size!
User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:10

Mike

Ive got one at 11mm, and one the other side at 10mm. Yours does sound like a whopper.

Ian.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:16

my actual Prostate was only 38ml so think  my tumour was bigger than the gland it came from , bloody thing .

Hope the radiation has greatly reduced it .

Edited by member 13 Jan 2024 at 21:17  | Reason: Not specified

User

It did say a rather large 4.3cm tumour  , its not the size but what they do to it 😎.

User
When I had my scan they said I had a slightly enlarged prostate at 35cc - when I asked if this was large, the technician smiled and said no, I have seen them over 150cc.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:31

my tumour was said to be large at 4.3cm but have nothing to compare that with , anyone ???

I think you've got that wrong Mike. I think that maybe one of the dimensional measurements of your actual prostate mate.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:35

Ive got one at 11mm, and one the other side at 10mm. 

Ian.

Hi Ian

They're very similar to what mine were.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:38

the technician smiled and said no, I have seen them over 150cc.

My lawnmower is 150cc!

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:42

What are you men like??!! Always have to compare size!

🤣👏

Yeah, but in this case smaller is better.

Edited by member 14 Jan 2024 at 08:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:47

could be wrong but from the letter to my Gp it says " There was a large 4.3cm PIRADS 5 lesion in the right transitional zone " seemed a odd measurement to me too but ???........

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 21:58

How much does size matter? Just asking. There are so many other factors.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 22:07

You make a very valid point.

I think prostates can be enlarged 4 or 5 times bigger than normal by relatively hamless prostate disorders. 

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 22:09

How much does size matter? Just asking. There are so many other factors.

get it , think may have done Theoretical Physics too 😀

Edited by member 13 Jan 2024 at 22:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jan 2024 at 23:39
John's prostate was 22cc - he was 50 years old so perhaps it hadn't started growing yet?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 00:24

Mine sadly was humongous close to 10x the normal size. This was relayed to me on the day of the surgery, I almost pulled out when the surgeon told me the potential complications. I was also informed that my prostate was so huge, a few surgeons came to see for themselves during surgery!

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 00:28

Hello mate

It was your post earlier today that inspired this conversation. Yours must have been more like a coconut than a walnut.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 07:48
27cc
User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 08:35

My prostate was 30cc which I was told was small the lesion was 1.8cm which I thought was huge, he said no, but he was the sort of guy who said black if I said white. I thought relative to the size of my prostate that it was disconcertingly large. 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 10:11

Hello mate

Hi Sir,

As a result of your post, I decided to read through my medical notes. It says Prostate size 120ml. The funny thing is the only symptoms were waking up numerous times to wee and sometimes was unable to pass urine (all in the middle of the night, no issues during the day). Strangely, this only occurred at night! I was a typical bloke, who never did any health check and thought I was pretty invincible. I only did the PSA test because my GP (close family friend) died from PC and saw a youtube advert on PSA... My PSA was 21, even at that I did not freak out, as I felt fine. Even when I got the dreaded call that I had cancer with the score of 3+4, the nurse also mentioned if it had been lower 3+3, I would have qualified for AS, I recall begging her to put me on AS! She politely declined.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 10:27

This thread has left me feeling left out! I don't recall ever being told how big or small my prostate was.

On the other hand, the letter to my GP describes my operation in great detail, who was present, who assisted, size of ports, type of sutures, etc etc.. and my favourite bit.. was that the specimen (no size stated) was placed in an EndoCatch bag, even comments from the pathologist are included in the letter. But sadly no size.

Cheers!

Kev.

Edited by member 14 Jan 2024 at 10:29  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 11:02

Hi Kev.

Did you get a report on your removed prostate. Mine was very detailed I even got a trimmed weight of it, like it was a bit of brisket. It weighed 54 gms. I'd have loved to have kept it embedded it in plastic and used it as a paper weight.

As I said, I got copies of all my medical records when I was considering taking legal action against my Trust. It didn't cost me a penny to get them and only took a couple of weeks. I'm glad I got them. You seem to get so many different results, it's easy to forget them or get them muddled up.

