I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Intermittent hormone therapy - side effects

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:22

I am a superfit 71 year old sportsman and am very concerned about the probable negative side effects of intermittent hormone therapy (tiredness, weight gain etc).

I am very interested to hear from folks on this treatment, especially if the are keen sports people.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 14:24

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I can't directly answer your question about intermittent hormone therapy, but I can offer my experience of being on full-time hormone therapy for the past 5 years.  I was diagnosed in 2019 when I was 54, and started on zoladex injections straight away, followed by chemo and radiotherapy (the full story's in my profile).  In 2021, my PSA started rising so enzalutamide (also known as Xtandi) was added, which has kept my PSA well suppressed. 

I have experienced almost no side effects from the hormone therapy - no tiredness / fatigue, no 'brain fog', no weight gain, not even any man-boobs.  The one side effect I have had is loss of libido.  However, that's just my experience:  others have had significant side effects.          

But being fit & active is an excellent base to start from, whichever option you decide to take.  My 10p's worth is to try the hormone therapy and see how you get on;  you can always stop.  

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 16:14

Hi jkw , sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I had RT/HT just over a year ago and, common to a lot of people who have had similar treatment, I had 2 main side-effects of hot flushes/interrupted sleep and loss of libido.  Tiredness was related to the lack of proper sleep and not particularly to the RT treatment.  I did not gain a lot of weight.

I am over a year post RT and the main effects of my 2nd and last zoladex injection wore off last summer. I am pleased to say that my sleep is more or less back to normal.  My sex drive is improving with the help of tadalafil but this aspect of our treatment is difficult to cope with.

I have had a few mild incontinence issues but, to be honest, my bladder was never the strongest before all this started anyway!  I am doing kegal/bladder exercises and hopefully they might help.

With regard to your sporting activities - I have been a regular 5k park-runner and kept these runs up during and after my treatment. It is interesting to see how my times were affected.  From being, on average, about a 24min finisher, I probably was about 6mins slower during my treatment. In recent months I am averaging 26mins. So, not quite back to where I was, but getting there and feeling stronger compared to a few months ago.  I think regular exercise is very important for coping physically and mentally with what we go through and would encourage you to try to keep up your sport.

Good luck with everything! 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 17:57
Vin 59 - many thanks for your most positive and encouraging reply. I am a 5k park runner too (150+ runs) though my time has dropped from 18 mins to c 30 mins - nothing to do with cancer just "Father time", 18 mins was in my 40s, c 30 mins now I'm 71! In your profile you say it's 6 months since full effects of HT have gone, I take it from that that you are no longer under HT treatment and that you are cured. That's great if that the case My understanding of HT is that it stops the spread of cancer (I am metastatic) but does not cure the disease. I have been very responsive to radiotherapy which has zapped 2 tumours in my abdomen / stomach. I now have recurrent tumours in my neck and prostate. I agree with you that regular exercise is great for both physical and mental positivity.

Good luck in the future - all sounds very encouraging.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 18:12
Who has offered you intermittent HT? Men with metastatic HT are not usually promised IHT at the start - it is usually more of a "let's get you on HT and then see how you go - if the PSA stays low for a couple of years, we will think about a hormone holiday."

Your other option of watchful waiting is also surprising - again, with metastases, WW is basically deciding to die without treatment or deciding to wait for more mets and then have HT just to reduce side effects as you become terminal. That is your right if you choose, of course - my father-in-law chose active surveillance (which is what WW is more usually called) and died within 4 years. He wasn't metastatic when he refused to have treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 20:19

Hi Jkw,

Yes it’s true that some men don’t seem to have many side effects other than inevitable loss of libido. However there are many others (including me) who have had significant side effects…so be Prepared. I have NO IDEA why some men suffer and others don’t but I really wish there was some research on the subject. Is it down to build, your testosterone levels before starting, your fitness levels, or something else? I have no idea. There MUST be a reason and if you’re on it for life I think it’s important,  so that you can try and take steps to reduce them. The only one that really bothers me is joint ache, which many men on here are complaining about at the moment. This can be quite debilitating so I’m still searching for a something to help with this…and will keep searching.

Good luck,

Derek

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 13:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Atlas - thanks for your reply. My HT starts on Monday. Wish me well !

I wish you all the best jkw and hopefully you’ll be one of the lucky ones. My advice would be to keep as active as your body allows. Sounds like you are fit, so try to keep that fitness and strength and don’t  stop for anything if you can help it. My downfall started during my RT, that’s when I eased off a bit and I started to get my muscle pains especially in my legs.

all the best,

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 14:24

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I can't directly answer your question about intermittent hormone therapy, but I can offer my experience of being on full-time hormone therapy for the past 5 years.  I was diagnosed in 2019 when I was 54, and started on zoladex injections straight away, followed by chemo and radiotherapy (the full story's in my profile).  In 2021, my PSA started rising so enzalutamide (also known as Xtandi) was added, which has kept my PSA well suppressed. 

