I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nerve sparing one side

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 15:32

I've been told that if I go ahead with a RP the likelihood is that nerves will only be spared on one side. What are the implications of that? Would brachytherapy then be a better option?

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:05

I’d get a punch in the face - she’s a Sean Bean fan! George annoys her….!!! Each to their own. I like the thought process though

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:29

Adrian

I hope you are not a sex therapist!

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:13

Can’t answer about whether Brachytherapy but bear in mind if you go down the HT/RT route, HT will probably mean you have zero libido, so the desire for sex will be a distant memory for the length of time you are on HT(up to 3 years) and then beyond until you get(if you ever do) your libido back. You’ll also likely suffer some level ED as well, but this seems to vary between men…as with ALL side effects of HT….and RT for that matter.

One things for sure…your sex life WILL never be quite the same, but you can still have fun…and if you experiment you’ll find a way. As Adrian says ‘Laugh or Cry’…..much better to laugh😂

Derek

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:19

Completely agree you have to laugh - there’s a lot worse things in life! Secretly I think my wife has probably thought her prayers have been answered as post menopause has affected her libido !!!! 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 15:54

Everyone is different and it all depends on age, relationship status etc. All I can comment is my experience. I had 50% nerve sparing last Easter nearly 10 months ago. I’m on Silendafil and use the pump every couple of days. I have limited or no natural errections. I do occasionally get stirrings at night but if I woke my wife to show her she would probably say is that it kick me where it hurts and roll over to go back to sleep!! It’s early days and I’m not getting too down hearted as for me the bonus is I’ve been treated and hopefully will have full recovery. That’s more important. Good luck with whatever decision you make. 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 17:02

Hi Derek

In my personal experience and following other men's experiences here and other forums, I think there  is a tendency on the part of urologists (and possibly oncologists) and their patients to be over optimistic about the erectile function following prostatectomy, even if the nerves are spared. Have a read of the following research paper to find out what we are all dealing with. My urologist, before performing nerve sparing RARP, warned me that he would do his best but don't expect to have erectile function as good as before surgery and he was right. That should not mean that you would have to live a sexless life; there are many ways to re-establish your sex life, should you find yourself suffering from ED following any treatment.

Men's Sexual and Relational Adaptations to Erectile Dysfunction After Prostate Cancer Treatmen

Richard J. Wassersug, Andrew Westle & Gary W. Dowsett

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19317611.2016.1204403

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 18:26  | Reason: Silly spelling errors!!

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 17:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I do occasionally get stirrings at night but if I woke my wife to show her she would probably say is that it kick me where it hurts and roll over to go back to sleep!! 

Treat yourself to one of these. It worked for me.

https://foxyprinting.co.uk/products/george-clooney-celebrity-face-mask-fancy-dress-cardboard-costume-mask?variant=44989729571067&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 17:58  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:05

I’d get a punch in the face - she’s a Sean Bean fan! George annoys her….!!! Each to their own. I like the thought process though

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:06

there are many waves to re-establish your sex life, 

Especially in a hot tub, I nearly drowned.

Joking apart, as Pratap says there are no guarantees that you'll ever get a natural erection again. I had non nerve sparing surgery and with the help of an Invicorp can get one. It's not as good as pre op but it's better than nowt.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 18:32  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:20

I’d get a punch in the face - she’s a Sean Bean fan!

😁👏

Get one of these then

https://celebrity-facemasks.com/products/sean-bean-long-hair-movie-face-mask.html?cmp_id=20492433556&adg_id=&kwd=&device=m&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn-2tBhDVARIsAGmStVlB0lQ_-111IecQgnLhUN8bmvfiXBxcuymyp9K01P8lX8Jf2I4nv5UaAtHvEALw_wcB

Make her a cup of Yorkshire tea and whisper in her ear "Ee ba gum". She'll not be able to keep her hands off you.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 18:27  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:29

Adrian

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:43

Adrian

🤣🤣🤣

I must apologise to Derek who posted the original question. I don't mean to make fun of his query, but as an ED sufferer myself, I find you either laugh or cry about it.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:13

Can’t answer about whether Brachytherapy but bear in mind if you go down the HT/RT route, HT will probably mean you have zero libido, so the desire for sex will be a distant memory for the length of time you are on HT(up to 3 years) and then beyond until you get(if you ever do) your libido back. You’ll also likely suffer some level ED as well, but this seems to vary between men…as with ALL side effects of HT….and RT for that matter.

One things for sure…your sex life WILL never be quite the same, but you can still have fun…and if you experiment you’ll find a way. As Adrian says ‘Laugh or Cry’…..much better to laugh😂

Derek

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:19

Completely agree you have to laugh - there’s a lot worse things in life! Secretly I think my wife has probably thought her prayers have been answered as post menopause has affected her libido !!!! 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 21:59

I've been told that if I go ahead with a RP the likelihood is that nerves will only be spared on one side. What are the implications of that? Would brachytherapy then be a better option?

There is very little difference in erectile function outcomes between men who have full nerve-sparing and men who have partial nerve-sparing. For both groups, there is a lot of luck involved. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 21:28

Hi

Full nerve sparring. Taken well over 12 months for my erections to get to perhaps 75% of what they were. I will take any improvement of course but I can't see them getting that much better. So to underline what Lyn says it's a not a done deal by any means.