Show search

Notification

Error

A -dream

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 10:17
User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 14:02

I’m still on a curative path with another 18months to go on HT. However if I were to end up on HT for life (as I was told I would be) if it didn’t cure it, or if it came back, the idea of intermittent treatment sounds very attractive and in fact my Onco mentioned that it could be intermittent. I do however have some reservations

1. it normally takes some time before your testosterone levels get back to anything like they were…how would I feel if I was just starting to feel more like a man again only to be told my holiday had ended because my PSA was rising.

2. I wonder if through time your body adapts more to ADT.

What I would REALLY like to see is some research into why SOME men suffer bad side effects, yet others seem to get off lightly. The one that affects my QOL the worst is Joint ache/stiffness which I’m still trying to find at least a partial solution to.

Derek

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 14:27

Yes, that would be interesting, perhaps there is some genetic predisposition to the side effects of HT.

In my case , I seem to have been hit by the whole list to some degree or another…but the only one that I would say has made a significant impact on my QOL has been ED and lack of libido , everything else has been manageable.

I agree, it would be very hard (no pun intended!) to go back after a holiday…when you are first diagnosed you have the slight hope that you might not get all of the side effects, all of the literature tells you “there is a chance of these side effects….” the second time around, you would know exactly what was coming…

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 12:57
Thanks for the link Dermot. in fact, intermittent HT (or hormone holidays) is not new and we have had many members here over the years who have used it with great effect. Have a look at the profiles of men like TopGun who survived for 14 years, I think, and Si_Ness who survived for much longer than expected despite the most awful diagnosis, using a mixture of IHT and chemo
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 13:27

Thanks Lyn, I just thought I would share it as it gave me a bit of a boost this morning, to know that there is serious research going on into this…i don’t know if I would personally dare to do it at the moment, but the thought of regaining my libido is an extremely strong incentive! 
Day of two halfs…after reading that I went to collect my Viradol prescription only to be told there is a supply issue and it won’t be available until June, eeek! down to my last 3 injections, plus one we mixed but didn’t use a few weeks ago…wonder if that will still be usable 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 14:02

I’m still on a curative path with another 18months to go on HT. However if I were to end up on HT for life (as I was told I would be) if it didn’t cure it, or if it came back, the idea of intermittent treatment sounds very attractive and in fact my Onco mentioned that it could be intermittent. I do however have some reservations

1. it normally takes some time before your testosterone levels get back to anything like they were…how would I feel if I was just starting to feel more like a man again only to be told my holiday had ended because my PSA was rising.

2. I wonder if through time your body adapts more to ADT.

What I would REALLY like to see is some research into why SOME men suffer bad side effects, yet others seem to get off lightly. The one that affects my QOL the worst is Joint ache/stiffness which I’m still trying to find at least a partial solution to.

Derek

User
Posted 09 Feb 2024 at 14:27

Yes, that would be interesting, perhaps there is some genetic predisposition to the side effects of HT.

In my case , I seem to have been hit by the whole list to some degree or another…but the only one that I would say has made a significant impact on my QOL has been ED and lack of libido , everything else has been manageable.

I agree, it would be very hard (no pun intended!) to go back after a holiday…when you are first diagnosed you have the slight hope that you might not get all of the side effects, all of the literature tells you “there is a chance of these side effects….” the second time around, you would know exactly what was coming…