Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

NICE guidance on lutetium 177

User
Posted 06 Feb 2024 at 21:14

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta930

Has anyone else noted the latest guidance?

It appears this treatment has been removed from the NHS!  Have a read of the full report, it's interesting.

To my reading it acknowledges that it works, is better for quality of life, but there are few results for comparison with other treatments, as it has tended to be used at end of life and consequently there are often lots of withdraws from trials.

To my mind this review is very much concerned with cost and how long very sick people might live, with little credit given to time provided with a good quality of life. It even mentions some benefits of early treatment.

Am I wrong?

There goes my children's inheritance if I want to try this treatment when the apalutamide eventually fails! 😂

Nb latest PSA still undetectable,on apalutamide for 21 months! 🥳🥳🥳

User
Posted 06 Feb 2024 at 21:14

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta930

Has anyone else noted the latest guidance?

It appears this treatment has been removed from the NHS!  Have a read of the full report, it's interesting.

To my reading it acknowledges that it works, is better for quality of life, but there are few results for comparison with other treatments, as it has tended to be used at end of life and consequently there are often lots of withdraws from trials.

To my mind this review is very much concerned with cost and how long very sick people might live, with little credit given to time provided with a good quality of life. It even mentions some benefits of early treatment.

Am I wrong?

There goes my children's inheritance if I want to try this treatment when the apalutamide eventually fails! 😂

Nb latest PSA still undetectable,on apalutamide for 21 months! 🥳🥳🥳

User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 00:10
I think cost is a factor - 4 treatments at £20,000 per treatment plus the cost of the PSMA scan & radiotherapy sessions is a lot of money for an average of 3 months extended life. But from what I can see of the report, the committee were also pointing out that the company had not provided sufficient data for some aspects of the approval. That happened with enzalutimide in the early days and the manufacturer just had to apply again after some more trials to get better evidence.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Feb 2024 at 00:10
I think cost is a factor - 4 treatments at £20,000 per treatment plus the cost of the PSMA scan & radiotherapy sessions is a lot of money for an average of 3 months extended life. But from what I can see of the report, the committee were also pointing out that the company had not provided sufficient data for some aspects of the approval. That happened with enzalutimide in the early days and the manufacturer just had to apply again after some more trials to get better evidence.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard