I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Finding out about your surgeon

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 22:48

Maybe a bit of a strange question to ask but would if be possible to find out about the outcomes of procedures performed by the surgeon who is likely to be yours. eg How many procedures they have done

Probably just a peace of mind thing but any reassurance is welcome

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 00:58
Until a couple of years ago, urologists were required to publish their data for RP on the BAUS website - a couple of the big egos ignored the requirement but almost everyone else did it. Then last year, we all realised that the data had been mysteriously removed from the website and has never reappeared so the only way to find out is to ask the urologist.

Ideally, what you want to know is:
- how many RPs did s/he do last year and the year before
- what % of those had positive margins
- what % require adjuvant RT
- what % go on to have biochemical recurrence and require salvage RT within 2 or 5 years
- what % are continent at the 12 month mark
- what % can get a natural erection at the 12 month mark which is firm enough for penetrative sex
- what % can get an erection firm enough for penetrative sex with the aid of medication by the 12 month mark

If you are asking these kinds of questions, important to be clear about language if you are given broad responses. The NHS defines a man as continent if he is using one pad per day or less at 12 months post-op, and recovering erectile function is the ability to get an erection either naturally or with chemical / mechanical help ... it doesn't include whether the erection is hard enough for penetration.

Also, your surgeon may not have all this data as some don't see their patients again after the 6-week post-op check up and some see their patients but don't always ask them to complete the BAUS quality of life questionnaire.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 08:47

Getting a reply like that from Lyn,  is why this site is such a great place. I'm glad you found it.

I was lucky enough to be privy to my surgeon's track record before it was deleted. You are doing the right in trying to establish how good your chosen man is.

Adrian

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:42
My surgeon is a lady - for some weird reason that made me far more comfortable about the whole thing.
User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
My surgeon is a lady - for some weird reason that made me far more comfortable 

I'd have been far more comfortable if a female had done my DREs, rather than the man who had hands like shovels.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 00:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
My surgeon is a lady - for some weird reason that made me far more comfortable about the whole thing.

My gynaecologist and obstetrician were both male and I had a male midwife for one oc the pregnancies. John has a female ED nurse. We are both of the attitude that gender is rather irrelevant when you want expertise

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Jan 2024 at 17:17

These are really great questions but I find it hard to believe that even the number of RP's performed during each year is not available.