I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Preperation scan

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 16:29

Hi, after the past year of rising PSA after surgury in 2016 I had many scans and now I have been told I require 5 weeks of Radio and before this a hormone injection.

I have been put on a diet 5 days before the scan pre radio to decrease gas in body and tablets to do this as well. The night before the scan they gave me an emema to take at 19.00 for the scan at 11.30 the next day.

I have been told to drink plenty of water but was not told if I could have alight breakfast on day? I have read online its best not to have an empty stomach but then why do I have the enema to take?

P.S I live in Spain so it may differ from UK.

Edited by member 05 Feb 2024 at 16:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 17:46
It can differ from hospital to hospital in the UK yet alone Country to Country. I had my RT in Germany and didn't have an enema at any time. Great care was taken prior to having the RT though which was preceded by an MRI and 5 CT scans as having a Carbon Ion boost to the EBRT which meant a heavier dose than would be given in the UK. There was also a CT scan betweeen some of the RT fractions. The worst side effect for me was tirednesss, no doubt exacerbated by having to get up 8 times a night to have a pee at the worst point. This gradually reduced until after a couple of months post RT, I was back to my prior treatment of once nightly. Perhaps it was helped by not having HT post RT.

Another example of the different protocols Hospitals can use is the way they view endorectal MRI scans. The Royal Marsden gave me one but UCLH told me they did not consider them beneficial so repeated the MRI without the coil up bum, so a difference between two of our best cancer hospitals in the UK.
Barry
User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 17:47

Obviously things are very different in Spain, as I was told just to eat a normal diet during RT. The reasoning is that they don’t want to upset you digestion when going through the RT. Normally over here we have to use an enema a short period before each session and then drink a certain amount of water before waiting 30 mins.

All the best with your treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 18:20

For me it was the same preparation for both the planning scan AND the RT itself. In fact it’s probably quite important that they are the same.
Best to avoid spicy curries and broccoli!

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 14:29

From the RT, not many side effects really,  a little urgency and loss of control of my bowels and bladder for a short period after finishing. No other side effects to date(9 months since finishing RT), many people get fatigue. Also I should say that some side effects can hit you later on…some people say they’ve had blood in their poo.

HT on the other hand, you name it, I’ve had it…except fatigue….
hot flushes, joint ache, anxiety, insomnia, brain fog, zero libido, Peyronie’s disease, partial ED. I’ve managed to find solutions to all of them except the insomnia and joint ache….I’m still working on these.

Derek

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 19:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Sounds like you've had a rough journey . Terrible disease. 

It’s not the disease that’s given me the problems, I didn’t really have any symptoms after from peeing more often at night. It’s the HT which I’m on for 3 years, hence I’m trying my hardest to find solutions to combat the side effects. But many men don’t get side effects or they are mild, no idea why and that bothers me…I need to know 🤷🏼‍♂️

apart from these side effects my journey has not been too rough, the Onco is very happy with my progress and I carry on much as usual, live every day as if it were my last and have lots of fun. It’s changed me for the better in many ways..that may sound weird but it’s true. Maggies has been such a support to me and I’ve made so many good friends there and also through PCUK.

So, it’s not all bad this journey, and keeping a positive attitude is VERY important when going through it.

All the best,

Derek

Edited by member 07 Feb 2024 at 19:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 20:26

Ok, I will try and bare my sole😊

I’ve listed them as follows: side effect….severity….how soon….solution(if any)

Anxiety….severe…..immediately…….Sertraline, joining Maggies Support Group, exercise, treating myself
Hot Flushes….severe at first but lessened through time…..after about a month…..pocket fan, vitamin E seemed to help, no idea why
Joint ache….mild at first but getting steadily worse, now affecting QOL….after about 8 months…..haven’t found a solution….YET!
Brain Fog….mild, just forgetfulness ……after about a year…..just have to live with it
peyronies disease…..moderate, kink at base…..after about a year….private consultation leading to prescription for vacuum pump and tidalafil.
Libido…zero desire….within a couple of months…..experimentation and foreplay to get excited
ED…..partial….after a couple of months…..daily tidalafil and vacum pump. male masturbator also helps reach orgasm
Insomnia…..moderate, but comes and goes…..after about a year…..bedside fan to keep cool and a couple of paracetamol 

I hope some of this may help but PLEASE REMEMBER…everyone is different and some men have few if any side effects. 
Despite all this I’m still here, having fun and getting on with my life💪💪💪

Derek.

