Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advise post RP

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:21

Hello,

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in November I'm only 46 but have had a few PSA test’s done over last 5/6 years as family history of this, the one came back at 3.7 so had the examinations/mri/biopsy and when diagnosed opted for surgery,

I had RP only on Friday 26th and discharged on the Saturday, but didn’t really get much information about what I can and cannot do when to start doing more etc so reaching out for advice/tips etc please, 

since I’ve got home just got up every hour or so to have little leg stretch I’ve got stocking and injections for 28days, got appointments for catheter to come out next Friday and follow up in march,

before this was very active with plenty of walking, running and cycling and days out to theme parks etc so what’s people’s experience of when to get back into these,

steve.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:45
Hi Steve, we are relative newbies on here (6 months since diagnosis), my husband, also a Steve, had his RARP exactly three weeks ago.

His case isn’t typical as he was in hospital 2 weeks as bowel got perforated during surgery and the urethra join to bladder was tricky so still got catheter in….(coming out next week) .but, this is what I can tell you on how he is now. Still got a week of injections, 28 days like you.

Age 62; considered very healthy and active prior to RARP.

WOUNDS: healed really well but Steve says he can still feel them ‘knitting’, not painful just aware.

MOBILITY: he is fine walking around, light chores (oh yes!!), went for first walk yesterday outside, about a mile steadily. The main thing restricting him is the catheter, if that wasn’t in still we would be walking a couple of miles and building it up.

He was told, absolutely no lifting, although you feel well, there is risk to damage internally, I think the advice was for 6 months.

Re mobility he was told to take it at the pace you feel comfortable at, listen to your body, if you feel shattered, then slow down and build it up.

Driving - common sense here, ok when you feel you can safely do an emergency stop. We are thinking 6 weeks post op to give it a go.

We cleared our calendar with no plans until 8 weeks post op as we didn’t know how things would be. We are off to centreparcs with the family early March. Before that I’m sure we will have a few gentle walks and a visit to the pub!! But not being too ambitious.

One of the things we don’t know about yet which may affect how quickly life gets some normality is the bladder control once catheter out…..how are you doing in that respect?

Debbie
User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I’m sure we will have a few gentle walks and a visit to the pub!! 
Debbie

Hi Debbie, great to hear from you. I was wondering how Steve was recovering. 

I was in the pub five days post op, filling the catheter. Doubt it's recommended, but it was a milestone I needed to reach asap. 😄

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:03

Hi Steve. 

Had my robotic surgery (here in Ireland they tend to use “RALP” two weeks ago and I have a slightly different experience so think it might be no harm for you to have some variety! I’m 61. Was in good health before and just stayed the one night. In hospital. Discharged with a catheter - came out after 7 days and only on paracetamol for initial discomfort which I no longer need. I have been up and about for at least part of each day since the catheter came out. I’m walking the dog as we speak (Sorry Suzy!). Building up stamina by walking a bit more each day. I will be fit for work by 12th with any luck. I certainly feel things going in the right direction. I’m not lifting and will take advice before but want to get back to the gym in time - no rush though - walk before run etc. feel I can drive soon but will take advice. It’s probably core development that might take a while to get into but I am walking a lot! Things can go well but everyone’s situation unique so my advice is listen to your body as well as the nurses but don’t overdo anything. 

hope that helps!

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:21

Hello,

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in November I'm only 46 but have had a few PSA test’s done over last 5/6 years as family history of this, the one came back at 3.7 so had the examinations/mri/biopsy and when diagnosed opted for surgery,

I had RP only on Friday 26th and discharged on the Saturday, but didn’t really get much information about what I can and cannot do when to start doing more etc so reaching out for advice/tips etc please, 

since I’ve got home just got up every hour or so to have little leg stretch I’ve got stocking and injections for 28days, got appointments for catheter to come out next Friday and follow up in march,

before this was very active with plenty of walking, running and cycling and days out to theme parks etc so what’s people’s experience of when to get back into these,

steve.

User

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Its a shame you've had to find us mate, but I'm glad you have.

I had the same op a year ago.

I hope this link helps: 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/surgery

Best of luck and I hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery.

Adrian

Edited by member 31 Jan 2024 at 11:52  | Reason: Changed links

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:15
Just to add my 2c - RARP in May 23.

Keep moving around - get up at least every 20 minutes for a walk around the house.
Don't be tempted to lift anything more than a bottle of milk for a couple of weeks - a friend tried gardening and is now scheduled for a hernia repair in the primary wound area.
Keep the catheter tube and connector sterile - use antiseptic on a pad to clean it and never touch it with fingers.
Keep up the fluid intake (water) and empty the day bag when 2/3rds full.

