Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New Member - Tiredness

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 15:22

Hi all

recently diagnosed with PCa and after MRI's, CT's and biopsy my consultant has confirmed it has remained within the prostate although quite large and covering both sides, despite this I have also just has a PET Scan of my lymph nodes just to make sure. Gleeson was 4/3 & PSA 27.

Due to previous abdominal surgeries we have decided to go the HT/RT route as there is too much scar tissue. I have just started on 2 weeks of Bicalutamide, then its 3 monthly HT Injection (not sure what they are using), another 2 weeks of Bicalutamide then just the 3 monthly jab with RT starting in 6 months.

At the moment it is looking like the RT will be either 4 weeks or 7.5 weeks, depending on the Pet Scan results.

So to my question.  I understand that the RT treatment can cause tiredness, in reality how bad is it & should I look to get lifts to and from the hospital, given that the journey is about an hour plus each way. 

Thanks

Ian

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:13

Hi Ian,

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but be assured that there is a great deal of knowledge and support here.  It also sounds like you've got a good treatment plan in place. 

To your question, back in 2019 I had 16 sessions of radiotherapy targeting my prostate over a period of 22 days.  I did start to feel a little tired / fatigued towards the end of the 22 days, but it was quite mild, similar to how you'd feel if you had a common cold.  It certainly didn't get to the point that it impaired driving ability and I was quite comfortable driving the 45 minutes to and from the Christie in Manchester for my sessions. 

The mild fatigue continued for perhaps a week or 10 days after the sessions finished (the prostate carries on 'cooking' for quite a while after the RT is finished) so I just took things easy and didn't over-exert myself.

Of course, treatments have different side effects on different people.  I was 55 at the time I had my RT and relatively fit and active, which may explain why I only experienced mild fatigue.  I would advise just to go with how you feel, and if you do start to feel that driving may be a little too much, organise a lift.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your treatment over the coming months.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:42

Hi iansinky on diagnosis I was Gleason 9 psa 24.9 I had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and found it tolerable worked all the way through the radiotherapy going to work after my early morning treatment and found it ok just made sure I used the loo before leaving hospital was a little tired at the end but never missed a day at work hopefully your treatment goes as well gaz 👍

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 15:22

Hi all

recently diagnosed with PCa and after MRI's, CT's and biopsy my consultant has confirmed it has remained within the prostate although quite large and covering both sides, despite this I have also just has a PET Scan of my lymph nodes just to make sure. Gleeson was 4/3 & PSA 27.

Due to previous abdominal surgeries we have decided to go the HT/RT route as there is too much scar tissue. I have just started on 2 weeks of Bicalutamide, then its 3 monthly HT Injection (not sure what they are using), another 2 weeks of Bicalutamide then just the 3 monthly jab with RT starting in 6 months.

At the moment it is looking like the RT will be either 4 weeks or 7.5 weeks, depending on the Pet Scan results.

So to my question.  I understand that the RT treatment can cause tiredness, in reality how bad is it & should I look to get lifts to and from the hospital, given that the journey is about an hour plus each way. 

Thanks

Ian

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:13

Hi Ian,

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but be assured that there is a great deal of knowledge and support here.  It also sounds like you've got a good treatment plan in place. 

To your question, back in 2019 I had 16 sessions of radiotherapy targeting my prostate over a period of 22 days.  I did start to feel a little tired / fatigued towards the end of the 22 days, but it was quite mild, similar to how you'd feel if you had a common cold.  It certainly didn't get to the point that it impaired driving ability and I was quite comfortable driving the 45 minutes to and from the Christie in Manchester for my sessions. 

The mild fatigue continued for perhaps a week or 10 days after the sessions finished (the prostate carries on 'cooking' for quite a while after the RT is finished) so I just took things easy and didn't over-exert myself.

Of course, treatments have different side effects on different people.  I was 55 at the time I had my RT and relatively fit and active, which may explain why I only experienced mild fatigue.  I would advise just to go with how you feel, and if you do start to feel that driving may be a little too much, organise a lift.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your treatment over the coming months.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:42

Hi iansinky on diagnosis I was Gleason 9 psa 24.9 I had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and found it tolerable worked all the way through the radiotherapy going to work after my early morning treatment and found it ok just made sure I used the loo before leaving hospital was a little tired at the end but never missed a day at work hopefully your treatment goes as well gaz 👍