Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PET scan soon

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 21:42

Hi all

I have a PET scan booked for next week. My PSA is 1. 2 after a RP in 2020. Not worried about having it but I am worried re the outcome. Just interested to know how accurate they are in pinpointing where the cancer is as my consultant has told me that I may need a more detailed scan if the PET scan doesn't show anything. Grateful for any knowledge you may have. Feels like I am living on a knife edge!! Just like when I was first diagnosed. I know we have all been through that but I really did think I had got through it all.  Wishful thinking!! 

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 00:52
There are so many different scans that you will see references to now - Gallium 68 PET, F18, (both of which are PSMA PET scans), choline PET, Axumin PET (which is also referred to as 18F or FACBC) - the difference is that each of these uses a different 'tracer' or chemical. Bizarrely, each tracer has its own strengths and weaknesses so while Ga68 is generally considered to be the most sensitive, there are situations where Axumin picks something up that Ga68 missed and about 10% of prostate cancers are PSMA negative which means they don't show up on a G68 or 18F scan. It has even been known for an old-fashioned choline PET scan to spot something that the newer tracers couldn't see.

So your oncologist might be suggesting that you have a choline scan first (cheap, easy to produce, easily available) but that s/he is willing to refer you for a more detailed scan if the choline comes back clear. OR the oncologist might be saying that you will have a Ga68 PSMA scan first (expensive, very difficult to produce and can only be produced in small batches so cancelled appointments is a risk) but if that comes back clear, they will try one of the other tracers next.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 21:42

Hi all

I have a PET scan booked for next week. My PSA is 1. 2 after a RP in 2020. Not worried about having it but I am worried re the outcome. Just interested to know how accurate they are in pinpointing where the cancer is as my consultant has told me that I may need a more detailed scan if the PET scan doesn't show anything. Grateful for any knowledge you may have. Feels like I am living on a knife edge!! Just like when I was first diagnosed. I know we have all been through that but I really did think I had got through it all.  Wishful thinking!! 

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 22:11

Hi Martin 

I'm sorry to hear about this possible set back. I'm afraid I can't add anything useful about the scans, but I hope the results are good.

Best of luck mate.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 22:17
You could read my profile. I had two PET scans involving many cancellations. Neither showed any spread anywhere despite advancing post-op PSA. It can happen to some men if they are not responsive, but only a small percentage. Scan is ok and simple
User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 21:27

Thank you all for your replies . Every problem we have in life is relative to other peoples and I guess we all think its bad when things affect us. I am worried , but compared with  some others I am doing OK. Thanks for your support and information you give. Greatly appreciated.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 01:00

Hi again Martin.

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Wishing you and your wife all the best for the future.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 22:11

Hi Martin 

I'm sorry to hear about this possible set back. I'm afraid I can't add anything useful about the scans, but I hope the results are good.

Best of luck mate.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 22:17
You could read my profile. I had two PET scans involving many cancellations. Neither showed any spread anywhere despite advancing post-op PSA. It can happen to some men if they are not responsive, but only a small percentage. Scan is ok and simple
User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 00:52
There are so many different scans that you will see references to now - Gallium 68 PET, F18, (both of which are PSMA PET scans), choline PET, Axumin PET (which is also referred to as 18F or FACBC) - the difference is that each of these uses a different 'tracer' or chemical. Bizarrely, each tracer has its own strengths and weaknesses so while Ga68 is generally considered to be the most sensitive, there are situations where Axumin picks something up that Ga68 missed and about 10% of prostate cancers are PSMA negative which means they don't show up on a G68 or 18F scan. It has even been known for an old-fashioned choline PET scan to spot something that the newer tracers couldn't see.

So your oncologist might be suggesting that you have a choline scan first (cheap, easy to produce, easily available) but that s/he is willing to refer you for a more detailed scan if the choline comes back clear. OR the oncologist might be saying that you will have a Ga68 PSMA scan first (expensive, very difficult to produce and can only be produced in small batches so cancelled appointments is a risk) but if that comes back clear, they will try one of the other tracers next.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 21:27

Thank you all for your replies . Every problem we have in life is relative to other peoples and I guess we all think its bad when things affect us. I am worried , but compared with  some others I am doing OK. Thanks for your support and information you give. Greatly appreciated.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 20:01

Seen my oncologist today re the results of the PET scan. It has highlighted cancer cells in the right Ischium bone in the pelvic area. Nothing major she said and will take my case to the weekly regional meeting to seek agreement for Radiotherapy. Looks like that's being rationed now!!

She was pretty certain treatment will be agreed and told me it would only be 3 treatments over a week.  The cancer will not be cured but will hopefully be halted from spreading. Then its back to 3 monthly PAS tests and fingers crossed nothing else reoccurs but it may well do...who knows??

Overall I feel relieved that it is not too serious and that treatment is relatively straightforward.

My wife and I just want to get on with our lives as it feels like thay have been on hold for a while. My wife has had months of eye problems with a catarct op going horribly wrong. She has just had the other eye done which seems to have gone OK.

Looks like we may be able to enjoy the rest of Spring and Summer.

Hoorah for that.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 20:39

Jackson, sounds like you are possibly being considered SABR treatment, my oncologist had to get mine approved by whoever. There are apparently certain criteria that has to met for SABR treatment. Hope all goes well.

Best wishes to your wife.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 20:55

Thanks Chris

Yes I think you are right it must be for SABR which is why it is only 3 treatments. Glad you pointed that out to me .

Cheers and best wishes.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 01:00

Hi again Martin.

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Wishing you and your wife all the best for the future.