Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Aching

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 11:43

Hi guys,

I am 61 and was diagnosed with localised PC September 2023. I am currently taking monthly injections of Zoladex and am waiting for radiotherapy treatment. I have my pre RT scan 2nd April to pinpoint the area.

My question relates to aching/stiffness across my shoulders, lower trunk and knees. Also, waking up in the early hours and unable to get back to sleep.

Is there anything I could take/do to ease these symptoms.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 11:43

Hi guys,

I am 61 and was diagnosed with localised PC September 2023. I am currently taking monthly injections of Zoladex and am waiting for radiotherapy treatment. I have my pre RT scan 2nd April to pinpoint the area.

My question relates to aching/stiffness across my shoulders, lower trunk and knees. Also, waking up in the early hours and unable to get back to sleep.

Is there anything I could take/do to ease these symptoms.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 13:57
It may seem counterintuitive but many have found that exercising as much as you are able to helps. I played short tennis and or went on long walks before and during RT while I was on Zoladex for 8 months, although I did have to sit out for more games. I was therefore quite tired and slept well at night prior to the RT. Whilst having RT I found I was getting up increasingly at night and tended to nod off during the day but still walked regularly, albeit at slower pace, until I reached my objective distance. Premature fatigue and urgency and frequency were the most bothersome side effects for me but others experience additional or different side effects. A couple of months or so after RT my urgency to pee reduced to pre RT figure of once a night where it has remained to this day.
Barry
User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 17:14

Hi London1962,

I know what you’re going through and feel for you. Exercise is important and I agree with Lyn that swimming might help. It hasn’t for me however, I went swimming on Friday and was aching the next day. I’m going to try swimming more often to see if it helps. My whole life(I’m retired😊) revolves around exercising and trying to find something that helps. I walk, cycle, swim and go to the gym but it hasn’t made one hoot of a difference. However if I don’t exercise, it’s even worse. I’ve tried Yoga…not for me but I’m going to try Pilates next. In the mornings my whole lower body, hips, knees and ankles are so stiff and aching, I hobble about. It improves during the day, I’m just in from doing 33 miles on my ebike….no problem, but getting my leg over(in more ways than one😉) is another matter.

For the last week I’ve been using my Tens/EMS machine every night for an hour. I though it maybe was making a difference, but yesterday did 13k+ steps and this morning I was really bad.

Im taking various supplements but they don’t seem to help. I’m going to fry ‘Devils Claw’ to see if that helps.

I am firmly of the opinion that there is not enough support for those of us going through this. Some men don’t have any serious side effects except for the obvious such as zero libido, but many others like you and me seem to have side effects which can seriously affect their QOL.

Good luck in finding a solution and if you find one PLEASE let us know.

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 13:57
It may seem counterintuitive but many have found that exercising as much as you are able to helps. I played short tennis and or went on long walks before and during RT while I was on Zoladex for 8 months, although I did have to sit out for more games. I was therefore quite tired and slept well at night prior to the RT. Whilst having RT I found I was getting up increasingly at night and tended to nod off during the day but still walked regularly, albeit at slower pace, until I reached my objective distance. Premature fatigue and urgency and frequency were the most bothersome side effects for me but others experience additional or different side effects. A couple of months or so after RT my urgency to pee reduced to pre RT figure of once a night where it has remained to this day.
Barry
User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 15:14
PCUK did some research pre-Covid and found that swimming helps enormously
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 17:14

Hi London1962,

I know what you’re going through and feel for you. Exercise is important and I agree with Lyn that swimming might help. It hasn’t for me however, I went swimming on Friday and was aching the next day. I’m going to try swimming more often to see if it helps. My whole life(I’m retired😊) revolves around exercising and trying to find something that helps. I walk, cycle, swim and go to the gym but it hasn’t made one hoot of a difference. However if I don’t exercise, it’s even worse. I’ve tried Yoga…not for me but I’m going to try Pilates next. In the mornings my whole lower body, hips, knees and ankles are so stiff and aching, I hobble about. It improves during the day, I’m just in from doing 33 miles on my ebike….no problem, but getting my leg over(in more ways than one😉) is another matter.

For the last week I’ve been using my Tens/EMS machine every night for an hour. I though it maybe was making a difference, but yesterday did 13k+ steps and this morning I was really bad.

Im taking various supplements but they don’t seem to help. I’m going to fry ‘Devils Claw’ to see if that helps.

I am firmly of the opinion that there is not enough support for those of us going through this. Some men don’t have any serious side effects except for the obvious such as zero libido, but many others like you and me seem to have side effects which can seriously affect their QOL.

Good luck in finding a solution and if you find one PLEASE let us know.

Derek

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 17:33

Oh and Insomnia is another side effect which also afflicts me. I seem to go through spells when it’s worse than other times.