I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A Year since RT finished

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 07:33

12 months on from RT with a PSA of 12 on diagnoses G9 (4+5) T2 M0 N0 to my latest PSA of 0.07 which I will take and 2 years of HT finishing Oct. I still have a prostate and first PSA after treatment was 0.29 so it’s dropped further. This maybe the lowest it will go but I fight on. 

Andy

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 00:57

Us RT guys don't need to be chasing after the < 'undetectable' symbol. If you have had a prostatectomy it is desirable to be undetectable, but irrelevant for RT patients. RT only kills the cancerous cells, we are left with a full complement of healthy (well perhaps a little cooked) prostate cells after RT and they will be producing PSA. Remember that prior to a cancer diagnosis <2.9 is considered normal, so expecting to get near zero when you still have a prostate is a pointless target.

Andy, my hospital only tests to 0.1 so at my hospital your 0.07 would be reported as <0.1 .

Dave

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 07:33

12 months on from RT with a PSA of 12 on diagnoses G9 (4+5) T2 M0 N0 to my latest PSA of 0.07 which I will take and 2 years of HT finishing Oct. I still have a prostate and first PSA after treatment was 0.29 so it’s dropped further. This maybe the lowest it will go but I fight on. 

Andy

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 10:23

Great news Andy, really good result and lucky you only being on 2 years HT, I’m on 3😟 unless I can persuade my Onco that I don’t need it any more🙏🙏🙏

Your results are quite similar to mine although my starting point was 36!  0.3 after RT and now dropped to 0.1 which everyone seems very happy with. I’m hoping I might get the magical ‘<‘ symbol at some point. I guess the anxiety will kick in for us both when the HT finishes and the testosterone comes back(hopefully🤞) …the thought of being on this poison for life is scary😱😱
In the meantime just getting on with living each day having as much fun as the treatment allows me to.

Derek

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 11:58

Hi Andy,

Great result mate. I had RARP a year ago. I was also Gleason 9 (4+5), I had a slightly higher staging than you T3a. I'm 7 years older but my PSA was lower at 6.6. I know its not a scientific comparison but our cases are fairly similar. After a year, my PSA is undetectable. Have you any side effects? As regards ED, I'm as dead as a Dodo down below, but can get an erection with Invicorp jabs and touch wood I have no incontinence issues?

Edited by member 13 Feb 2024 at 12:00  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 13:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Great news Andy, really good result and lucky you only being on 2 years HT, I’m on 3😟 unless I can persuade my Onco that I don’t need it any more🙏🙏🙏

Your results are quite similar to mine although my starting point was 36!  0.3 after RT and now dropped to 0.1 which everyone seems very happy with. I’m hoping I might get the magical ‘<‘ symbol at some point. I guess the anxiety will kick in for us both when the HT finishes and the testosterone comes back(hopefully🤞) …the thought of being on this poison for life is scary😱😱
In the meantime just getting on with living each day having as much fun as the treatment allows me to.

Derek

Hi Derek

Hope mine drops further to the < but was told by the onco that some people may never get to that and that’s their level. I am expecting a rise once HT out of system. It’s all been done with a curative intent so I clung onto that hope. Like you I am trying to get on with life but the anxiety around PSA time takes over. Thanks for the reply. 

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 13:22

Hi Andy,

Great result mate. I had RARP a year ago. I was also Gleason 9 (4+5), I had a slightly higher staging than you T3a. I'm 7 years older but my PSA was lower at 6.6. I know its not a scientific comparison but our cases are fairly similar. After a year, my PSA is undetectable. Have you any side effects? As regards ED, I'm as dead as a Dodo down below, but can get an erection with Invicorp jabs and touch wood I have no incontinence issues?

Hi Adrian

I hope to get to undetectable 🤞 tbh only main side effect for me has been stiff knees through the GT. Usual HT side effects…libido, some weight gain around the mid rift n some occasional hot flushes. From the RT I have had some radiation procitis which appears to be settling down. Upto now I have got out of the other side effects such as tiredness and am still very active albeit with stiff knees. Keep the faith bud. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 10:23

Derek

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 11:58

Hi Andy,

Edited by member 13 Feb 2024 at 12:00  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 13:15

Derek

Hi Derek

Hope mine drops further to the < but was told by the onco that some people may never get to that and that’s their level. I am expecting a rise once HT out of system. It’s all been done with a curative intent so I clung onto that hope. Like you I am trying to get on with life but the anxiety around PSA time takes over. Thanks for the reply. 

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 13:22

Hi Andy,

Hi Adrian

I hope to get to undetectable 🤞 tbh only main side effect for me has been stiff knees through the GT. Usual HT side effects…libido, some weight gain around the mid rift n some occasional hot flushes. From the RT I have had some radiation procitis which appears to be settling down. Upto now I have got out of the other side effects such as tiredness and am still very active albeit with stiff knees. Keep the faith bud. 

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 00:57

Us RT guys don't need to be chasing after the < 'undetectable' symbol. If you have had a prostatectomy it is desirable to be undetectable, but irrelevant for RT patients. RT only kills the cancerous cells, we are left with a full complement of healthy (well perhaps a little cooked) prostate cells after RT and they will be producing PSA. Remember that prior to a cancer diagnosis <2.9 is considered normal, so expecting to get near zero when you still have a prostate is a pointless target.

Andy, my hospital only tests to 0.1 so at my hospital your 0.07 would be reported as <0.1 .

Dave

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 06:27

Thanks Dave, I know, but there’s just something magical about the ‘<‘ symbol….like a ‘badge of honour’ after what we’ve gone through? Like you my hospital only measures to 0.1 and that’s what I am at the moment so everyone(including me!) is happy😊

Talking of symbols I got myself into real trouble a few years ago when my cousin told me his son was doing his PhD on the ‘=‘ sign. I just couldn’t contain myself and burst out laughing🤣🤣🤣. Needless to say it didn’t go down too well!😩

I know it may well go up to a more normal level when I (eventually!) stop the HT and I live in hope it will stay within these boundaries.

Derek

Edited by member 14 Feb 2024 at 06:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 13:43
Yes, Gaffer - your good so far, PSA is bound to go up at some point, for the reasons stated above - My RT & HT was done in 2019-20 - my PSA seems to have steadied off, at around 0.4. The Onco's are quite happy at that.
Wet cums are a thing of the past now, but on the bright side - it's less messy !