I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Second scan ?

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:10

I am 54 and was diagnosed in December after an MRI and a follow up perineal biopsy.

My Gleason score was 6 (3+3) and 28 samples were taken 5/28 positive. I have been told it is still within the prostate.

The MDT meeting has recommended surgery due to my age ( and I think due to some of the core samples being >50%)

I am struggling to choose which treatment pathway to go on.

I am also worried as I have had a hip/back ache for a few weeks - the nurse has told me that this is unrelated as the MRI would have seen any issues

I have read, but don’t understand about other additional scans. I don’t know if this is something I can request or is even available in Lancashire.

The back ache is probably unrelated but it is making me a bit unsettled.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:23
Prostate cancer does not cause pain until it gets very advanced. After your MRI and Biopsy you can expect a Bone Scintigraphy which generally come back negative. Your back ache is almost certainly unrelated.

What choices have they given you - I assume HT/RT or RARP surgery. There are plenty of people on here who have had both options so ask away - I had my RARP on May last year.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:35

Hi Steve

You messaged me in a different chat yesterday

MDT suggested surgery but also RT or brachytherapy

I feel as they were guiding me way from AS

Edging towards surgery but I need to be confident that there is nothing else going on that would benefit from RT

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 15:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Steve

Now you are just confusing me hahaha :)

I am not an AS type of person as I just feel that it delays the inevitable and I believe in striking while the iron is hot.

But HT/RT is an alternative worth considering - it wasn't my choice as I didn't fancy the HT side effects and to be honest, I just wanted rid of the darn thing :)

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 15:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 17:29

Is a bone scan or a CT scan a normal part of the process of identifying the extent of the pc

I have had the initial MRI and the biopsy but should I expect or request a further scan prior to agreeing to move forward with surgery

I would like to be reassured that if I’m having surgery then it’s only present in the prostate 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:02

Is a bone scan or a CT scan a normal part of the process of identifying the extent of the pc

I have had the initial MRI and the biopsy but should I expect or request a further scan prior to agreeing to move forward with surgery

I would like to be reassured that if I’m having surgery then it’s only present in the prostate 

my husband had MRI then bone scan then biopsy he was Gleason 6 and MDT felt suitable for AS after a lot of thought he’s decided to act now rather than later 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:35

Yes, a bone scintigraphy is pretty standard in the process - you can request one but it should be automatic. 

It would be quite unusual at your stage for it to show anything other than the typical wear and tear on your joints which have nothing to do with cancer :)

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 23:43

Hi Steve

MDT suggested surgery but also RT or brachytherapy

I feel as they were guiding me way from AS

Edging towards surgery but I need to be confident that there is nothing else going on that would benefit from RT

-----------------

Hi Steve - 

I was diagnosed on 4th December 2023 with PCa, Gleason 7 (4+3), T2A, N0, M0 (or should that be X) ... I was told I HAD to have a PSMA PET scan --- as I was 4+3.  In fact, I had both a PSMA PET CT - AND - a PSMA PET MRI as part of a comparative clinical trial.  I was grateful for these - no question - but also fearful as it would remove options - and there were only two at diagnosis for me - RP or HT/RT.   (Blessedly the scans were all clear and there were - even in the prostate - 'no additional findings')  I was told if I had been Gleason 7 (3+4) or lower I WOULDN'T NEED THE SCANS - AND THAT THEY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BEEN MENTIONED/DISCUSSED.  I think it depends on the procedures employed in the different hospitals in the UK, i.e., all down to the established protocols of each.  You can, of course, always ask.  

I was also told my a CNS nurse when being handed my information at the time of diagnosis that I should be '90% decided' by the time of the 'information meeting' with the surgeon and oncologist.  I came dutifully prepared for that but then was flummoxed when LDR Brachytherapy was ALSO suddenly thrown into the mix - when it had NEVER been mentioned before as a possibility for me.  

As I'm finding ... PCa is a very 'movable feast'.  

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 23:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 09:10
Hi Meunier

I understand that a PET scan is a different type of scan compared to a Bone Scintigraphy. From what I have picked up from these chats is that many (most?) of us have had a bone scintigraphy as part of the initial diagnosis procedure but maybe different hospitals have different rules (although of course they shouldn't).

I too was offered Brachy but decided against it and after RP my diagnosis went from G7 to G9 so kind of glad I didn't.