Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Quick Question re RP -

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 01:41

Dear Friends,

I am scheduled for my RP in a few weeks time.  (I'm Gleason 7 - 4+3; T2A, M0, N0 for my sins.)  I took part in an on-line support group in the US - as I'm here on a work project - today.  It was very informative in some regards.  

One chap mentioned that you shouldn't have an RP done by a surgeon who is '(a) just about to leave for or (b) just returning from vacation'.  He said at the front end they would be in a dash to leave and on the back they would need a few to re-sharpen their skills.

My surgeon - who is VERY skilled - with over 1,500 RPs to his credit and over 500 five star reviews and major clinical testimonials - is about to go on leave.  Indeed the original surgery date offer me was delayed by two weeks to honour his leave commitment.  Completely understandable and deserved I'm sure.  I'm now worried given what this chap has said - in all sincerity - at this on-line meeting earlier today.

Can you tell me do you think outcomes will be poorer because a surgeon is returning from leave?  I really hadn't thought about it before .... but this has sent me pondering.

As ever I will be grateful for your kind advice.

Bless you for ALL.  

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:30

My surgeon was jetting off the same day I had my RP. No issues. Sounds like a car made on a Friday will be a bad car type remark... baseless.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 12:35

I had my op early on a Monday morning, I did ask my surgeon if he had been on a stag weekend. He did see the funny side of the comment.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 01:41

Dear Friends,

I am scheduled for my RP in a few weeks time.  (I'm Gleason 7 - 4+3; T2A, M0, N0 for my sins.)  I took part in an on-line support group in the US - as I'm here on a work project - today.  It was very informative in some regards.  

One chap mentioned that you shouldn't have an RP done by a surgeon who is '(a) just about to leave for or (b) just returning from vacation'.  He said at the front end they would be in a dash to leave and on the back they would need a few to re-sharpen their skills.

My surgeon - who is VERY skilled - with over 1,500 RPs to his credit and over 500 five star reviews and major clinical testimonials - is about to go on leave.  Indeed the original surgery date offer me was delayed by two weeks to honour his leave commitment.  Completely understandable and deserved I'm sure.  I'm now worried given what this chap has said - in all sincerity - at this on-line meeting earlier today.

Can you tell me do you think outcomes will be poorer because a surgeon is returning from leave?  I really hadn't thought about it before .... but this has sent me pondering.

As ever I will be grateful for your kind advice.

Bless you for ALL.  

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 07:38

Meunier

I feel the comment made was very irresponsible. I was the last RARP to be carried out by my surgeon before he retired. Was I concerned? Not at all. He had a wealth of experience and I had complete confidence in him. It looks as though your surgeon is equally experienced and your welfare will be paramount.

Have confidence - you’ll be in good hands.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 07:39

It wouldn't worry me at all. I suppose surgeons are like any skilled workers, they'll have good days and less good days.

I wouldn't want one who'd been partying the night before, got home in the early hours, had a blazing row with his wife, had a splitting head ache, blurred vision and shakey hands. 😁

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 08:47
It sounds like a flippant remark made by un uneducated person (aka an idiot).
Ignore them - you will be in good hands!
User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 08:48

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I wouldn't want one who'd been partying the night before, got home in the early hours, had a blazing row with his wife, had a splitting head ache, blurred vision and shakey hands. 😁

Dam, good job I'm not a surgeon then :) 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 07:38

Meunier

I feel the comment made was very irresponsible. I was the last RARP to be carried out by my surgeon before he retired. Was I concerned? Not at all. He had a wealth of experience and I had complete confidence in him. It looks as though your surgeon is equally experienced and your welfare will be paramount.

Have confidence - you’ll be in good hands.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 07:39

It wouldn't worry me at all. I suppose surgeons are like any skilled workers, they'll have good days and less good days.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 08:47
It sounds like a flippant remark made by un uneducated person (aka an idiot).
Ignore them - you will be in good hands!
User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 08:48

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Dam, good job I'm not a surgeon then :) 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:30

My surgeon was jetting off the same day I had my RP. No issues. Sounds like a car made on a Friday will be a bad car type remark... baseless.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 12:35

I had my op early on a Monday morning, I did ask my surgeon if he had been on a stag weekend. He did see the funny side of the comment.

Thanks Chris