I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Watchful waiting versus intermittent hormone therapy

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:42

I have metatstatic prostate cancer (currently in my neck and prostate). I have been given 2 treatment options - watchful waiting or intermittent hormone therapy (which I have sent a separate post) - I have to make a decision on March 1st.

As I am a superfit 71 year old sportsman my preference is watchful monitoring as this does not carry the negative side effects of intermittent hormone therapy. I am aware that this carries risks of cancer growth / spread.

I am interested to learn from experiences of those on watchful waiting, especially if they are active sports people.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 15:54
JKW - please follow the advice of your medical team. Lizzo is either a troll or is self-medicating her husband outside of any medical protocol. Her advice is really quite dangerous :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:42

I have metatstatic prostate cancer (currently in my neck and prostate). I have been given 2 treatment options - watchful waiting or intermittent hormone therapy (which I have sent a separate post) - I have to make a decision on March 1st.

As I am a superfit 71 year old sportsman my preference is watchful monitoring as this does not carry the negative side effects of intermittent hormone therapy. I am aware that this carries risks of cancer growth / spread.

I am interested to learn from experiences of those on watchful waiting, especially if they are active sports people.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 10:49
Lizzo - many thanks for your post. I'll look into your suggestions. Best wishes for husband's treatment.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 08:13

Hi I can't give you any medical advice but I can understand your reservations about ADT my husband was told to have Zoladex but I had misgivings about it and instead he is having a very potent phytoestrogen which I take for menopause symptoms 

Whilst I have misgivings about pharmaceutical ADT such as Zoladex I do firmly believe that estrogen can suppress prostste cancer it has been proven beyond doubt that exogenous estrogen works on prostate cancer have you heard of the PATCH trials ? It's a big study into transdermal estrogen treatment of PCa oral estrogens had some side effects but transdermal patches of estrogen - just like what women use for menopause -have proven to be successful in treating PCa results are due in spring 2024, some private clinics in Germany prescribe estrogen patches for men with PCA

So my main point is estrogen works on PCa but I don't know where you would source it 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3560819/

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb&sca_esv=0d8ea42cb5e21786&sxsrf=ACQVn0-tamlwEX2ytReERjMDgXIqlpKYbQ:1707681283498&q=transdermal+estrogen+adt+prostate+cancer&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbg6vCiKSEAxWdbEEAHVvKC2UQ0pQJegQIChAB&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=1.5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:80ede9ad,vid:KBpg_SE0Odo,st:0

Edited by member 25 Feb 2024 at 08:19  | Reason: Add more info

User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 10:49
Lizzo - many thanks for your post. I'll look into your suggestions. Best wishes for husband's treatment.
User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 15:54
JKW - please follow the advice of your medical team. Lizzo is either a troll or is self-medicating her husband outside of any medical protocol. Her advice is really quite dangerous :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 16:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You won't find anyone on this forum on WW with metastatic PCa - as I said on your other thread, WW is not normally done in the UK these days. Not will you find anyone on here on active surveillance with metastatic PCa as these patients are not considered suitable. 

If you are looking for someone with metastatic PCa who has decided to decline treatment and take their chances, there are a couple of members on here in their mid to late 80s in that situation but you might find someone on the YANAnow website  https://www.yananow.org/ 

It would be helpful to know a bit more about your situation. You have previously posted that you had RT to a couple of mets last year - was that SABR or palliative RT? Who is talking to you about WW as an approach - your urologist? Your GP? the oncologist? It is not language that urologists or oncologists would generally use in the UK. And who has suggested IHT to you? Are you on any hormone treatment at the moment? 

Edited by member 25 Feb 2024 at 16:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 18:03
Lyn - thanks for your note. I had prostate brachtherapy in 2015. Although succesful the cancer escaped the prostate and I am metastatic. I have had SABR radiotherapy in 2022 and 2023 which has zapped 2 tumours in my abdomen / stomach region. I now have cancer in my neck and possibly my prostate. I am at midpoint in my dialogue with my oncology consultant re further treatment options.
User
Posted 25 Feb 2024 at 19:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I didn't give any advice ?

And if I did  I would never advise  waiting and watching mets