I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Almost a year on after RARP

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 13:56

It's almost my prostate free first anniversary.

I had it chopped out on Valentines day 2023 😍. I think I must have upset the lady in listings.

The removed gland's histology showed T3a, bilateral disease, with EPE, still haven't got a clue about margins, Gleason 9 (4+5). Non nerve sparing, took out seminal vesicles and fatty tissues. Prostate was 25% cancerous, but the other stuff all came back negative.

I've just had my fourth PSA test result. Like the other three, it was undetectable <.02 (The lowest my lab can measure to)

It's been a roller coaster year. I had two last minute cancellations for the op. One for anaesthetist concerns, the other due to bed shortage. Both were hard to bear, causing a two month delay, during which as a temporary stopgap, they put me on Bical.  

I was lucky, the op was an absolute doddle, just an overnight stay.

The catheter took some getting used to, but was no big deal.

Incontinence was difficult for 6 months, but apart from the odd dribble, pretty good now.

My sex life hasn't changed a bit, just like pre op, it's pretty poor and very infrequent. Only kidding darling (Just in case you've found my password)

Joking apart, the biggest issue has definitely been ED. However, after 6 months, I can, with Invicorp injections, still to do the biz. It's nowhere near as good as before, but it's better than nowt.

However, even a year on, I don't feel totally safe. I understand the risks of recurrence, and I don't seem to sleep quite as well as I used to. I still hate PSA time, but it's been made much easier now that I'm having the blood samples taken at my GPs. I had my blood test at 9:10 am, yesterday, and because my GP is on Systmonline, I could view my results at 11am this morning. That saves a lot of stress.

I hope I don't come across as gloating, that's the last thing in the world I'd want to do. I fully appreciate, that thus far, I'm one of the lucky ones and I'm fully aware of those less fortunate than me. 

I've noticed recently, that we seem to have had a bit of a run of bad results on here. I just wanted to balance that out a little, and give a bit of hope to others.

I've only known you for 4 months, but can clearly see that you're a great bunch. I thoroughly enjoy your company, and I'm very grateful for you help and support. I wish you all well. 

PS: This is not a farewell speech. You don't get rid of me that easily

Adrian

Edited by member 30 Jan 2024 at 14:25  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 13:56

It's almost my prostate free first anniversary.

I had it chopped out on Valentines day 2023 😍. I think I must have upset the lady in listings.

The removed gland's histology showed T3a, bilateral disease, with EPE, still haven't got a clue about margins, Gleason 9 (4+5). Non nerve sparing, took out seminal vesicles and fatty tissues. Prostate was 25% cancerous, but the other stuff all came back negative.

I've just had my fourth PSA test result. Like the other three, it was undetectable <.02 (The lowest my lab can measure to)

It's been a roller coaster year. I had two last minute cancellations for the op. One for anaesthetist concerns, the other due to bed shortage. Both were hard to bear, causing a two month delay, during which as a temporary stopgap, they put me on Bical.  

I was lucky, the op was an absolute doddle, just an overnight stay.

The catheter took some getting used to, but was no big deal.

Incontinence was difficult for 6 months, but apart from the odd dribble, pretty good now.

My sex life hasn't changed a bit, just like pre op, it's pretty poor and very infrequent. Only kidding darling (Just in case you've found my password)

Joking apart, the biggest issue has definitely been ED. However, after 6 months, I can, with Invicorp injections, still to do the biz. It's nowhere near as good as before, but it's better than nowt.

However, even a year on, I don't feel totally safe. I understand the risks of recurrence, and I don't seem to sleep quite as well as I used to. I still hate PSA time, but it's been made much easier now that I'm having the blood samples taken at my GPs. I had my blood test at 9:10 am, yesterday, and because my GP is on Systmonline, I could view my results at 11am this morning. That saves a lot of stress.

I hope I don't come across as gloating, that's the last thing in the world I'd want to do. I fully appreciate, that thus far, I'm one of the lucky ones and I'm fully aware of those less fortunate than me. 

I've noticed recently, that we seem to have had a bit of a run of bad results on here. I just wanted to balance that out a little, and give a bit of hope to others.

I've only known you for 4 months, but can clearly see that you're a great bunch. I thoroughly enjoy your company, and I'm very grateful for you help and support. I wish you all well. 

PS: This is not a farewell speech. You don't get rid of me that easily

Adrian

Edited by member 30 Jan 2024 at 14:25  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 14:34

Good hear about your progress Adrian. PSA anxiety is awful so it’s good that your GP has the results online within a day. Up here in Scotland we are still living in the dark ages and I was having to wait at least a week to get the results from my GP only to be told by the receptionist that they were ‘normal’. I’ve even been told by one of them(a bit of a dragon TBH) that ‘Yes, we have the results but the doc has to review them first so I can’t tell you!’😑😑
Now, I bypass my GP and call my CNS who will give me the results as soon as they are in the system.

Glad your PSA has remained undetectable….I will be having a wee celebration if mine ever gets to that level, although up here anything less than 0.1 is undetectable. I actually find it quite confusing when some seem to measure to 2 decimal places and others only 1.