The good news is that catheter removal is not painful but stock up on some TENA men pads and take a couple with you. I'd start with a #3.

Good luck and keep asking questions :)
User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 14:49

Steve , just to elaborate on the good advice on the catheter.

I have had around 12 trial without catheter and never failed. Mine usually took around three hours. I usually drank plenty of water before getting to the hospital, I find that if i am well hydrated before getting to the hospital the water they give me to drink at the TWOC passes through me far quicker. It is better to leak a bit than have a catheter put back in because you failed the TWOC. The removal is frequently described as weird, it should be pain free. If it gets stuck on the way out ask for a urologist to attend, my surgeon is convinced a swift removal after getting stuck caused my post op stricture issues.

As already said make sure you have some pads, the hospital will normally give you some, but as a work colleague used to say better to be looking at some than looking for some. I took a towel and cover for the car seat in case of a "major" leak but it never happened. I also had a urine bottle in the car in case of an emergency. The towel is useful if stuck in a traffic jam with a coachload of people at the side of you😀. You could take a spare pair of trousers and pants, again i never needed them. Elasticated waist trousers make it very easy to change the pad in a hurry. 

Once the catheter is removed remember to contract those pelvic muscles as you are  going from sitting to standing up, this is when lots of us experienced a leak.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 15:38

Hi all, 

thank you all for the advice, 

the catheter I’m used to it and doesn’t really bother me now, the first day or 2 felt odd, but all is good, the night bags are fine, was given a catheter holder to pin night bag onto so that helps,

that was one question was going to ask about when it’s removed, what pads etc but will stock up before next Friday, will drink plenty of fluids before hand, appointment is at 9am so early get up to start drinking,

With mobility il try a walk down to the coffee shop once catheter is out it’s only 1/4 mile away so not to far,

The operation I had was RALP not sure what the difference is between that and RARP tbh,

at the TWOC if I leak to much does that mean I fail it? Or they just looking to see I can go,

will certainly not lift anything heavy for awhile, my job requires plenty of lifting/manual work and only about a hour a day at computer so things will have to change before I go back,

I done some pelvic floor exercises before going in and will start back up once catheter out,

Steve. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Hi Steve, we are relative newbies on here (6 months since diagnosis), my husband, also a Steve, had his RARP exactly three weeks ago.

His case isn’t typical as he was in hospital 2 weeks as bowel got perforated during surgery and the urethra join to bladder was tricky so still got catheter in….(coming out next week) .but, this is what I can tell you on how he is now. Still got a week of injections, 28 days like you.

Age 62; considered very healthy and active prior to RARP.

WOUNDS: healed really well but Steve says he can still feel them ‘knitting’, not painful just aware.

MOBILITY: he is fine walking around, light chores (oh yes!!), went for first walk yesterday outside, about a mile steadily. The main thing restricting him is the catheter, if that wasn’t in still we would be walking a couple of miles and building it up.

He was told, absolutely no lifting, although you feel well, there is risk to damage internally, I think the advice was for 6 months.

Re mobility he was told to take it at the pace you feel comfortable at, listen to your body, if you feel shattered, then slow down and build it up.

Driving - common sense here, ok when you feel you can safely do an emergency stop. We are thinking 6 weeks post op to give it a go.

We cleared our calendar with no plans until 8 weeks post op as we didn’t know how things would be. We are off to centreparcs with the family early March. Before that I’m sure we will have a few gentle walks and a visit to the pub!! But not being too ambitious.

One of the things we don’t know about yet which may affect how quickly life gets some normality is the bladder control once catheter out…..how are you doing in that respect?

Debbie
User

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Its a shame you've had to find us mate, but I'm glad you have.

I had the same op a year ago.

I hope this link helps: 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/surgery

Best of luck and I hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery.

Adrian

Edited by member 31 Jan 2024 at 11:52  | Reason: Changed links

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I’m sure we will have a few gentle walks and a visit to the pub!! 
Debbie

Hi Debbie, great to hear from you. I was wondering how Steve was recovering. 

I was in the pub five days post op, filling the catheter. Doubt it's recommended, but it was a milestone I needed to reach asap. 😄

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:03

Hi Steve. 

Had my robotic surgery (here in Ireland they tend to use “RALP” two weeks ago and I have a slightly different experience so think it might be no harm for you to have some variety! I’m 61. Was in good health before and just stayed the one night. In hospital. Discharged with a catheter - came out after 7 days and only on paracetamol for initial discomfort which I no longer need. I have been up and about for at least part of each day since the catheter came out. I’m walking the dog as we speak (Sorry Suzy!). Building up stamina by walking a bit more each day. I will be fit for work by 12th with any luck. I certainly feel things going in the right direction. I’m not lifting and will take advice before but want to get back to the gym in time - no rush though - walk before run etc. feel I can drive soon but will take advice. It’s probably core development that might take a while to get into but I am walking a lot! Things can go well but everyone’s situation unique so my advice is listen to your body as well as the nurses but don’t overdo anything. 

hope that helps!

