I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post prostatectomy cancer and cycling

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 08:25

I have been a keen cyclist since my early 30’s (I’m now 58). I had an RP in 2019 and was able to get back into cycling after about 3 months. Happy days. Until last week when I was told that my PSA was 0.2 and that I need a pet scan followed by RT and the scan waiting time will be 3 months. Back to limbo land. At least , I thought, I’m really fit and riding my bike is a great way of seeing my mates and taking my mind off things. But then, in a consultation with an oncologist, she told me that I should not cycle until after the scan because it might aggravate the prostate bed and somehow make things worse in an unspecified way. 
The  irony is that I am training to do a ride from Anglesey to Bath in May to raise money for ProstateCancerUK which won’t happen if I can’t train for 3 months. 
does anyone know if there is a rational medical justification for not riding in the next 3 months in my situation? 

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 09:28

Hello mate.

I'm very sorry to hear that 4 years post prostatectomy that your PSA risen to the dreaded 0.2 mark I hope your follow up scan and RT goes well.

I'd also like to congratulate you on maintaining a high level of fitness and trying to use it to support this charity. We'll done.

I'm not a cyclist, so can't help you with your specific enquiry. However there are countless cyclists on here that probably will be able to assist. Failing that if you search the site for cycling there are numerous conversations, perhaps one of them may help you.

Best of luck and keep pedaling.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 11:24

I really doubt she can point to any evidence supporting that claim, but I'm certainly not going to tell you to ignore your oncologist.

I had same comment from radiotherapy when I was starting my treatment, but my oncologist told me it was rubbish, and cycling (or any exercise which increases blood flow in the prostate) during radiotherapy probably improved the effectiveness of the radiotherapy. Radiotherapy works best on cancer cells which are well oxygenated.

I switched to using a noseless saddle like the one below during my radiotherapy, and I've stayed with it ever since. It's not so much being noseless, as that it has absolutely nothing under the perineum (not just a little dent like many saddles do, but a hole right through. Actually, it has very little except under your sit bones (pelvis), so you can't sit on any part of your anatomy you shouldn't, unlike most male saddles. It does take a few rides to adjust it comfortably and get used to it. The lack of nose means you need to use your arm and leg muscles to keep the saddle under your bum and not slide out sideways.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R61NZ4V/ (no longer available, but you will be able to find another similar one.)

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 15:42
Good Heavens! John was encouraged to get out on the bike as much as he could in between starting HT & starting RT - he didn't go out on the bike during the actual RT though.

Onco is hardly going to know whether you did or didn't and some would argue that your mental & physical wellbeing is the priority right now. Perhaps avoid the bike in the few days leading up to the planning scan?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 19:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Good Heavens! John was encouraged to get out on the bike as much as he could

Is that a euphemism Lyn? 😁

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 07:42

Thank you all for your very useful comments, I decided I didn’t agree with the oncologist and contacted the MacMillan nurses to satisfy my confirmation bias. I have bought a noseless saddle and find it quite comfortable from the start.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 08:44

Hi I just fitted a ISM Comfort City Touring Saddle to my Hybrid bike. I am finding it hard to get used to on the first two rides, it doesn't feel as safe as a normal saddle, feels like I could loose my balance. I have read that it can take some time to adjust to the ride.

Has anyone got experience using this saddle or any recommendations for something different.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.ISM-Comfort-City-Touring-Saddle_90112.htm

Thanks,

Stephen