Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Has your sleep been disturbed?

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 06:11

Morning all.

Have you found, that whilst dealing with prostate cancer, your sleep has been impaired.

Mine definitely has. I cannot remember when I last had a good night's sleep. 

I presume most of us struggle with peeing at night (nocturia). By drinking less on an evening, I have fortunately managed to reduce toilet visits to a couple a night. Which apparently is normal for any man of my age (67) whether you've had prostate cancer or not. 

Unless you're  a man of steel or an Iron lady, psychological issues can obviously cause a lack of sleep. Things on the back of your mind, that no matter how well you deal with them during the day,  just seem to bug you in the early hours.

Recently, no matter what time I go to bed, I usually wake up 3 or 4 hours later and after that I seem to get very disturbed sleep.  This usually results in me getting up feeling knackered. This causes fatigue through the day which gets so severe, that late in the afternoon, despite trying my hardest not to, I find myself dozing off for a few minutes. 

I find fatigue is the worse side effect of this disease, it has a huge impact on your mental well being and seems to exacerbate the physical symptoms.

I'm very fortunate to be retired, had I still been at work, these sleep issues would have been a huge problem .

At the moment, I seem to be putting bedding down further back. I used to hit the sack about 11pm, but now it's usually after midnight. I used to love going to bed and having a solid night's kip but now I've almost come to dread bedtime.

Has anyone else had similar issues? How does it effect you, and how are you coping?

I used to find a warm milkly drink last thing used to help but that now adds to peeing problems. I also found a bit of late night hanky panky induced a deep sleep (usually with in a minute of finishing 🙂) but that unfortunately is no longer an option. I've tried reading, and audio books but they don't seem to work either.

Has anyone got any advice or tips to aid a goodnight's sleep?

I don't want to have to resort to sleeping tablets.

Cheers.

Adrian.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2024 at 08:22  | Reason: More damn typos.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 16:55

I was diagnosed with locally advanced PC a little over two years ago. I haven't had a good night's sleep since but possibly for a different reason.

I started hormone therapy immediately (Zoladex) and, as surgery was not possible, had six cycles of chemo followed by 37 fractions of radiotherapy ending in December 2022. But the author of my sleeplessness is the Zoladex. I am awoken with night sweats anything up to half a dozen times each and every night. Sometimes I take the opportunity to pee. I have equiped my bedroom with a large fan, but often it is only by getting up and walking around until they subside that I get any relief. What this does to a good night's sleep is obvious. I feel very tired all the next day. Added to this is persistently anaemia - the proverbial double-whammy for fatigue.

I am due to be on Zoladex for another 12 months and none of the popular remedies, such as sage or evening primrose oil, have helped. Acupuncture didn't help either. A good night's sleep does not appear on the horizon. As the team treating me are aiming for a curative result I have resolved to put up with this.

All good wishes for your treatment and I hope you can find a solution that has eluded me.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:30

Hi Adrian,

is it fatigue or tiredness? This is a topic we discuss often at Maggies. If you are not sleeping well then you will almost certainly be tired, but fatigue is an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion and lack of energy.
Either way, you have undergone major surgery and my experience from my friends in Maggies who’ve had surgery is that they do get fatigued…the say if they overdo it one day, they are totally wiped out the next…and it takes them a long time to get their energy levels back.

Fatigue is about the only side effect I’ve not had whilst on HT, yes I do get tired but that’s mainly due to the Insomnia, another unwelcome side effect of HT😟. Some nights it can take me 3 hours to get to sleep. Many men on HT suffer extreme fatigue. However my energy levels are good and I find the more exercise I do, and the less alcohol I drink(not that much!), the better I sleep. It’s a real struggle at times because of my aching joints but it certainly helps with my sleep. 

Before I started with this disease, I use to wake up every night at 3 or 4 am and found it very difficult to get back to sleep. I would often get up and make a hot drink for myself. Then when I went back to bed my brain must have thought it was just time to bed and I would get back to sleep. If you’re having to get up for a pee often then that maybe wouldn’t help much. I have found that since my doctor prescribed sertraline for me, I don’t have the anxiety(another side effect 😟) so if I wake up I don’t think/overthink about PCa.