I think it's a good idea to ask for copies of all consultations, procedures and results.

Adrian

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 11:41

Mine was reported as 93-97cc on different scans, on the larger side, but nowhere near a record. It wasn't giving me any BPH side effects, even though it was pressing quite a large dent into the bottom of the bladder which could be seen on my flexible cystoscopy.

We recently had someone with a 600cc prostate in a local support group, which had only just started causing symptoms. That's the largest I've heard of. (They had BPH, but not prostate cancer.) While enlarged prostates do cause increasing symptoms as they get larger, there's an enormous variation in the point at which symptoms start, and sometimes they never occur.

I follow one of the well-known surgeons on Twitter, and he used to post pictures of interesting prostates he's just removed and one notable one was 200cc, which is regarded as a whopper.

Enlarged prostates are very slightly less likely to get prostate cancer.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 11:51

Hi Adrian, 

No I didn't ask for a report or medical records, at the time I was getting plenty of information from consultations with my urologist and his letters to my GP.

My care was okay so I don't really have cause to take legal action, although I see the appeal of reading a report, and spending a day googling all the medical phrases. 

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 12:21

I found my tumour size on a letter from Oncologist to my GP prior to RT, described as "a rather large 4.3cm tumour ".

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 12:24

I found my tumour size on a letter from Oncologist to my GP prior to RT, described as "a rather large 4.3cm tumour ".

I apologise for questioning it, Mike. It does seem a whopper.

Adrian

Edited by member 14 Jan 2024 at 13:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Jan 2024 at 13:37
No need to apologise at all , if I could enter it at a Country Show it could be a prize winner .
I am guessing it must have been growing at a slow rate for many years.
User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 07:23

No need to apologise at all , if I could enter it at a Country Show it could be a prize winner .

Apparently giant prostatic benign hyperplasis can cause prostates to weigh 500 gms! 

Edited by member 15 Jan 2024 at 09:59  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 17:42

This is an interesting discussion. My histopathology report, 0ver 12 years ago, had very little information compared with the details given nowadays. My report contained my Gleason score and the result of the MRI scan and that was all I had to make a decision after consulting a urologist and a couple of oncologists. I doubt if  I had been given more details (size, volume, percentages of biopsies etc) would I have been any more informed and more confident about my choice of treatment? Does too much information cause confusion for newly diagnosed men and their wives/partners. I often see people posting masses of information and asking for help to interpret because they are confused and desperate to make the right decision. 

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 15 Jan 2024 at 18:32

In my opinion, our specific disease is different to most, because there are so many different treatment options. How many times on this forum do you see people asking if surgery, RT or AS is the best option.

This uncertainty is often caused by consultants who seem reluctant to tell you what is the best treatment for you.  You're left to make the decision. Mine actually gave me  an NHS handout book to read to help me decide my preferred treatment choice.

I'd never experienced this, "You decide what you want to do" attitude before.

When faced with this dilemma, surely to make the best informed decision, you need all the facts.

Otherwise you're left with eeny meeny miny moe.

Edited by member 15 Jan 2024 at 19:41  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 08:57
A year ago last Dec I travelled 5 hours south to Edmonton, Alberta for a hi-rez MRI my urologist had been bugging me to get even tho lower resolution MRIs at a closer hospital, 2 hours away, didn't show anything of note other than an enlarged prostate.

At that time the size was estimated to be 64cc with a PSA test at 16.9. Just a week ago I was sent for an ultrasound by our nurse practitioner for a checkup as my urologist seems to have dropped me for refusing a biopsy multiple times. He never even called about the MRI results when usually I would hear from him just days after an MRI. Very unprofessional of him IMO.

Anyway, the ultrasound pegs the size now at only 44.8cc and the PSA is down to 14.9. Over 19cc reduction in size and a 2 point drop in my PSA.

I've been dealing with my LUTS and other issues with a variety of vitamins, minerals and herbal remedies that seem to be working for me.

Do any other of you sufferers of BPH use alternative remedies and if so which and how do you find them for treating your symptoms?

