I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiraterone side effects

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 18:07

Hi. I've been taking Abiraterone 1g daily since October 2023, due to start radiotherapy in March. I haven't really had any problems with side effects but I've found that my skin is drier than usual and I'm constantly getting painful hacks around my fingernails. My consultant didn't know if this was a side effect of abiraterone. Does anyone else have this problem. It may seem trivial but its actually painful.

Edited by moderator 24 Jan 2024 at 18:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 16:53

Hi Nick. I’ve been on Abi since June 2023. 
I also have Zoladex implants. 
At the moment they are just about keeping my PSA steady at 4. See my consultant next Tuesday after some scans to see what’s going on. 
With regard to side effects my worst is tiredness. I also have the dry skin but no issue around my nails. I use hand cream , usually at night. 
Im struggling to get to sleep at night at the moment but that could be because I’ve changed from Mirtazapine anti depressant to Citalopram . I’ve struggled mentally since going on the HT in January 2018. I don’t think I’m alone with that and I’ve got through 2 counsellers in the last few years … worn them out I think. 
Good luck with finding something for the dry skin. 
Phil

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 17:15

Phil,

I am on Sertraline for anxiety which kicked in when I started on Prostap…I was coping before then, just! I don’t know how I would have coped without sertraline TBH, it has been a lifesaver for me. I haven’t bothered with counsellors as this has been brought on by the drug, and I don’t know what a counsellor can bring to the party. I have no intention of stopping it until I am finished HT as I just could not function beforehand, it was awful…much worse than being diagnosed with PCa. We have so much to deal with already without the added complications of feeling anxious.  What I know DOES help is my local Maggies Support Group..it has made a HUGE difference to me in coming to terms with this disease and the best counselling I could have wished for.

Derek

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 17:19

Hi Derek. I had issues from my childhood which the HT brought back so I needed to deal with that as well, so that’s the main reason for the counselling. 
It’s certainly not an easy journey for any of us, and our families. 
I was considering Sertraline but opted for Citalopram instead. Give it a while and see how it goes. 
Phil

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 17:32

Phil, you are so right in what you say, I just said to my wife this morning that this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life…and it IS probably for my wife as well, balancing care for her 95 year old mother, and supporting me. And  I’m not talking about PCa, but the side effects of Prostap. I know it’s doing a job and hopefully curing me but Ive got another 18 momths(3 years in total) to go and the thought that I might end up on this for life scares the hell out of me!

I hope the Citalopram works for you.

Derek

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 17:35

I am on this for life now 🤷‍♂️. It’s in my lymph nodes and somewhere else , I didn’t ask where. And I suspect next week I will find out the PCa has been spreading its wings …. 
Good luck

Phil

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 22:49

Hi,

interesting about the nails side effect. I have been on Abi for one month and have noticed pain at the joint of nail and skin on thumbs and big toes. Never had it before and all of a sudden I have had three separate instances. It’s either the Abi or the Pred or the Zoladex I guess?