I hope you can find something that helps with this,

Derek

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:38
Absolutely yes!! For both Steve and I sleep patterns all over the place since his diagnosis…we both know it’s due to what’s going on in our minds. Just the ups and downs since diagnosis, through to the stage we are at now (post surgery)….steve still in hospital, hoping he’s coming home today after 13 nights in there!!

Obviously not going to be easy with catheter in for another week, then the TWOC and getting to grips with getting through the incontinence, whatever level that might be…then the post op histology meeting….but after all that, we are hoping we will be so punch drunk that we will sleep through anything!! In fact we won’t be worrying about ED for a while…bed will be about catching up on 6 months of poor sleeping!!!
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 11:10

If you are lucky enough to be retired then once you accept you may get up it becomes easier .

I completed my Radiation in December was up more often upto 8 times a night but has now settled to sometimes once or never some nights .

I have a couple of beers around 11pm ( Fullers ESB and a Punk IPA last night ) go to bed at 00:30 and get up around 9am , got up once and in and out of the covers a couple of times .

I guess  we are advised not to drink too late and not beer but life is short and I enjoy a beer .

If I do get up I am lucky to fall asleep again quickly .

Sweet dreams or sweeter dreams to everyone .

Best wishes

Mike

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 06:11

Morning all.

Have you found, that whilst dealing with prostate cancer, your sleep has been impaired.

Mine definitely has. I cannot remember when I last had a good night's sleep. 

I presume most of us struggle with peeing at night (nocturia). By drinking less on an evening, I have fortunately managed to reduce toilet visits to a couple a night. Which apparently is normal for any man of my age (67) whether you've had prostate cancer or not. 

Unless you're  a man of steel or an Iron lady, psychological issues can obviously cause a lack of sleep. Things on the back of your mind, that no matter how well you deal with them during the day,  just seem to bug you in the early hours.

Recently, no matter what time I go to bed, I usually wake up 3 or 4 hours later and after that I seem to get very disturbed sleep.  This usually results in me getting up feeling knackered. This causes fatigue through the day which gets so severe, that late in the afternoon, despite trying my hardest not to, I find myself dozing off for a few minutes. 

I find fatigue is the worse side effect of this disease, it has a huge impact on your mental well being and seems to exacerbate the physical symptoms.

I'm very fortunate to be retired, had I still been at work, these sleep issues would have been a huge problem .

At the moment, I seem to be putting bedding down further back. I used to hit the sack about 11pm, but now it's usually after midnight. I used to love going to bed and having a solid night's kip but now I've almost come to dread bedtime.

Has anyone else had similar issues? How does it effect you, and how are you coping?

I used to find a warm milkly drink last thing used to help but that now adds to peeing problems. I also found a bit of late night hanky panky induced a deep sleep (usually with in a minute of finishing 🙂) but that unfortunately is no longer an option. I've tried reading, and audio books but they don't seem to work either.

Has anyone got any advice or tips to aid a goodnight's sleep?

I don't want to have to resort to sleeping tablets.

Cheers.

Adrian.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2024 at 08:22  | Reason: More damn typos.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:35

It might not be such a bad idea pal, as work certainly helps keep my mind off things. My missus keeps on at me to retire, but I think I'd just go mad at the minute if I was sat around at home all day every day. I fully expect to be moving from AS to treatment at some stage in the next year the way things are going, so that might prompt me to pack up (the thought of random leakage in the office is not really an attractive prospect...) and I'll only be able to get a biff chit for so long 😁

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:57

Like Derek, rather than tossing and turning, I found that getting up for a short period helps to re-set. 3am does seem to be the magic hour for waking up.

Sleeping with as few bedclothes as possible also helps, particularly for those who suffer from hot flushes.

Jules

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 09:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Just the ups and downs since diagnosis, through to the stage we are at now (post surgery)….steve still in hospital, hoping he’s coming home today after 13 nights in!

Hi Debbie.

Fingers crossed you'll both be home today. 

👍🙂

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 09:52
Haven't had a decent night's sleep since the op just over two years ago. Takes ages to doze off in bed (as opposed to two minutes in front of the telly) and then I wake up at 3:00am. After that I seem to alternate between sleep and waking on an hourly basis. It's not nocturia. Its probably only once a month that I need to get up to pee.
I used to be up for work and feeling good at 5:00am every day. Now, getting up at 7:30 is a challenge.
Peter
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 14:30

Thank you everyone for your responses. I know it sounds awful but I get some perverse comfort in knowing that others are also suffering the same. 