When I started this voyage of the damned 7 years ago I was getting up 7 or 8 times a night to pee with little happening but still felt like I had to go so had horrible sleep if any and constant daytime fatigue.

Now I get 7 or 8 hours sleep a night and if I have to get up to go something actually happens and I'm back to sleep in minutes with no feeling like I have to go again. At least 4 nights a week I sleep right through the night. My wife has to get up to go at least once a night and she doesn't even own a prostate.

I'm 69 now and according to all the research and books I've read about prostate issues quite likely have a very slow growing prostate cancer but by age 70 if it hasn't turned into something worse it is very unlikely to do so. So only 9 months to go to be in the safe zone! :)
User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 10:43

Hi Bill, nice to meet you and welcome to the forum.

Adrian.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:44

Breaking news

Good luck, your Majesty.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 09:52  | Reason: Addition

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 11:59

Breaking news

Good luck, your Majesty.

One has probably joined already.. under a pseudonym of course. Charlie or something. 

Cheers,

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 14:27

My PSA was 29. Panic stations! My prostate was 127cc - about the size of an 8-ball in pool. This mitigated my PSA score to, pro-rata, one that just about justified taking the thing out. My NHS specialist said there was still a 50/50 chance it had spread but it was my call. Plumped for RP.

Turned out the actual tumour was 1% of the volume of the prostate. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 19:27

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 19:30  | Reason: clarification

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 19:56

But he is King and he can go where he wants. 😄

Edited by member 19 Jan 2024 at 08:54  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 00:38

Were you joking Mike? I am confused 😕 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 07:28

Were you joking Mike? I am confused 😕 

Yes why would the King join a group for a condition he didn't have unless a partner or close relative was effected by it 🤔. 

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 08:12

Deleted

Edited by member 19 Jan 2024 at 08:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 22:10

Hello all,

Well don't really know where to begin..

I know this is $hitte and all here have been there.

No size given just the whole right hand side of my prostate is a solid mass of what I have been told is 95% chance of cancer.

Is this the wrong place? where do you find out the size?

Scared? yes

Sorry, just don't know what to do

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 01:24

Yes why would the King join a group for a condition he didn't have unless a partner or close relative was effected by it 🤔.

The irony being that you posted this in the section of the forum dedicated to members who have BPH or other benign prostate problems 😉

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 21:33

Hi Gents - I'm brand new to the site, and a total noob. Went for a Biopsy today (Ouch!!) and was told my Prostate is 150cc vrs a 40 cc normal for a guy of my age. MRI Spotted a 4mm shadowy thing. I remain hopeful in the face of Prostate Juggernaught!

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 23:04

Hi Gents - I'm brand new to the site, and a total noob. Went for a Biopsy today (Ouch!!) and was told my Prostate is 150cc vrs a 40 cc normal for a guy of my age. MRI Spotted a 4mm shadowy thing. I remain hopeful in the face of Prostate Juggernaught!

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

You've got a whopper. But this is a genuine case of size doesn't matter.

Best of luck with the biopsy results, please keep us updated.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 08:23

82cc with a PSA of 4.18

Recent MRI revealed no concerns, with a PIRADS2 assessment.

My consultant says I may need a second biopsy (first one was in Oct 2019) if December`s PSA test shows a further increase.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 09:27

82cc with a PSA of 4.18

Recent MRI revealed no concerns, with a PIRADS2 assessment.

My consultant says I may need a second biopsy (first one was in Oct 2019) if December`s PSA test shows a further increase.

Hi Paul, I see you joined here in Oct 2019. Presumably, as this is your first post, your first biopsy was all clear. Anyway let me give you a warm and very belated welcome to the forum.

Your prostate is quite enlarged and that's what could be the cause of a slightly higher than normal PSA. I'm not a  clinician but I don't think you've got anything untoward.

Are you getting annual PSA checks and are you on any prostate medication?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 15:49
Thanks for responding Adrian56,

PSA tests every 6 months at the moment. I am not taking any medication,