I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment for gynaecomastia after HT

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 14:35

Ok so I had RP in 2014, which recurred 3 years later and I underwent HT plus RT in 2018

been undetectable since but the Bicalutamide was murder, alongside the fact that my Onco refused to prescribe me Tamoxifen at the outset as I feared that I would grow breast (which I did, was raging at her tbh)

she cautiously and gradually gave me weekly 10mg doses until my GP put me on daily 20mg dose which stopped the pain and tenderness but was too late to stop the moobs growing.

i was patient after HT stopped, exercised, was slim but they stayed. Then I asked for the breast reduction surgery that I knew I would be able to get - 20 month waiting list and I had the operation on Monday

it was brutal I might add, more painful that the prostate OP and the bruising on my chest is bad, but although it’s only a few days I am so glad I did it, it’s flatter, no largish breasts or tissue and looking more like I used to. Obviously it’s early days and I need to wait 3 months to see overall effect but I can go back to wearing non-dark t shirts again and maybe even be able to go topless at the beach again

happy (but painful) days 

(Tried to post a photo but couldn’t find an option)

Edited by member 25 Jan 2024 at 16:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 21:48

Pleased you managed to get breast reduction surgery. There have been some suggestions the NHS will stop providing this. It's annoying that the possibility of avoiding this was refused. I wonder if your oncologist has learned anything for future patients from this incident?

Tamoxifen doesn't always work - it's about 70% successful when taken at the right time. Any history of DVT or cardio issues would prevent Tamoxifen being prescribed. Some liver problems can stop Tamoxifen being prescribed or working - the main active form is a metabolite created by the liver from Tamoxifen, with Tamoxifen itself not being so effective.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 23:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It's annoying that the possibility of avoiding this was refused. I wonder if your oncologist has learned anything for future patients from this incident?

It's the same in our area - the ICB will not allow tamoxifen or RT to the breast buds but will fund surgical removal for men who are psychologically affected by breast growth if they can demonstrate it is serious enough. It's ridiculous. 

Well done Bill - but I  am grateful there is no photo capability on here! 

Edited by member 27 Jan 2024 at 23:20  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 21:48

Pleased you managed to get breast reduction surgery. There have been some suggestions the NHS will stop providing this. It's annoying that the possibility of avoiding this was refused. I wonder if your oncologist has learned anything for future patients from this incident?

Tamoxifen doesn't always work - it's about 70% successful when taken at the right time. Any history of DVT or cardio issues would prevent Tamoxifen being prescribed. Some liver problems can stop Tamoxifen being prescribed or working - the main active form is a metabolite created by the liver from Tamoxifen, with Tamoxifen itself not being so effective.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 23:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It's annoying that the possibility of avoiding this was refused. I wonder if your oncologist has learned anything for future patients from this incident?

It's the same in our area - the ICB will not allow tamoxifen or RT to the breast buds but will fund surgical removal for men who are psychologically affected by breast growth if they can demonstrate it is serious enough. It's ridiculous. 

Well done Bill - but I  am grateful there is no photo capability on here! 

Edited by member 27 Jan 2024 at 23:20  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard