Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newbie partner

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 11:43

Hi

I'm tentatively joining as I am a little worried and don't really have anyone I can talk to about the subject. My partner is 55yrs old and has been having urination issues for a few years, nothing major and just assumed it was just an age thing. Anyway recently its been getting worse... he's been getting up 2-3 times a night needing to urinate, urgency during the day, unable to go anywhere without needing the bathroom and occasional urinary straining. A lot more tired than usual too. I have basically nagged him to go to the doctors as it cannot carry on! He just feels like he's wasting everyones time...I've said he's not and its needs checking. Anyway he finally spoke to the GP and they have booked him in for a PSA test in a weeks time. 

I'm trying not to think the worst but its hard....I wish he'd got this sorted before..

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 12:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I'm tentatively joining as I am a little worried and don't really have anyone I can talk to about the subject.

Welcome to the forum Amber. You've done the right thing to find us. You'll always find someone to talk to here. 

I'm not medically trained but I'm pretty sure your husbands symptoms could be caused by many other conditions. You've done wonderfully well to get him to have a PSA test. It's the best place to start.

Please keep us updated.

Best of luck to both of you.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:01
I agree with Adrian - one of the problems with Prostate Cancer is that in most cases there are no symptoms. That's why educating men of a certain age to get their PSA test is so important.

It could well be simply an enlarged prostate or prostatitus or any other number of things and he does have age on his side.

Wait until the PSA comes back and that will give you and the doctor the information needed to decide on what is the best treatment. Has he also had a urine test?

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 11:43

Hi

I'm tentatively joining as I am a little worried and don't really have anyone I can talk to about the subject. My partner is 55yrs old and has been having urination issues for a few years, nothing major and just assumed it was just an age thing. Anyway recently its been getting worse... he's been getting up 2-3 times a night needing to urinate, urgency during the day, unable to go anywhere without needing the bathroom and occasional urinary straining. A lot more tired than usual too. I have basically nagged him to go to the doctors as it cannot carry on! He just feels like he's wasting everyones time...I've said he's not and its needs checking. Anyway he finally spoke to the GP and they have booked him in for a PSA test in a weeks time. 

I'm trying not to think the worst but its hard....I wish he'd got this sorted before..

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:16

The symptoms are classic for enlarged prostate, which is nothing to do with prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer rarely has any symptoms until it spreads to another part of the body, so the only realistic way it can currently be picked up early is with a PSA blood test, and all men should be getting that done in their 50's, so it's good that's arranged. Sadly there's no national screening program so many men don't get checked in time.

Unfortunately, we can't assure you he doesn't have prostate cancer - you need to wait for the results of the PSA test. The symptoms you describe are not usually due to prostate cancer, but you can have both conditions since they aren't related. Ideally, he would have a digital rectal exam (DRE - finger up the bum) too, because about 16% of prostate cancer doesn't cause an increase in PSA, but it's certainly worth getting a PSA blood test done even if not the DRE.

If it is enlarged prostate, this can be treated with medication, which should ease his urinary symptoms.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 15:21

Hi Amber,

I’m so glad you persuaded him to get tested, we men are (sometimes😉) so stubborn especially when it comes  to matters ‘down below’. I wish I had got tested during  COVID when my symptoms started but you know…..didn’t want to bother the health service, they had enough to cope with. As a result my treatment options were limited when  I  WAS diagnosed after COVID. If you are unlucky and it is Prostate Cancer, the earlier you get diagnosed the more treatment options are available to you and the better chances you have of being cured.

So I will keep my fingers crossed for you🤞🤞🤞, and either way, when you know the result remind your friends to get tested….I’m surprised by the number of men that are tested and diagnosed following a friends diagnosis.

In the meantime you will find the waiting is the worst, so be kind to yourselves, give yourselves lots of treats and do lots of nice things together…it really helps with the anxiety.

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 17:42

Thank you all so much for the friendly welcome! As a woman we have certain routine tests and checks for cancer it's a shame that men have nothing routinely set up for prostate cancer. I love my partner very much and hopefully this will turn out to be something straightforward but if it isn't I'll be there to support him armed with the information on here. You're all amazing! Thank you and I'll keep you updated.