Edited by member 16 Feb 2024 at 06:38  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 17:47

Obviously things are very different in Spain, as I was told just to eat a normal diet during RT. The reasoning is that they don’t want to upset you digestion when going through the RT. Normally over here we have to use an enema a short period before each session and then drink a certain amount of water before waiting 30 mins.

Derek

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 18:13

Derek

Thanks. Its just the pre scan I need to find out about. Only having enema before scan not radio so different here. On info sheet it says nothing about no food before scan just cut out certain foods for 5 days before scan and radio. 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2024 at 18:20

For me it was the same preparation for both the planning scan AND the RT itself. In fact it’s probably quite important that they are the same.
Best to avoid spicy curries and broccoli!

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 13:20
Can I ask what side effects you suffer/ed?
User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 14:29

From the RT, not many side effects really,  a little urgency and loss of control of my bowels and bladder for a short period after finishing. No other side effects to date(9 months since finishing RT), many people get fatigue. Also I should say that some side effects can hit you later on…some people say they’ve had blood in their poo.

hot flushes, joint ache, anxiety, insomnia, brain fog, zero libido, Peyronie’s disease, partial ED. I’ve managed to find solutions to all of them except the insomnia and joint ache….I’m still working on these.

Derek

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 17:46
It can differ from hospital to hospital in the UK yet alone Country to Country. I had my RT in Germany and didn't have an enema at any time. Great care was taken prior to having the RT though which was preceded by an MRI and 5 CT scans as having a Carbon Ion boost to the EBRT which meant a heavier dose than would be given in the UK. There was also a CT scan betweeen some of the RT fractions. The worst side effect for me was tirednesss, no doubt exacerbated by having to get up 8 times a night to have a pee at the worst point. This gradually reduced until after a couple of months post RT, I was back to my prior treatment of once nightly. Perhaps it was helped by not having HT post RT.

Another example of the different protocols Hospitals can use is the way they view endorectal MRI scans. The Royal Marsden gave me one but UCLH told me they did not consider them beneficial so repeated the MRI without the coil up bum, so a difference between two of our best cancer hospitals in the UK.
Barry
User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 17:50

Derek

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 19:38

It’s not the disease that’s given me the problems, I didn’t really have any symptoms after from peeing more often at night. It’s the HT which I’m on for 3 years, hence I’m trying my hardest to find solutions to combat the side effects. But many men don’t get side effects or they are mild, no idea why and that bothers me…I need to know 🤷🏼‍♂️

apart from these side effects my journey has not been too rough, the Onco is very happy with my progress and I carry on much as usual, live every day as if it were my last and have lots of fun. It’s changed me for the better in many ways..that may sound weird but it’s true. Maggies has been such a support to me and I’ve made so many good friends there and also through PCUK.

So, it’s not all bad this journey, and keeping a positive attitude is VERY important when going through it.

All the best,

Derek

Edited by member 07 Feb 2024 at 19:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 18:10

Derek

How long into the Hormone treatment did side effects kick in? Also what solutions did to find to help?

Cheers 

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 20:26

Ok, I will try and bare my sole😊

I’ve listed them as follows: side effect….severity….how soon….solution(if any)

Anxiety….severe…..immediately…….Sertraline, joining Maggies Support Group, exercise, treating myself
Hot Flushes….severe at first but lessened through time…..after about a month…..pocket fan, vitamin E seemed to help, no idea why
Joint ache….mild at first but getting steadily worse, now affecting QOL….after about 8 months…..haven’t found a solution….YET!
Brain Fog….mild, just forgetfulness ……after about a year…..just have to live with it
peyronies disease…..moderate, kink at base…..after about a year….private consultation leading to prescription for vacuum pump and tidalafil.
Libido…zero desire….within a couple of months…..experimentation and foreplay to get excited
ED…..partial….after a couple of months…..daily tidalafil and vacum pump. male masturbator also helps reach orgasm
Insomnia…..moderate, but comes and goes…..after about a year…..bedside fan to keep cool and a couple of paracetamol 

I hope some of this may help but PLEASE REMEMBER…everyone is different and some men have few if any side effects. 
Despite all this I’m still here, having fun and getting on with my life💪💪💪

Derek.

Edited by member 16 Feb 2024 at 06:38  | Reason: Not specified