I have experienced almost no side effects from the hormone therapy - no tiredness / fatigue, no 'brain fog', no weight gain, not even any man-boobs.  The one side effect I have had is loss of libido.  However, that's just my experience:  others have had significant side effects.          

But being fit & active is an excellent base to start from, whichever option you decide to take.  My 10p's worth is to try the hormone therapy and see how you get on;  you can always stop.  

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 14:30
Craig - Thanks very much for sharing. You are the first person (I haven't spoken to many, hence my post) I have heard from who has had no side effects - very encouraging. I would be interest to know the stats of folks suffering side effects versus those with no side effects. I am guessing from reading posts on this community forum that you may be in the minority but very very encouraging to read your comments. Thanks and good luck in your continuing treatment.
User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 16:14

Hi jkw , sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I had RT/HT just over a year ago and, common to a lot of people who have had similar treatment, I had 2 main side-effects of hot flushes/interrupted sleep and loss of libido.  Tiredness was related to the lack of proper sleep and not particularly to the RT treatment.  I did not gain a lot of weight.

I am over a year post RT and the main effects of my 2nd and last zoladex injection wore off last summer. I am pleased to say that my sleep is more or less back to normal.  My sex drive is improving with the help of tadalafil but this aspect of our treatment is difficult to cope with.

I have had a few mild incontinence issues but, to be honest, my bladder was never the strongest before all this started anyway!  I am doing kegal/bladder exercises and hopefully they might help.

With regard to your sporting activities - I have been a regular 5k park-runner and kept these runs up during and after my treatment. It is interesting to see how my times were affected.  From being, on average, about a 24min finisher, I probably was about 6mins slower during my treatment. In recent months I am averaging 26mins. So, not quite back to where I was, but getting there and feeling stronger compared to a few months ago.  I think regular exercise is very important for coping physically and mentally with what we go through and would encourage you to try to keep up your sport.

Good luck with everything! 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 17:57
Vin 59 - many thanks for your most positive and encouraging reply. I am a 5k park runner too (150+ runs) though my time has dropped from 18 mins to c 30 mins - nothing to do with cancer just "Father time", 18 mins was in my 40s, c 30 mins now I'm 71! In your profile you say it's 6 months since full effects of HT have gone, I take it from that that you are no longer under HT treatment and that you are cured. That's great if that the case My understanding of HT is that it stops the spread of cancer (I am metastatic) but does not cure the disease. I have been very responsive to radiotherapy which has zapped 2 tumours in my abdomen / stomach. I now have recurrent tumours in my neck and prostate. I agree with you that regular exercise is great for both physical and mental positivity.

Good luck in the future - all sounds very encouraging.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 18:12
Who has offered you intermittent HT? Men with metastatic HT are not usually promised IHT at the start - it is usually more of a "let's get you on HT and then see how you go - if the PSA stays low for a couple of years, we will think about a hormone holiday."

Your other option of watchful waiting is also surprising - again, with metastases, WW is basically deciding to die without treatment or deciding to wait for more mets and then have HT just to reduce side effects as you become terminal. That is your right if you choose, of course - my father-in-law chose active surveillance (which is what WW is more usually called) and died within 4 years. He wasn't metastatic when he refused to have treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 18:18
Lyn - thanks for your comments, which I will take on board.
User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 20:19

Hi Jkw,

Yes it’s true that some men don’t seem to have many side effects other than inevitable loss of libido. However there are many others (including me) who have had significant side effects…so be Prepared. I have NO IDEA why some men suffer and others don’t but I really wish there was some research on the subject. Is it down to build, your testosterone levels before starting, your fitness levels, or something else? I have no idea. There MUST be a reason and if you’re on it for life I think it’s important,  so that you can try and take steps to reduce them. The only one that really bothers me is joint ache, which many men on here are complaining about at the moment. This can be quite debilitating so I’m still searching for a something to help with this…and will keep searching.

Good luck,

Derek

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 22:22
Derek - yes, I’ve had mixed responses : some men have had little effects some have had lots. Fingers crossed that I will be one of those with few effects. I am positive physically and mentally and I am hoping my sport ( I’m a high level tennis player) helps me throughout my treatment.

Many thanks again for your reply.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 00:03

Hi

I've had 6 months HT. I am experiencing hot flushes, muscle and joint pain, weight gain and fatigue.

It's not pleasant but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck!

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 11:05
User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 13:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I wish you all the best jkw and hopefully you’ll be one of the lucky ones. My advice would be to keep as active as your body allows. Sounds like you are fit, so try to keep that fitness and strength and don’t  stop for anything if you can help it. My downfall started during my RT, that’s when I eased off a bit and I started to get my muscle pains especially in my legs.

all the best,

Derek