I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex length & side effects

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 10:52

Im now 15 months since starting radiotherapy for localised G9 (T2cN0M0) after HIFU failure, and on zoladex HT with curative intent. My PSA has been at 0.01 from the fueses 3 month post end of RT (apart from a weird 0.05 from a different lab and told by my oncologist they had had it issues with that lab at the time!)

I am now faced with deciding on the cost benefit of carrying on to 18 months or the STAMEDE big trial that says 24 months. (Though I think they compared 6-12 with 24-36 but not read it in detail) 

I am wondering how others in their 70s - I’m 73 have found the hormone therapy as it progresses from 6 to 12 to 18 to 24 months. How does it change after 12 months or over the time? I am disabled and had polio so energy and breathing has been challenged for the past 25 years to I’m used to ‘issues’ such as fatigue and muscle pains but therefore difficult for me to judge exactly how my symptoms are worse or not as I age - due to the HT or pillo - so I’m trying to ask others how they found the side effects after 12 months - does it get a lot worse  - or does it plateau- ??? I know many give up as risk/ benefit becomes different due to intolerable side effects.

I found the the RT and the frisa 9 months pretty OK - some muscle loss and obvious erectile issues and a few hot flushed (not a bother as very mild) - mood up and down some days but hey maybe part  of that is just anxiety living with high risk PCa 

any personal experiencia helpful .. I can’t exercise so that’s not an option but I haven’t put on weight and still as re treatment (54kilos) and a bit of low Hb - still working but sedentary- but obviously. 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 13:11

Hi Nomis,

Im not 70(yet!), but most of the side-affects Ive had kicked in pretty quickly, within the first few months. Joint ache was the exception - this kicked in after about 9 months on Prostap and is still getting worse.

Derek