I've decided to seek medical advice and if they decide I need sleeping tablets sobeit.

Slightly off subject. I haven't had a GP's appointment for months. Today, I discovered my surgery has changed its booking appointments system. You fill in a little online questionnaire and it's triaged within 24 hours. I did mine at 8:30am this morning. They came back to me within the hour and I've got an appointment tomorrow morning. I couldn't believe their efficiency. Yippee! 

Same for us Adrian, had a notification on our health app that they are starting that system end of January in our area

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 15:12
I guess I am just one of the lucky ones as apart from needing to pee in my bottle once a night for the first few months, that has settledd down and I now sleep all the way through. Prior to the RARP I was getting sleepless nights due to the anticipation of what was going to happen but since then I have in a far better place mentally.

I do have a supply of Zopiclone 7.5mg prescribed by the GP but so far have only needed maybe 6 of them over the last 3 months and then I only need half a tablet.

Of course, being retired also helps LOL
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 16:30

Steve, I do envy you being able to sleep so well, but after your last results, you deserve a break, mate. I hope the 'stand to attention' appointment later this week goes well.

Yes, that is on Friday morning - I have my supply of syringes ready :)
Had my 'perineal physio therapy' session yesterday - I posted a report under the Treatment/Incontinence section. I think that's going to be an amazing help with the leaks.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 01:16

but now I've almost come to dread bedtime

Which, of course, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy :-( 

Sounds like a sleep consultant might be helpful? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 01:28

Had my RP 5 months ago, and my sleep has definitely been affected since then.

Prior to the operation, I would occasionally wake up at between 2 and 4 am, but not to go to toilet.

Since operation, I have reduced my fluid intake in the evenings. Most nights, I would still wake up once or often twice, to empty my bladder. Not because I am full, but just get a sensation of something in the bladder. Often it might only be 100-200ml.  Super annoying.  

I found that max bladder capacity now is only <500ml. That has not really improved over the last few months. 400ml would give me a very full sensation/distinctly uncomfortable. Closer to 450ml will become actually painful.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 07:46
Hello Adrian,
So far I had sleeping problems only in the pre RP period: after it I feel anxious, but I can sleep at night as I used to. I am sure that, as I go through the regular tests, I may have issues with sleeping regularly depending on the results. At night I don't need to wake up to go to the bathroom, so compared to my previous situation no change, I guess this helps as well to stabilize me mentally.
So far I have not taken any pill, but am ready to consider the option should I feel this is necessary, I don't want to commit to myself beyond my emotional abilities to handle the situation.
User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 17:32

I've just got back from the doctors. He said that they are now reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets as they are too addictive. "The risk is not worth the reward", he said. We need to look at lifestyle changes." he said.

"Lifestyle changes!" I retorted. "Have you any idea how prostate cancer has changed my lifestyle?" 

I shall make a voodoo doll of him and keep pricking it at 4am when I can't get back to sleep.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 23:43

I've noticed you regularly post in the early hours. Is that due to interrupted sleep.

No, a combination of insomnia and workload :-(  Midnight to 3am is when I work through my emails, finish off reports, get all my best ideas ... 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 23:49

He said that they are now reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets as they are too addictive.

Great - just what you wanted to hear :-/ Try:- 

- a sleep app 

- 'This works' pillow spray and / or roll on (Boots and M&S sell it) 

- 'Sound Asleep' gummies

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 08:57

I've just got back from the doctors. He said that they are now reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets as they are too addictive. "The risk is not worth the reward", he said. We need to look at lifestyle changes." he said.

"Lifestyle changes!" I retorted. "Have you any idea how prostate cancer has changed my lifestyle?" 

I shall make a voodoo doll of him and keep pricking it at 4am when I can't get back to sleep.

Much the same story here. Part of my chemo treatment involved steroids and they are yet another ruiner of sleep. My medical oncologist prescribed sleeping pills which helped but when I went to my GP for a repeat prescription he would only give me a one-time 14-day prescription so once they were used up I had double insomnia (if there is such a condition) until my chemo was complete. I am now back on single insomnia. My own voodoo doll would feature Zoladex.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 09:51

It doesn't matter whether I go to bed early or late, had a drink or not, eaten earlier or later - after about 4 hours my sleep abruptly stops!

