I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Follow up scans

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 10:18

Hi..I havent posted in a while but really appreciate this site. 

My question is should my husband be having yearly or bi annual scans  post treatment?? As reading other posts on this site suggests otherwise.  Our Oncology  consultant just stated psa check 3 monthly and hopefully increase to 6 monthly if psa levels continue to remain low. Didn't seem to suggest scans as a standard follow up. 

My husband is presently 1 year post radiotherapy for advanced prostate cancer  Gleason 4+5 and 14 months post Doxetaxel chemotheraphy. He is on life long Hormone injections 12 weekly. His present PSA is 0.13 of Jan.24. I   His original was 48 on diagnosis in February 2022. He had pelvic node and para-aortic lymph node involvement, seminal vessel and a single metastasis  on left iliac crest at the time of diagnosis. We were advised pre radiotheraphy treatment that he had a very good response to chemotheraphy re lymph node involvement.   He has been keeping  very well to date and is very active with his daily life. Would appreciate any advice on this. Regards Ann

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 10:18

Hi..I havent posted in a while but really appreciate this site. 

My question is should my husband be having yearly or bi annual scans  post treatment?? As reading other posts on this site suggests otherwise.  Our Oncology  consultant just stated psa check 3 monthly and hopefully increase to 6 monthly if psa levels continue to remain low. Didn't seem to suggest scans as a standard follow up. 

My husband is presently 1 year post radiotherapy for advanced prostate cancer  Gleason 4+5 and 14 months post Doxetaxel chemotheraphy. He is on life long Hormone injections 12 weekly. His present PSA is 0.13 of Jan.24. I   His original was 48 on diagnosis in February 2022. He had pelvic node and para-aortic lymph node involvement, seminal vessel and a single metastasis  on left iliac crest at the time of diagnosis. We were advised pre radiotheraphy treatment that he had a very good response to chemotheraphy re lymph node involvement.   He has been keeping  very well to date and is very active with his daily life. Would appreciate any advice on this. Regards Ann

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 14:03

Hi Ann,

as above, a follow-up scan would only usually be done if your husband starts to get pain or other symptoms which would indicate a progression.

Using my own case as an example, I had several mets on my bones at diagnosis back in 2019.  After chemo (Docetaxel) and radiotherapy in 2019, my follow-up for the next 3 years was based purely on PSA readings at my 3-monthly meetings with my consultant.  I had no symptoms, no pain and PSA was under control, so no scans.

However, in January 2023 I started getting acute sciatic pain flares.  I was quickly booked in for MRI and CT scans, which showed a met on my spine had grown and was interfering with the sciatic nerve root.  I had a couple of sessions of RT which sorted it temporarily, with further sessions being planned.

It's good that your husband is feeling well and keeping active, long may that continue.  If my experience is anything to go by, if his situation changes then scans and follow-up treatments will get done very quickly.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 20:43

Hi Ann. My personal experience is with prostatectomy and SRT so I can't offer much experience for your husband's treatment. This will at least bump your post up to the top of the pile so that someone can give you a better answer. His PSA readings look very good which indicates the treatment is currently working well. So the Onco possibly takes the view that there is no reason for a further scan. I'm not sure what it would tell you that the PSA is not already telling you.

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 21:17
Hi Anne,

no is the short answer - they wouldn't usually scan him again unless his PSA started to rise significantly and he was showing symptoms that suggested new mets.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 13:24

Hi ChrisBromsgrove..thank you for replying and appreciate your input. Yes I also agree with what you are saying but sometimes you mind wonders when you read other posts. Wish you well for the future

Ann

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 14:03

Hi Ann,

as above, a follow-up scan would only usually be done if your husband starts to get pain or other symptoms which would indicate a progression.

Using my own case as an example, I had several mets on my bones at diagnosis back in 2019.  After chemo (Docetaxel) and radiotherapy in 2019, my follow-up for the next 3 years was based purely on PSA readings at my 3-monthly meetings with my consultant.  I had no symptoms, no pain and PSA was under control, so no scans.

However, in January 2023 I started getting acute sciatic pain flares.  I was quickly booked in for MRI and CT scans, which showed a met on my spine had grown and was interfering with the sciatic nerve root.  I had a couple of sessions of RT which sorted it temporarily, with further sessions being planned.

It's good that your husband is feeling well and keeping active, long may that continue.  If my experience is anything to go by, if his situation changes then scans and follow-up treatments will get done very quickly.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 13:40

Hello Ann,

My PSA went over 2 and my oncologist wanted me to have CT scan and nuclear bone scan this year - both clear thankfully.

I think some oncologists vary on the numbers.