Glad you can see the funny side of your sex life…sometimes you just HAVE to laugh!

You mustn’t feel guilty about being a success story…these kind of stories really help others. Although I wasn’t given the option of the Op, I’m always really pleased to here about success stories no matter what treatment you’ve had.

I don’t think there can be many that feel totally safe after having PCa. What we have to do is just get on with enjoying our lives as much as possible….except around PSA Testing time😱

One of the guys in Maggies came up with a very funny story recently …he had bowel cancer and fitted with a bag. Eventually he decided to go for the reversal and have the bag removed. He came in to Maggies and announced ‘My nickname now is Dyson’…..Puzzled looks by many to which he retorted ‘Bagless!’ 🀣🀣🀣
we have many laughs in Maggies….often at my Expense😩I haven’t been to a meeting since December and am looking forward to ‘Boys Club’ on Friday, followed by lunch with a couple of the guys.

Good luck to you in the future Adrian.😊

Derek

Derek

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 15:45

Great news on your latest result mate πŸ‘ Man of few words today, as I'm just about shut the laptop and bugger off home for the day 😁

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 18:37

Congratulations on your recovery and long may it continue, Adrian. Something for us all to hope and aspire to.

I agree you shouldn’t feel guilty about posting success, it’s inspirational. What will you be doing this Valentine’s day I wonder ? πŸ˜‚

Had the Brachytherapy assessment today and another pipe up my a*rse. Good to go, just need the PSA under control first.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 19:28

Great news Adrian! 

Very happy to read your test went well! 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 06:01
πŸ‘All good news welcome on here Adrian.

Long may it continue

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 09:37

Tell her you've got healing hands.........🀣

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 00:13
That's is very good news Adrian. Keep moving in the positive direction.

Richard.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 14:34

Good hear about your progress Adrian. PSA anxiety is awful so it’s good that your GP has the results online within a day. Up here in Scotland we are still living in the dark ages and I was having to wait at least a week to get the results from my GP only to be told by the receptionist that they were ‘normal’. I’ve even been told by one of them(a bit of a dragon TBH) that ‘Yes, we have the results but the doc has to review them first so I can’t tell you!’😑😑
Now, I bypass my GP and call my CNS who will give me the results as soon as they are in the system.

Glad your PSA has remained undetectable….I will be having a wee celebration if mine ever gets to that level, although up here anything less than 0.1 is undetectable. I actually find it quite confusing when some seem to measure to 2 decimal places and others only 1.

Glad you can see the funny side of your sex life…sometimes you just HAVE to laugh!

You mustn’t feel guilty about being a success story…these kind of stories really help others. Although I wasn’t given the option of the Op, I’m always really pleased to here about success stories no matter what treatment you’ve had.

I don’t think there can be many that feel totally safe after having PCa. What we have to do is just get on with enjoying our lives as much as possible….except around PSA Testing time😱

One of the guys in Maggies came up with a very funny story recently …he had bowel cancer and fitted with a bag. Eventually he decided to go for the reversal and have the bag removed. He came in to Maggies and announced ‘My nickname now is Dyson’…..Puzzled looks by many to which he retorted ‘Bagless!’ 🀣🀣🀣
we have many laughs in Maggies….often at my Expense😩I haven’t been to a meeting since December and am looking forward to ‘Boys Club’ on Friday, followed by lunch with a couple of the guys.

Good luck to you in the future Adrian.😊

Derek

Derek

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 15:45

Great news on your latest result mate πŸ‘ Man of few words today, as I'm just about shut the laptop and bugger off home for the day 😁

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 18:37

Congratulations on your recovery and long may it continue, Adrian. Something for us all to hope and aspire to.

I agree you shouldn’t feel guilty about posting success, it’s inspirational. What will you be doing this Valentine’s day I wonder ? πŸ˜‚

Had the Brachytherapy assessment today and another pipe up my a*rse. Good to go, just need the PSA under control first.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 19:02

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
What will you be doing this Valentine’s day I wonder ? πŸ˜‚

The same as I do every year. Trying to find a new excuse why I forgot to get her a card. 😁

Edited by member 30 Jan 2024 at 21:27  | Reason: Emoji

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 19:28

Great news Adrian! 

Very happy to read your test went well! 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 06:01

Long may it continue

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 07:23

Long may it continue

Morning Bill.

I've just checked your Bio. There are many similarities, we both had robotic surgery, both T3a with EPE. The only difference my Gleason was 9, yours 7, and you're 6 years younger than me.

I find it so encouraging that 7 years on, your PSA is still almost untraceable. That gives me hope that I might be lucky enough to follow suit and avoid recurrence.

Edited by member 31 Jan 2024 at 10:36  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 08:53

I'm just about shut the laptop

I had to shut my very quickly, when the wife almost caught me doing some ED therapy. 😁

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 09:37

Tell her you've got healing hands.........🀣

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 00:13
That's is very good news Adrian. Keep moving in the positive direction.

Richard.