Hello mate.

Someone advised me to try magnesium supplements at night time. Unbelievably, they seem to help. It's probably a psychological effect but it works for me and has made sleeping easier.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 22:40
Adrian,
A little better every day.
User
Posted 19 Apr 2024 at 16:10
Reported
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 07:44

Morning Adrian

In a word yes. I asked a similar question a while ago and got some good feedback (if I can find the post I'll send you a link). From what I gathered there is a very big link between any form of cancer and fatigue. If you have still got your tumour(s) then they take a chunk of your red blood cells as they try and thrive, and then there is the underlying stress/depression which having been diagnosed with cancer can, unless as you say you are superman, settle in and stick around.

I try and get to bed early as I am up just after 5 every day for work, but despite sleeping pretty well apart from the obvious trips to the bathroom, I wake up feeling like a zombie most days. I finally resorted to seeing the doctor and getting put on Sertraline to relieve the stress/depression. They work well, but unfortunately haven't helped with the fatigue.

Have you tried any relaxation techniques in the evening?

Failing everything else mate just imagine you're on the back of a 4 tonner - you'll be out like a light....

Ian.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:05

Failing everything else mate just imagine you're on the back of a 4 tonner - you'll be out like a light...

😁👍

Yeah. I had no problems sleeping in the Army. I could sleep on a washing line.

I'm afraid I've never been into the relaxation stuff. I've got tons of CDs of the sounds of waves lapping against the beach and whales nattering to each other. Does nothing for me. Plus I've got piles of unread Yoga books the missus has bought me.

I think you're doing great managing work so well. Perhaps, on reflection, work might do you good and tire you out abit, plus you haven't got time to over think things so much.?

Perhaps I should volunteer to work in a charity shop or something like that. I suppose it might help.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2024 at 08:07  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:30

Hi Adrian,

is it fatigue or tiredness? This is a topic we discuss often at Maggies. If you are not sleeping well then you will almost certainly be tired, but fatigue is an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion and lack of energy.
Either way, you have undergone major surgery and my experience from my friends in Maggies who’ve had surgery is that they do get fatigued…the say if they overdo it one day, they are totally wiped out the next…and it takes them a long time to get their energy levels back.

Fatigue is about the only side effect I’ve not had whilst on HT, yes I do get tired but that’s mainly due to the Insomnia, another unwelcome side effect of HT😟. Some nights it can take me 3 hours to get to sleep. Many men on HT suffer extreme fatigue. However my energy levels are good and I find the more exercise I do, and the less alcohol I drink(not that much!), the better I sleep. It’s a real struggle at times because of my aching joints but it certainly helps with my sleep. 

Before I started with this disease, I use to wake up every night at 3 or 4 am and found it very difficult to get back to sleep. I would often get up and make a hot drink for myself. Then when I went back to bed my brain must have thought it was just time to bed and I would get back to sleep. If you’re having to get up for a pee often then that maybe wouldn’t help much. I have found that since my doctor prescribed sertraline for me, I don’t have the anxiety(another side effect 😟) so if I wake up I don’t think/overthink about PCa.

I hope you can find something that helps with this,

Derek

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:35

It might not be such a bad idea pal, as work certainly helps keep my mind off things. My missus keeps on at me to retire, but I think I'd just go mad at the minute if I was sat around at home all day every day. I fully expect to be moving from AS to treatment at some stage in the next year the way things are going, so that might prompt me to pack up (the thought of random leakage in the office is not really an attractive prospect...) and I'll only be able to get a biff chit for so long 😁

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:38
Absolutely yes!! For both Steve and I sleep patterns all over the place since his diagnosis…we both know it’s due to what’s going on in our minds. Just the ups and downs since diagnosis, through to the stage we are at now (post surgery)….steve still in hospital, hoping he’s coming home today after 13 nights in there!!

Obviously not going to be easy with catheter in for another week, then the TWOC and getting to grips with getting through the incontinence, whatever level that might be…then the post op histology meeting….but after all that, we are hoping we will be so punch drunk that we will sleep through anything!! In fact we won’t be worrying about ED for a while…bed will be about catching up on 6 months of poor sleeping!!!
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 08:57

Like Derek, rather than tossing and turning, I found that getting up for a short period helps to re-set. 3am does seem to be the magic hour for waking up.

