I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post Operative Care

User
Posted 04 Feb 2024 at 14:24

On 29th January I had the HOLEP procedure to reduce the size of my enlarges prostrate

After six days it is still very painful to urinate and have the sensation of heavy burning

I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced a similar procedure 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:38

Charlie should have spent some time in the NHS where I had my procedure No 4 days in a private hospital for me NHS in need of desperate funding and staffing 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:23
Your initials aren't HRH by any chance?

:)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:17

I had a TURP a few years ago. Similar procedure to HOLEP, I. e. reduce prostate mass around the urethra, but using a cutting tool or wire loop instead of a laser. It took me two weeks to fully recover and pee without some pain. I believe HOLEP involves less blood loss but you are going to be raw inside for a while.hopefully not too long.

Peter

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:23
Your initials aren't HRH by any chance?

:)

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:32

Thanks for advice Peter

One week after op still in pain when urinating 

See how I go after another week

Painkillers don't seem to have any effect

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:37

A friend of mine had his prostate shaved and had similar symptoms for nearly a month, then it cleared up. Perhaps it might be an idea to contact your doctor to check that it isn't a post op infection.  

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:38

Charlie should have spent some time in the NHS where I had my procedure No 4 days in a private hospital for me NHS in need of desperate funding and staffing 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:40

Thanks for advice

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 09:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Apparently, even he had pre op side effects. He was overheard complaining about pains in the ar*e,  but it transpired he was refering to Harry and Meghan.

Joking apart, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Hopefully you'll not be with us for long.

I meant to ask, did the hospital give you any paper work when you were discharged, with possible side effects and who to contact?

Adrian

Edited by member 05 Feb 2024 at 10:13  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 10:14

My op took place in a NHS hospital 100 miles from my home They did discharge me with some paracetamol I do understand that they are post op side effects I came on the forum to ask what people had experienced especially with pain management and the urgent need to urinate I only had my op a week ago advice so far is to give it time 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 12:09

I had Brach HDR at Mount Vernon London the staff were superb and food was good Treatment went well but painful as I chose a general anisthetic. Home day 4 Then 3 day at home and the pains started ass to penis Pain killers did not touch it... so spoke to a Dr Friend who sugested  Etoricoxib 90mg Throug my GP who gave in an did a prescription for it.. job done one a day you dont need anything else apart from Instillagel to rub on said parts on the outside slept and one week later everything is almost back to normal. penis is still a little sore from the cathator inside but not like peeing glass. 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 12:52

Thank you for you advice regarding pain relief I had a general anesthetic stayed in hospital overnight and discharged the next day It was a week ago so feeling a little better pain not as severe but getting urgent need to P

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 13:31

Google 'Pain after HoLEP surgery'. I don't think you have much to worry about - except the pain. You have my sympathy; there was a time after my TURP when I was literally afraid to pee.

Peter

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 13:41

First couple of days had to lay down after P until pian subsided. At the moment need to be near a toilet all the time as urgent need to P