Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Too late for Tamoxifen?

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 17:26

Hello All!

It's now 10 months since my hormone treatment and radiotherapy ended and, so far, so good.

However, I started a diet about 2 months ago and, although I have lost a stone in weight, the breast enlargement (which I had been aware of before) is now more noticeable.

I have 3 questions.  The first is whether to approach my GP about this or wait for my next oncologist follow-up in about 6 weeks?  Next, presumably the offer of any treatment would depend on the extent of the enlargement?  Finally, given the passage of time, might I expect Tamoxifen to be an option or would it only be surgery?

I'd welcome any thoughts.

Cheers.

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 19:31
The only treatment now would be surgery. You would need to be able to demonstrate to your GP and then a surgeon and, via them, your NHS Trust that the breasts have left you with deep psychological harm :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 17:26

Hello All!

It's now 10 months since my hormone treatment and radiotherapy ended and, so far, so good.

However, I started a diet about 2 months ago and, although I have lost a stone in weight, the breast enlargement (which I had been aware of before) is now more noticeable.

I have 3 questions.  The first is whether to approach my GP about this or wait for my next oncologist follow-up in about 6 weeks?  Next, presumably the offer of any treatment would depend on the extent of the enlargement?  Finally, given the passage of time, might I expect Tamoxifen to be an option or would it only be surgery?

I'd welcome any thoughts.

Cheers.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 23:53

Tamoxifen probably wouldn't do anything for breasts now (and only works on breast glands anyway, not breast fat). It tends to only work for recent growth and not anything a year or older.

Also, a man taking Tamoxifen when not on hormone therapy will boost your Testosterone which would need monitoring.

Edited by member 09 Feb 2024 at 23:56  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 19:31
The only treatment now would be surgery. You would need to be able to demonstrate to your GP and then a surgeon and, via them, your NHS Trust that the breasts have left you with deep psychological harm :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 22:22

Thank you.  I'll keep going with my diet (only halfway there) and try some upper body exercises.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 23:53

Tamoxifen probably wouldn't do anything for breasts now (and only works on breast glands anyway, not breast fat). It tends to only work for recent growth and not anything a year or older.

Also, a man taking Tamoxifen when not on hormone therapy will boost your Testosterone which would need monitoring.

Edited by member 09 Feb 2024 at 23:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 11:34

Thank you!