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 12:15
Just to add my 2c - RARP in May 23.

Keep moving around - get up at least every 20 minutes for a walk around the house.
Don't be tempted to lift anything more than a bottle of milk for a couple of weeks - a friend tried gardening and is now scheduled for a hernia repair in the primary wound area.
Keep the catheter tube and connector sterile - use antiseptic on a pad to clean it and never touch it with fingers.
Keep up the fluid intake (water) and empty the day bag when 2/3rds full.

The good news is that catheter removal is not painful but stock up on some TENA men pads and take a couple with you. I'd start with a #3.

Good luck and keep asking questions :)
User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 14:49

Steve , just to elaborate on the good advice on the catheter.

I have had around 12 trial without catheter and never failed. Mine usually took around three hours. I usually drank plenty of water before getting to the hospital, I find that if i am well hydrated before getting to the hospital the water they give me to drink at the TWOC passes through me far quicker. It is better to leak a bit than have a catheter put back in because you failed the TWOC. The removal is frequently described as weird, it should be pain free. If it gets stuck on the way out ask for a urologist to attend, my surgeon is convinced a swift removal after getting stuck caused my post op stricture issues.

As already said make sure you have some pads, the hospital will normally give you some, but as a work colleague used to say better to be looking at some than looking for some. I took a towel and cover for the car seat in case of a "major" leak but it never happened. I also had a urine bottle in the car in case of an emergency. The towel is useful if stuck in a traffic jam with a coachload of people at the side of you😀. You could take a spare pair of trousers and pants, again i never needed them. Elasticated waist trousers make it very easy to change the pad in a hurry. 

Once the catheter is removed remember to contract those pelvic muscles as you are  going from sitting to standing up, this is when lots of us experienced a leak.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 15:38

Hi all, 

thank you all for the advice, 

the catheter I’m used to it and doesn’t really bother me now, the first day or 2 felt odd, but all is good, the night bags are fine, was given a catheter holder to pin night bag onto so that helps,

that was one question was going to ask about when it’s removed, what pads etc but will stock up before next Friday, will drink plenty of fluids before hand, appointment is at 9am so early get up to start drinking,

With mobility il try a walk down to the coffee shop once catheter is out it’s only 1/4 mile away so not to far,

The operation I had was RALP not sure what the difference is between that and RARP tbh,

at the TWOC if I leak to much does that mean I fail it? Or they just looking to see I can go,

will certainly not lift anything heavy for awhile, my job requires plenty of lifting/manual work and only about a hour a day at computer so things will have to change before I go back,

I done some pelvic floor exercises before going in and will start back up once catheter out,

Steve. 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 16:14
Hi Steve.
I was about same as you had surgery 15 months ago, surgery Friday afternoon discharged the following day Saturday.
TWOC the following Friday, after they remove the catheter you will be asked to drink as much water as possible until you are ready to pee, then you will pee into a bucket which tests your flow rate & then a bladder scan to make sure you are emptying your bladder,when that’s all ok they will release you with a few pads even if you are leaking.
My hospital gave me 2 pads on the day of TWOC to go home with but I would take some with you just in case.

On the walking issue just take it easy for a few days, do as much as you feel comfortable with I started the first week with about a mile walk return gradually increasing over the next week.
I took my surgeons advice regarding getting back to running & waited the full 6 weeks before attempting but soon got back to my normal routine.
I was 68 at the time of surgery but like is said on numerous occasions on this ste everyone is different.

Best of luck Jeff.
User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 16:27

Pretty sure RALP=RARP both meaning robotic laparoscopic (keyhole) procedures

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 16:33

Steve, the idea of the TWOC is to make sure you can pass urine,you only fail if you can't pass any urine. I was told if you gulp your water down at the TWOC you may not urinate as effectively. Likewise my advice about being hydrated if you are dehydrated the water you drink rehydrates the body before any excess goes to the bladder. 

The letter in the ops don't quite match RARP is robot assisted radical prostatectomy,whereas the LP in RALP stands for laparoscopic prostatectomy.  My understanding is that radical means complete prostate removal whereas a prostatectomy can mean all or partial removal. 

Generally speaking in RARP the surgeon sits at a console and operates controls that send signals to the "robot" / motors , instruments etc. In laparoscopic surgery the surgeon holds and manipulates the instruments . I am sure someone will come along and explain in a better way.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 00:04  | Reason: Not specified