Sleeping with as few bedclothes as possible also helps, particularly for those who suffer from hot flushes.

Jules

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 09:15

Just the ups and downs since diagnosis, through to the stage we are at now (post surgery)….steve still in hospital, hoping he’s coming home today after 13 nights in!

Hi Debbie.

Fingers crossed you'll both be home today. 

👍🙂

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 09:52
Haven't had a decent night's sleep since the op just over two years ago. Takes ages to doze off in bed (as opposed to two minutes in front of the telly) and then I wake up at 3:00am. After that I seem to alternate between sleep and waking on an hourly basis. It's not nocturia. Its probably only once a month that I need to get up to pee.
I used to be up for work and feeling good at 5:00am every day. Now, getting up at 7:30 is a challenge.
Peter
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 10:11

Thank you everyone for your responses. I know it sounds awful but I get some perverse comfort in knowing that others are also suffering the same. 

I've decided to seek medical advice and if they decide I need sleeping tablets sobeit.

Slightly off subject. I haven't had a GP's appointment for months. Today, I discovered my surgery has changed its booking appointments system. You fill in a little online questionnaire and it's triaged within 24 hours. I did mine at 8:30am this morning. They came back to me within the hour and I've got an appointment tomorrow morning. I couldn't believe their efficiency. Yippee! 

Edited by member 23 Jan 2024 at 10:14  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 11:10

If you are lucky enough to be retired then once you accept you may get up it becomes easier .

I completed my Radiation in December was up more often upto 8 times a night but has now settled to sometimes once or never some nights .

I have a couple of beers around 11pm ( Fullers ESB and a Punk IPA last night ) go to bed at 00:30 and get up around 9am , got up once and in and out of the covers a couple of times .

I guess  we are advised not to drink too late and not beer but life is short and I enjoy a beer .

If I do get up I am lucky to fall asleep again quickly .

Sweet dreams or sweeter dreams to everyone .

Best wishes

Mike

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 14:30

Same for us Adrian, had a notification on our health app that they are starting that system end of January in our area

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 14:56

Better than the stressful race at 7:59:30 and suffering the long auto attendant message that does its best to suggest a zillion hands off options plus the anti abuse warning before the receptionist finally  picks up, only to find you are number 20 in the queue. But, unless they get back to you promptly, it's a bit of a black hole once your online request has been submitted, isn't it?

Peter

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 15:12
I guess I am just one of the lucky ones as apart from needing to pee in my bottle once a night for the first few months, that has settledd down and I now sleep all the way through. Prior to the RARP I was getting sleepless nights due to the anticipation of what was going to happen but since then I have in a far better place mentally.

I do have a supply of Zopiclone 7.5mg prescribed by the GP but so far have only needed maybe 6 of them over the last 3 months and then I only need half a tablet.

Of course, being retired also helps LOL
User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 15:46

Debbie, did Steve manage to escape today?

Peter, your system is how mine used to be, absolutely horrendous.

Steve, I do envy you being able to sleep so well, but after your last results, you deserve a break, mate. I hope the 'stand to attention' appointment later this week goes well.

Adrian.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2024 at 15:48  | Reason: Spelling.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 16:30

Yes, that is on Friday morning - I have my supply of syringes ready :)
Had my 'perineal physio therapy' session yesterday - I posted a report under the Treatment/Incontinence section. I think that's going to be an amazing help with the leaks.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 01:16

Sounds like a sleep consultant might be helpful? 

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 01:28

Had my RP 5 months ago, and my sleep has definitely been affected since then.

Prior to the operation, I would occasionally wake up at between 2 and 4 am, but not to go to toilet.

Since operation, I have reduced my fluid intake in the evenings. Most nights, I would still wake up once or often twice, to empty my bladder. Not because I am full, but just get a sensation of something in the bladder. Often it might only be 100-200ml.  Super annoying.  

I found that max bladder capacity now is only <500ml. That has not really improved over the last few months. 400ml would give me a very full sensation/distinctly uncomfortable. Closer to 450ml will become actually painful.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 05:11

Very true Lyn, very true.

