I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post RARP week 10.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 20:57

10 weeks, sounds like a long time, and in some ways it is, in some ways, it's not. I am still very incontinent unless I am asleep or sitting watching TV or working when I "leak" and slowly over time soak my pads or absorbent pads.  It is still amazingly frustrating, embarrassing and makes me angry I have no control, but thanks to the support of people on this site, I am managing and know that things can still improve.   My behind still hurts a lot when pooping, not sure about that one but something to ask about when I see the doctor next month.  My pelvic floor and penis hurt after weeing which again is a little odd but I will ask next doctor visit.  My pelvic floor hurts when sitting on anything but a well padded recliner and I have the feeling I got used as a punching bag across the lower belly.  The five scars from the surgery are now just dark lines and have healed really well.  Overall, I am seeing some improvement, not as quickly as I would like, but things like this rarely are.

For those wondering, my pre op stats were PSA 6.9,PAS Free, 7 %, Gleason 7 (4 + 3), and post op Grade 3, they found the large adenocarcinoma mass and a cribiform and mucinous features and focal perineural invasion.  They also found positive margins, with what is written as nonfocal extension to inked margin of resection right lateral prostate involving a 4mm are by Gleason pattern 4 and focal extension to inked margin resection right anterior prostate involving a 1 mm are involved by Gleason pattern 4.  Not totally sure what all that means.

Again, thanks so much to all who have been so supportive through the start of my journey.  

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 23:24

Hi Richard.

I'm coming up a year post op RARP. 25% of my prostate was cancerous, Gleason 9 (4+5), Grade 5, extra prostatic extension. T3a.

My bladder control has improved enormously. Having said that, tonight, whilst having a few whiskies and watching Alan Partridge on UK Gold; I've laughed that much that I've dribbled several times.

I'm coping with other issues such as ED and the emotional turmoil that it entails. I've accepted that my life has drastically changed but come to the conclusion that it's much better than dying.

I still fear recurrence, and probably will for the next few years. I still dread PSA checks. I still dread that, with my family history of the disease, that my two sons may inherit the curse.

What, like you, has helped me enormously is hearing stories from others on here,  some who are far worse of than me, showing courage and resilience, that I doubt I could in their position.

Life is certainly more difficult than it was, but it's much better than it might have been had my disease been allowed to continue to progress. 

Adrian

Edited by member 20 Jan 2024 at 23:39  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 20:57

10 weeks, sounds like a long time, and in some ways it is, in some ways, it's not. I am still very incontinent unless I am asleep or sitting watching TV or working when I "leak" and slowly over time soak my pads or absorbent pads.  It is still amazingly frustrating, embarrassing and makes me angry I have no control, but thanks to the support of people on this site, I am managing and know that things can still improve.   My behind still hurts a lot when pooping, not sure about that one but something to ask about when I see the doctor next month.  My pelvic floor and penis hurt after weeing which again is a little odd but I will ask next doctor visit.  My pelvic floor hurts when sitting on anything but a well padded recliner and I have the feeling I got used as a punching bag across the lower belly.  The five scars from the surgery are now just dark lines and have healed really well.  Overall, I am seeing some improvement, not as quickly as I would like, but things like this rarely are.

For those wondering, my pre op stats were PSA 6.9,PAS Free, 7 %, Gleason 7 (4 + 3), and post op Grade 3, they found the large adenocarcinoma mass and a cribiform and mucinous features and focal perineural invasion.  They also found positive margins, with what is written as nonfocal extension to inked margin of resection right lateral prostate involving a 4mm are by Gleason pattern 4 and focal extension to inked margin resection right anterior prostate involving a 1 mm are involved by Gleason pattern 4.  Not totally sure what all that means.

Again, thanks so much to all who have been so supportive through the start of my journey.  

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 23:24

Hi Richard.

I'm coming up a year post op RARP. 25% of my prostate was cancerous, Gleason 9 (4+5), Grade 5, extra prostatic extension. T3a.

My bladder control has improved enormously. Having said that, tonight, whilst having a few whiskies and watching Alan Partridge on UK Gold; I've laughed that much that I've dribbled several times.

I'm coping with other issues such as ED and the emotional turmoil that it entails. I've accepted that my life has drastically changed but come to the conclusion that it's much better than dying.

I still fear recurrence, and probably will for the next few years. I still dread PSA checks. I still dread that, with my family history of the disease, that my two sons may inherit the curse.

What, like you, has helped me enormously is hearing stories from others on here,  some who are far worse of than me, showing courage and resilience, that I doubt I could in their position.

Life is certainly more difficult than it was, but it's much better than it might have been had my disease been allowed to continue to progress. 

Adrian

Edited by member 20 Jan 2024 at 23:39  | Reason: Typo