Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel to and from radiotherapy

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 21:31

Hi, newbie here

Am looking at 20 days RT on back of 3 months HT. Any tips please on how to prepare for a 30 to 40 minute car journey each way and what to take with me?

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 02:15

For a short trip back from a hospital I'm sure it will be fine, but here is some wisdom I have picked up just in case.

(apple, orange, tropical) innocent smoothy1.35 litre. Buy one of the aforementioned drinks , leave the empty bottle in the car.  Buy large Ordnance Survey map (it makes no difference which area, but a local one will stand up better in a magistrates court). The map is not for navigation it is a cover story. Open it across your lap and 'look for directions, your honour' what happens underneath the map is between you, the bottle, and your penis, and nobody else. Never empty the bottle where CCTV is available, that is still technically 'urinating in a public place'.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 21:50

You will be fine I had 37 days off radiotherapy went straight to work after each session never missed a day all through treatment 👍gaz

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 05:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The map is not for navigation it is a cover story. Open it across your lap and 'look for directions, your honour' what happens underneath the map is between you, the bottle, and your penis, and nobody else. .

Love it,  but dont try it on the move. It would be messy and you could get done for driving without due care and attention🙂

Edited by member 09 Feb 2024 at 07:37  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 08:06

The map is not for navigation it is a cover story. Open it across your lap and 'look for directions, your honour' what happens underneath the map is between you, the bottle, and your penis, and nobody else. .

Love it,  but dont try it on the move. It would be messy and you could get done for driving without due care and attention🙂

I just took a towel and proper urine bottle in a carrier bag,the bag is useful to protect the seat or if necessary put your wet underwear in, the towel to cover your modesty similar to the map and the bottle for an emergency, fortunately I never had a need for any. I Will say I find it almost impossible to urinate into a bottle sat in a car seat.

We have CCTV at home , when reporting issues to the police they asked "could you see her vagina".

When at the hospital, find the nearest toilet to the treatment room and find an alternative in case the nearest one is occupied.

I could have driven the 30 minute journey myself but it was less stressful if the wife drove, on a few occasions the wife had to drop me off then hunt for a parking space.

Hope all goes well 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 09:56

No, 😀.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 17:01

ColwickChris has summed it up very nicely I think. I would certainly take something to protect the seat which you can shove under you if you’re desperate and can’t wait until you stop. I think it’s worth investing in a proper urine bottle, they’re easier to use than a makeshift one and don’t cost much on Amazon. Mines stayed in the car ever since, even though I don’t need it it helps to know it’s there should I ever be caught short😊

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 21:50

You will be fine I had 37 days off radiotherapy went straight to work after each session never missed a day all through treatment 👍gaz

User
Posted 08 Feb 2024 at 22:25

Hi, 

It's only a 30-40 minute journey but it's worth looking for potential toilet stops on your way back, particularly towards the end of your treatment. A supermarket, services, or a pub in case you get caught short.

Kev.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 02:09
I kept a plastic bottle with screw down lid in car for some considerable time but prior to that got a Conveen System for long journeys.when urgency was still a problem post RT. (I had a 2 hour and a half coach journey to make several times without a toilet or stops. On the first occasion I got the driver to stop on an autobahn before I got kitted up with the Conveen system.)
Barry
User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 02:15

For a short trip back from a hospital I'm sure it will be fine, but here is some wisdom I have picked up just in case.

(apple, orange, tropical) innocent smoothy1.35 litre. Buy one of the aforementioned drinks , leave the empty bottle in the car.  Buy large Ordnance Survey map (it makes no difference which area, but a local one will stand up better in a magistrates court). The map is not for navigation it is a cover story. Open it across your lap and 'look for directions, your honour' what happens underneath the map is between you, the bottle, and your penis, and nobody else. Never empty the bottle where CCTV is available, that is still technically 'urinating in a public place'.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 02:19

My radiotherapy centre was a 15 minute drive from home.  I struggled some days to get home without wetting myself.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 05:38

Edited by member 09 Feb 2024 at 07:37  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 08:06

I just took a towel and proper urine bottle in a carrier bag,the bag is useful to protect the seat or if necessary put your wet underwear in, the towel to cover your modesty similar to the map and the bottle for an emergency, fortunately I never had a need for any. I Will say I find it almost impossible to urinate into a bottle sat in a car seat.

We have CCTV at home , when reporting issues to the police they asked "could you see her vagina".

When at the hospital, find the nearest toilet to the treatment room and find an alternative in case the nearest one is occupied.

I could have driven the 30 minute journey myself but it was less stressful if the wife drove, on a few occasions the wife had to drop me off then hunt for a parking space.

Hope all goes well 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 08:53

Do you overlook a dogging site? 😁

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 09:56

No, 😀.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 17:01

ColwickChris has summed it up very nicely I think. I would certainly take something to protect the seat which you can shove under you if you’re desperate and can’t wait until you stop. I think it’s worth investing in a proper urine bottle, they’re easier to use than a makeshift one and don’t cost much on Amazon. Mines stayed in the car ever since, even though I don’t need it it helps to know it’s there should I ever be caught short😊

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 18:49
Yes, just as others say, a(n) urine bottle is a must really and I would agree that a 'proper' urine bottle is far better. I still keep my urine bottle in car now with towel/wipes etc tho not needed them for a long time. I am fortunate that I live 2 junctions away from Clatterbridge Hospital where I had my treatment so a very short drive for me.I
Peter
User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 13:37

You will be asked to drink water before the RT, I think they said drink it about 30-40 minutes before the RT.

I brought a bottle from home as the water was too cold at the hospital.

Hope the treatment goes well.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2024 at 17:57

I stayed at the hospital for 30-60 mins after the RT chatting to the other patients - the whole thing was quite a social event, which I really missed after it finished. This gave time for all the water to be peed out before setting off home. I did have one of the empty Innocent Smoothie bottles (which I notice no longer have such a wide opening), but never needed to use it.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 22:44

Hi,

Yes, you should be fine. I’m now on session 17 of 20 and have a journey time of between one hour and a hour and a half. The wife drives which can be quite stressful (she drives different to me eg in situations where I would brake she accelerates 😅). I was a bit worried to start with but it isn’t really a problem. Just follow the instructions, a bottle of water isn’t actually that much, just have a pee straight after the radiation and you’ll get home ok.

The biggest worry I had one day was when I had to travel in for a 7:30am start after I’d been up all night with radiotherapy induced trots (I’ve had these twice now, they are not pleasant 🤢). Thankfully, we made it without any drama but it was a bit of a nightmare. I’ve definitely got a side effect impact on the bowels currently stopping me going for long walks.

I’m sure you will be fine, remember to take a book with you - good luck.

Spongebob

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 01:04

The wife drives which can be quite stressful (she drives different to me eg in situations where I would brake she accelerates 😅)

A woman after my own heart!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard