I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ultra-Sensitive PSA Test sensitivity from July 2023

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 18:34

I am new to the forum, and read this thread with interest.  Like others, I have become aware of the new level of sensitivity that my annual PSA test returned this year, and I would like to explore this further. I couldn’t find a thread specifically on this matter.

I had an RP in 2015, and within 6 months my PSA had become “undetectable” at <0.003.  My surgeon said that they would not do any further investigation until my PSA rose to >0.030.  Good news - plenty of leeway before that threshold.  A few years later my PSA was verbally reported at 0.006.  I discovered this to actually be <0.006 and this now registered as “undetectable”.  Hmm, OK!  The sensitivity still gives plenty of scope for determining a trajectory before 0.030. 

Last December my result was reported as 0.025, and I was shocked. I eventually managed to get through to the secretary who then confirmed that the result was <0.025 (a little arrow pointing to the left?) and set me up with a doctors appointment where he confirmed that the same supersensitive test had been requested, and suggested a retest in February.  This test also gave a result of <0.025.  A bit of research provides the indication of a change of protocol and NICE guidelines that Post-RP sensitivity should be 0.025 with investigation at 0.1.   

I do not find this at all reassuring, and out of line with the principles of early detection and intervention.  I understand the issues with potentially creating anxiety if super-sensitive results vary or increase at the level of 0.01, but surely the answer is not to stop measuring at that reassuring level?

Furthermore, let’s map out a scenario with these sensitivities - perhaps my actual reading this year is 0.024 and it is reported as “undetectable” at <0.025, but it actually represents more than a quadrupling in a year; on the same trajectory, next years reading would be 0.1.  This is way beyond the 0.030 previously advised as an investigation threshold, and already at the new investigation threshold. No warning, no real trajectory data, far less opportunity for early diagnosis or intervention

OK, my head tells me this is an unlikely scenario, but it is scary, and it is bugging me.

So to my questions - 

1. Is anyone else wrestling with this, or have I gone insane?

2. Does anyone know of anywhere (I already checked my local private consultants practice) where it is still possible to get a test of 0.006 sensitivity?  Even privately?

3.  Have I misunderstood the whole equation, or the underlying science?

4. Is this just an understandable NHS cost-saving initiative? Is a test at 0.025 sensitivity materially less expensive (through the entire process) than one at 0.006?

5.  Have I missed some other key piece of information that makes everyone else think this is fine?

Thanks in advance for your insight - it seems that this is a very caring and supportive community from the little I have read so far.  😘

Edited by member 23 Feb 2024 at 18:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 18:34

I am new to the forum, and read this thread with interest.  Like others, I have become aware of the new level of sensitivity that my annual PSA test returned this year, and I would like to explore this further. I couldn’t find a thread specifically on this matter.

I had an RP in 2015, and within 6 months my PSA had become “undetectable” at <0.003.  My surgeon said that they would not do any further investigation until my PSA rose to >0.030.  Good news - plenty of leeway before that threshold.  A few years later my PSA was verbally reported at 0.006.  I discovered this to actually be <0.006 and this now registered as “undetectable”.  Hmm, OK!  The sensitivity still gives plenty of scope for determining a trajectory before 0.030. 

Last December my result was reported as 0.025, and I was shocked. I eventually managed to get through to the secretary who then confirmed that the result was <0.025 (a little arrow pointing to the left?) and set me up with a doctors appointment where he confirmed that the same supersensitive test had been requested, and suggested a retest in February.  This test also gave a result of <0.025.  A bit of research provides the indication of a change of protocol and NICE guidelines that Post-RP sensitivity should be 0.025 with investigation at 0.1.   

I do not find this at all reassuring, and out of line with the principles of early detection and intervention.  I understand the issues with potentially creating anxiety if super-sensitive results vary or increase at the level of 0.01, but surely the answer is not to stop measuring at that reassuring level?

Furthermore, let’s map out a scenario with these sensitivities - perhaps my actual reading this year is 0.024 and it is reported as “undetectable” at <0.025, but it actually represents more than a quadrupling in a year; on the same trajectory, next years reading would be 0.1.  This is way beyond the 0.030 previously advised as an investigation threshold, and already at the new investigation threshold. No warning, no real trajectory data, far less opportunity for early diagnosis or intervention

OK, my head tells me this is an unlikely scenario, but it is scary, and it is bugging me.

So to my questions - 

1. Is anyone else wrestling with this, or have I gone insane?

2. Does anyone know of anywhere (I already checked my local private consultants practice) where it is still possible to get a test of 0.006 sensitivity?  Even privately?

3.  Have I misunderstood the whole equation, or the underlying science?

4. Is this just an understandable NHS cost-saving initiative? Is a test at 0.025 sensitivity materially less expensive (through the entire process) than one at 0.006?

5.  Have I missed some other key piece of information that makes everyone else think this is fine?

Thanks in advance for your insight - it seems that this is a very caring and supportive community from the little I have read so far.  😘

Edited by member 23 Feb 2024 at 18:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:16

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

I had RARP a year ago my results have been <0.02, <0.05, <0.02, <0.02 and 0.02. All the measurements were the lowest the labs measured to and all classed as undetectable

As I understand it NICE guidelines say BCR is either 3 consecutive PSA rises or when it reaches 0.20. It seems to me you're way off this trigger point for possible further treatment. 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:18

Hi Healey 

I agree and have posted much the same for some time.  Although some say that readings below 0.03 aren't particularly accurate.  

Also 0.03 is still very very small and detection very very unlikely.

Some hospitals use 0.1 as a threshold as they believe it's causing worry unnecessarily.

Ulsterman is an exception to get useful intervention at a low level.

I think a national standard of 0.05 should be adopted unless there is proof of widespread benefit lower.  Like you an early trend is my preference.  

My hospital starts investigation at 0.2 unless it rises fast.

It might have been better to create your own thread.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 19:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:20
Basically just stop worrying until it gets to 0.1. this far out from your RP and still getting a < means you are as cured as you can be.

I have been round the mill with this if you read my profile you will understand why!

In 2015 for high risk detected after RP (T3A or above, or high G) meant you could be recommended for adjuvant RT. A paper shortly after that also said if it goes above 0.03 you are basically fooked so might as well have salvage therapy anyway. Subsequent much larger studies have basically discredited those approaches and proven that it's safe to wait until at least 0.2 for salvage therapy.

I suspect the winds of change may now be blowing towards not treating until PSMA scans can detect the recurrence. Time will tell if this approach is safe.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 23:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
As I understand it NICE guidelines say BCR is either 3 consecutive PSA rises or when it reaches 0.20. It seems to me you're way off this trigger point for possible further treatment.

BCR is defined as 3 successive rises above 0.1 OR it reaches 0.2 OR it is measurable and the man had a poor pathology. Ulsterman fits in the latter group. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 19:35

Well at the risk of turning this into a thread on Air Traffic Control. In Holland there was a directive to fit mode S transponders (not cheap, makes aircraft visible on radar) on all aircraft including Gliders. On the the first warm weekend after the directive, an order went out for gliders to switch off their very expensive transponders.

Ultra sensitive PSA does cause too much noise, hence they have 'turned it off'.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 10:28

Thank you all for your replies.

Firstly, ColwickChris, yes I did mean 0.03 in that paragraph.

The consultants secretary I spoke to said the amendment was within NG12, and was made in July2023.  I looked at the latest version I could find on the intranet and I couldn’t find that amendment. 

I really wanted to pick up on the point made by LynEyre, particularly if the change is to do with reporting, rather than the accuracy of the test itself.  In my head, it is not the accuracy of the readings at a very low level, nor the fact that 99.9999% of the population has a higher reading than I do that is causing me to worry.  I tried to find an analogy to demonstrate my concern, and why I think that changing the reporting is unhelpful.  Let me try this.

Pretend (if you need to) that you are an airplane pilot that has survived a near-miss in-flight incident. And your father and uncle were both killed in air-crashes.  Not surprisingly, you will rely on your radar more than you might otherwise.  You know that the radar shows when it detects other planes at 5km distance, and you only really need to consider taking any action when they are 500m away. Planes go in and out of the periphery of the radar, and you know they are there and that the radar is working but you don’t worry about them.  Then one day, the ground staff fit a ring around the edge of the radar screen that blanks off the range from 5km to 2.5km and tell you they are doing this because that range of the radar has been found to be inaccurate, and in any case you don’t need to worry about them until they are 500M away.  You live with it for a while, and then you find that they have fitted another ring blanking off the range from 2.5km to 1000m and they tell you that air-crash investigators have said that accidents only happen when planes get to be within 300m of each other, and the range from 2.5km to 1000m is a bit inaccurate, and it is distracting for the pilot to know about all those other planes that are extremely unlikely to cause an accident.  How do you feel now? 

Personally, I want to known as far in advance as I can about something I may have to deal with that might kill me, even if it is very unlikely; even if the information I get is potentially inaccurate and I get some peripheral false alarms.  Furthermore, I want to know how fast I am closing in on an event which I may need to take action for. 

Please understand, I know I am very fortunate to be in remission, and that I have nothing really to worry about. But somehow this latest change doesn’t work for me. Perhaps it is because I like to believe I am in remission, and the data I was getting was reinforcing that.  Making that data less supportive of that hypothesis is undermining the belief.

Patients do not decide to treat themselves medically (I will put aside for this discussion those whose metal state is severely impacted by their physical health), medical professionals do.  So I understand that they can receive guidance from NICE to treat or not with different criteria.  But why are we all doing it with blinkers on? 

There may not be an easy answer to this, but I feel somehow a decision has been made to not provide me, or the professionals I rely on, with information about my health because it might cause me concern when it shouldn’t., or cause them to make unnecessary interventions.  And I find that warped thinking. If the problem is that I might be overly worried, or they may intervene when they shouldn’t, please educate and inform us, not restrict the information available to us. 

Perhaps a change of reporting is better, but only for those that are new to the game.  If you never had a radar that shows you planes 5km away, it’s OK to have one that shows you when they get to be 1km away.  

If everyone else is cool with it, I will accept it and try to get back to my flying with my radar blanked out!

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:54

Healey,I am one hundred percent with you on wanting to know where I am going. I knew very early in my journey that I was likely to have a recurrence. Had I not had the two decimal reporting at around two years after surgery I would have been suddenly told, your cancer has come back. 

I fell out with my oncologist over the frequency of PSA testing. 

Would people buy a car without a fuel gauge . 

I do respect Lyn's knowledge, she has been telling us since 2017 that the ultra sensitive test has been discredited but I have never seen the research that said why, and I wonder if the criteria is still applicable. Lots of guys are still having 2 and 3 decimal point PSA tests and hospitals are buying machines to test to 0.025. 

Seven years ago my oncologist said PSMA tests were for the future,well that future has arrived.

Thanks Chris

The moderators can split conversations,it might be better to move the last few posts onto a conversation of your own.

Edited by member 22 Feb 2024 at 11:55  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:16

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

I had RARP a year ago my results have been <0.02, <0.05, <0.02, <0.02 and 0.02. All the measurements were the lowest the labs measured to and all classed as undetectable

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:18

Hi Healey 

I agree and have posted much the same for some time.  Although some say that readings below 0.03 aren't particularly accurate.  

Also 0.03 is still very very small and detection very very unlikely.

Some hospitals use 0.1 as a threshold as they believe it's causing worry unnecessarily.

Ulsterman is an exception to get useful intervention at a low level.

I think a national standard of 0.05 should be adopted unless there is proof of widespread benefit lower.  Like you an early trend is my preference.  

My hospital starts investigation at 0.2 unless it rises fast.

It might have been better to create your own thread.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 19:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:20
Basically just stop worrying until it gets to 0.1. this far out from your RP and still getting a < means you are as cured as you can be.

I have been round the mill with this if you read my profile you will understand why!

In 2015 for high risk detected after RP (T3A or above, or high G) meant you could be recommended for adjuvant RT. A paper shortly after that also said if it goes above 0.03 you are basically fooked so might as well have salvage therapy anyway. Subsequent much larger studies have basically discredited those approaches and proven that it's safe to wait until at least 0.2 for salvage therapy.

I suspect the winds of change may now be blowing towards not treating until PSMA scans can detect the recurrence. Time will tell if this approach is safe.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 23:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

BCR is defined as 3 successive rises above 0.1 OR it reaches 0.2 OR it is measurable and the man had a poor pathology. Ulsterman fits in the latter group. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 00:08

Healey, I would be interested to see the NICE guidance that you are quoting.

Is the figure of 0.3 correct in the following paragraph or did you mean 0.03

"Furthermore, let’s map out a scenario with these sensitivities - perhaps my actual reading this year is 0.024 and it is reported as “undetectable” at <0.025, but it actually represents more than a quadrupling in a year; on the same trajectory, next years reading would be 0.1. This is way beyond the 0.30 previously advised as an investigation threshold, and already at the new investigation threshold. No warning, no real trajectory data, far less opportunity for early diagnosis or intervention"

My post op PSA in 2014 was 0.03 but my histology was poor it took over two  to breach 0.2.  My discharge letter from the hospital said if I breached 0.1 I would be brought back under the umbrella of urology, that for me just meant more frequent PSA tests. At 0.2 we started making plans for salvage RT and at 0.23 I started salvage RT.

My oncologist says it is our blood that is unreliable not the tests, I  had blood drawn from my arm into two separate vials they went to the same lab and tested at the same time and had a difference of 0.01.Was that machine tolerance or did one sample have a bit more PSA in it. 

Our hospital bought new machines about three years ago that will now test down to 0.025. In research environments they can test alot lower than we use in clinical levels. 

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 22 Feb 2024 at 00:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 10:28

Thank you all for your replies.

Firstly, ColwickChris, yes I did mean 0.03 in that paragraph.

The consultants secretary I spoke to said the amendment was within NG12, and was made in July2023.  I looked at the latest version I could find on the intranet and I couldn’t find that amendment. 

I really wanted to pick up on the point made by LynEyre, particularly if the change is to do with reporting, rather than the accuracy of the test itself.  In my head, it is not the accuracy of the readings at a very low level, nor the fact that 99.9999% of the population has a higher reading than I do that is causing me to worry.  I tried to find an analogy to demonstrate my concern, and why I think that changing the reporting is unhelpful.  Let me try this.

Pretend (if you need to) that you are an airplane pilot that has survived a near-miss in-flight incident. And your father and uncle were both killed in air-crashes.  Not surprisingly, you will rely on your radar more than you might otherwise.  You know that the radar shows when it detects other planes at 5km distance, and you only really need to consider taking any action when they are 500m away. Planes go in and out of the periphery of the radar, and you know they are there and that the radar is working but you don’t worry about them.  Then one day, the ground staff fit a ring around the edge of the radar screen that blanks off the range from 5km to 2.5km and tell you they are doing this because that range of the radar has been found to be inaccurate, and in any case you don’t need to worry about them until they are 500M away.  You live with it for a while, and then you find that they have fitted another ring blanking off the range from 2.5km to 1000m and they tell you that air-crash investigators have said that accidents only happen when planes get to be within 300m of each other, and the range from 2.5km to 1000m is a bit inaccurate, and it is distracting for the pilot to know about all those other planes that are extremely unlikely to cause an accident.  How do you feel now? 

Personally, I want to known as far in advance as I can about something I may have to deal with that might kill me, even if it is very unlikely; even if the information I get is potentially inaccurate and I get some peripheral false alarms.  Furthermore, I want to know how fast I am closing in on an event which I may need to take action for. 

Please understand, I know I am very fortunate to be in remission, and that I have nothing really to worry about. But somehow this latest change doesn’t work for me. Perhaps it is because I like to believe I am in remission, and the data I was getting was reinforcing that.  Making that data less supportive of that hypothesis is undermining the belief.

Patients do not decide to treat themselves medically (I will put aside for this discussion those whose metal state is severely impacted by their physical health), medical professionals do.  So I understand that they can receive guidance from NICE to treat or not with different criteria.  But why are we all doing it with blinkers on? 

There may not be an easy answer to this, but I feel somehow a decision has been made to not provide me, or the professionals I rely on, with information about my health because it might cause me concern when it shouldn’t., or cause them to make unnecessary interventions.  And I find that warped thinking. If the problem is that I might be overly worried, or they may intervene when they shouldn’t, please educate and inform us, not restrict the information available to us. 

Perhaps a change of reporting is better, but only for those that are new to the game.  If you never had a radar that shows you planes 5km away, it’s OK to have one that shows you when they get to be 1km away.  

If everyone else is cool with it, I will accept it and try to get back to my flying with my radar blanked out!

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:54

Healey,I am one hundred percent with you on wanting to know where I am going. I knew very early in my journey that I was likely to have a recurrence. Had I not had the two decimal reporting at around two years after surgery I would have been suddenly told, your cancer has come back. 

I fell out with my oncologist over the frequency of PSA testing. 

Would people buy a car without a fuel gauge . 

I do respect Lyn's knowledge, she has been telling us since 2017 that the ultra sensitive test has been discredited but I have never seen the research that said why, and I wonder if the criteria is still applicable. Lots of guys are still having 2 and 3 decimal point PSA tests and hospitals are buying machines to test to 0.025. 

Seven years ago my oncologist said PSMA tests were for the future,well that future has arrived.

Thanks Chris

The moderators can split conversations,it might be better to move the last few posts onto a conversation of your own.

Edited by member 22 Feb 2024 at 11:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 20:28

I agree that 0.1 is too high a threshold.

My psa went detectable at 0.06 then 0.09 in 3 months.  If it had carried on it would have been a very high 0.36 at the first test over 0.1.

As it happened 3 months later it went down to 0.07 and has slowly moved to 0.1 last Dec, or 2yrs after becoming detectable.

Due to it's slow rise I'm more relaxed than I expected and still have hopes it'll stop or go down again.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 22:24
I assume if your hospital changes to testing only down to 0.1 that future tests go back to 2 decimals once your over 0.1. Anyone know please?

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 19:35

Well at the risk of turning this into a thread on Air Traffic Control. In Holland there was a directive to fit mode S transponders (not cheap, makes aircraft visible on radar) on all aircraft including Gliders. On the the first warm weekend after the directive, an order went out for gliders to switch off their very expensive transponders.

Ultra sensitive PSA does cause too much noise, hence they have 'turned it off'.

Dave