Bedded down at midnight awake at 4 am. I've spent the rest of the night on here, just me and the moderator.😁

I've noticed you regularly post in the early hours. Is that due to interrupted sleep. I've started sleeping in the spare room a lot, so as not to disturb the missus. Apparently when I do sleep I snore like a pig, but I can't blame that on cancer.😁

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 07:46
Hello Adrian,
So far I had sleeping problems only in the pre RP period: after it I feel anxious, but I can sleep at night as I used to. I am sure that, as I go through the regular tests, I may have issues with sleeping regularly depending on the results. At night I don't need to wake up to go to the bathroom, so compared to my previous situation no change, I guess this helps as well to stabilize me mentally.
So far I have not taken any pill, but am ready to consider the option should I feel this is necessary, I don't want to commit to myself beyond my emotional abilities to handle the situation.
User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 16:55

I was diagnosed with locally advanced PC a little over two years ago. I haven't had a good night's sleep since but possibly for a different reason.

I started hormone therapy immediately (Zoladex) and, as surgery was not possible, had six cycles of chemo followed by 37 fractions of radiotherapy ending in December 2022. But the author of my sleeplessness is the Zoladex. I am awoken with night sweats anything up to half a dozen times each and every night. Sometimes I take the opportunity to pee. I have equiped my bedroom with a large fan, but often it is only by getting up and walking around until they subside that I get any relief. What this does to a good night's sleep is obvious. I feel very tired all the next day. Added to this is persistently anaemia - the proverbial double-whammy for fatigue.

I am due to be on Zoladex for another 12 months and none of the popular remedies, such as sage or evening primrose oil, have helped. Acupuncture didn't help either. A good night's sleep does not appear on the horizon. As the team treating me are aiming for a curative result I have resolved to put up with this.

All good wishes for your treatment and I hope you can find a solution that has eluded me.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 17:32

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 23:43

I've noticed you regularly post in the early hours. Is that due to interrupted sleep.

No, a combination of insomnia and workload :-(  Midnight to 3am is when I work through my emails, finish off reports, get all my best ideas ... 

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 23:49

He said that they are now reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets as they are too addictive.

Great - just what you wanted to hear :-/ Try:- 

- a sleep app 

- 'This works' pillow spray and / or roll on (Boots and M&S sell it) 

- 'Sound Asleep' gummies

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 08:57

Much the same story here. Part of my chemo treatment involved steroids and they are yet another ruiner of sleep. My medical oncologist prescribed sleeping pills which helped but when I went to my GP for a repeat prescription he would only give me a one-time 14-day prescription so once they were used up I had double insomnia (if there is such a condition) until my chemo was complete. I am now back on single insomnia. My own voodoo doll would feature Zoladex.

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 09:18

Fortunately I slept a lot better last night. Bed at 1am, awake from 4-5am, up at 7am. I'm glad because it's my mum's 100th birthday today! Plus my youngest lad's staying with us for a couple of days, to see his nana and join in the celebration. Let's hope her card has arrived from His Majesty.

Edited by member 25 Jan 2024 at 09:19  | Reason: Spelling.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 09:10
Yes!!! Following my RARP (3 years ago) I have been waking up between 3:00 - 4:00 every night. I don't need to use the loo - my eyes just ping open and I'm wide awake for the rest of the night.

My GP sent me for sleep apnia tests, which were negative, and I've only just thought about the possibility that it could be connected to the surgery.

So relieved to find that I may have found the reason, even if I am slightly deflated by your report that the GP said there was nothing that could be done other than 'lifestyle change'. I can't see what there is to change! It doesn't matter whether I go to bed early or late, had a drink or not, eaten earlier or later - after about 4 hours my sleep abruptly stops!
User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 09:51

It doesn't matter whether I go to bed early or late, had a drink or not, eaten earlier or later - after about 4 hours my sleep abruptly stops!

Hello mate.

Someone advised me to try magnesium supplements at night time. Unbelievably, they seem to help. It's probably a psychological effect but it works for me and has made sleeping easier.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 16:31

Adrian,

So sorry to hear this.  Poor sleep or interrupted sleep is horrible.  Please see your GP, get a B12 check, I messaged you with my results.  Never know, it might be ok, but it can cause a lot of issues and as a rule isn't normally checked.

Thinking of you mate.

Richard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 17:18

Thanks Richard.  It's very kind of you to contact me. Fortunately I do think my sleep is getting slightly better. How are you doing?

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 22:40
Adrian,
A little better every day.
User
Posted 19 Apr 2024 at 16:10
Reported