User
Hi Thanks both!

The GP just went straight for the PSA without anything else, didn't even request a urine sample which kind of set me worrying...he talked about waiting for the results then maybe a DRE and urine tests. I guess its good that the important stuff is tested for first.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:33

.... and just to add to the previous excellent posts, he may be more tired than usual simply because his sleep is being disturbed. 

Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 12:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I'm tentatively joining as I am a little worried and don't really have anyone I can talk to about the subject.

Welcome to the forum Amber. You've done the right thing to find us. You'll always find someone to talk to here. 

I'm not medically trained but I'm pretty sure your husbands symptoms could be caused by many other conditions. You've done wonderfully well to get him to have a PSA test. It's the best place to start.

Please keep us updated.

Best of luck to both of you.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:01
I agree with Adrian - one of the problems with Prostate Cancer is that in most cases there are no symptoms. That's why educating men of a certain age to get their PSA test is so important.

It could well be simply an enlarged prostate or prostatitus or any other number of things and he does have age on his side.

Wait until the PSA comes back and that will give you and the doctor the information needed to decide on what is the best treatment. Has he also had a urine test?

User
Hi Thanks both!

The GP just went straight for the PSA without anything else, didn't even request a urine sample which kind of set me worrying...he talked about waiting for the results then maybe a DRE and urine tests. I guess its good that the important stuff is tested for first.

User

The symptoms are classic for enlarged prostate, which is nothing to do with prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer rarely has any symptoms until it spreads to another part of the body, so the only realistic way it can currently be picked up early is with a PSA blood test, and all men should be getting that done in their 50's, so it's good that's arranged. Sadly there's no national screening program so many men don't get checked in time.

Unfortunately, we can't assure you he doesn't have prostate cancer - you need to wait for the results of the PSA test. The symptoms you describe are not usually due to prostate cancer, but you can have both conditions since they aren't related. Ideally, he would have a digital rectal exam (DRE - finger up the bum) too, because about 16% of prostate cancer doesn't cause an increase in PSA, but it's certainly worth getting a PSA blood test done even if not the DRE.

If it is enlarged prostate, this can be treated with medication, which should ease his urinary symptoms.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:33

.... and just to add to the previous excellent posts, he may be more tired than usual simply because his sleep is being disturbed. 

Peter

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 15:21

Hi Amber,

I’m so glad you persuaded him to get tested, we men are (sometimes😉) so stubborn especially when it comes  to matters ‘down below’. I wish I had got tested during  COVID when my symptoms started but you know…..didn’t want to bother the health service, they had enough to cope with. As a result my treatment options were limited when  I  WAS diagnosed after COVID. If you are unlucky and it is Prostate Cancer, the earlier you get diagnosed the more treatment options are available to you and the better chances you have of being cured.

So I will keep my fingers crossed for you🤞🤞🤞, and either way, when you know the result remind your friends to get tested….I’m surprised by the number of men that are tested and diagnosed following a friends diagnosis.

In the meantime you will find the waiting is the worst, so be kind to yourselves, give yourselves lots of treats and do lots of nice things together…it really helps with the anxiety.

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 17:42

Thank you all so much for the friendly welcome! As a woman we have certain routine tests and checks for cancer it's a shame that men have nothing routinely set up for prostate cancer. I love my partner very much and hopefully this will turn out to be something straightforward but if it isn't I'll be there to support him armed with the information on here. You're all amazing! Thank you and I'll keep you updated.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 17:42

Welcome Amber. (I'm new here too).

Firstly do not look back and dwell on hindsight, (coulda/shoulda/woulda). That has now passed and cannot be undone.
You've both done the right thing and made the first positive steps forward. Well done!

I was scared witless going for my first PSA test. 

Fingers crossed that your partner just has an enlarged prostate and nothing more than that.

Best of Luck!

Taps.

Edited by member 02 Mar 2024 at 17:43  | Reason: Not specified