I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Spread to perineum

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 23:05

Hi there, my husband was diagnosed in December 2020. Has been through enzalutamide, abiraterone, lutetium trial, chemo as well as still being on prostap . Everything has worked for a bit but not for long. It has now spread to his perineum. It’s causing him a lot of discomfort, constipation, nausea and the only solution they have given us is a low fibre diet. Just wondered whether anyone had any experience of this or advice to give? They have suggested more chemo but as docetaxel did nothing except make him feel very unwell, he’s understandably reluctant to do it. 

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 20:12
👍

Yes, comfort is important and it can be difficult to find the right balance between pain relief and remaining as active / mobile as possible. But this is also a time for making memories and doing the things that, in different circumstances, might have been put off until you were old together. These memories will sustain you in the future. It is also important that you have your own support network - the carer also needs to be cared for.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 23:05

Hi there, my husband was diagnosed in December 2020. Has been through enzalutamide, abiraterone, lutetium trial, chemo as well as still being on prostap . Everything has worked for a bit but not for long. It has now spread to his perineum. It’s causing him a lot of discomfort, constipation, nausea and the only solution they have given us is a low fibre diet. Just wondered whether anyone had any experience of this or advice to give? They have suggested more chemo but as docetaxel did nothing except make him feel very unwell, he’s understandably reluctant to do it. 

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 22:45

Sorry I can’t help with this question but just bumping it up in case someone else can.

I hope you can get some answers to make things easier for your husband.

Derek

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 00:57
I am so sorry to see this RR.

If the docetaxel didn't have any great effect on the cancer last time, are they suggesting cabazitaxel this time round? They don't usually offer a repeat of docetaxel if it didn't work very well anyway.

I can't think of any other treatments now apart from a different chemo like cabaz. Probably the most important thing right now is to get on top of these symptoms so that he can be as comfortable as possible. It is often the case that the local hospice or palliative care team are the best at sorting out pain and other symptoms - far more experienced than oncologists or GPs. Has he been referred to hospice care / palliative care / Macmillan? If not, ask for a referral as these services will support you, him and your combined children. Also, is he in receipt of PIP? If not, ask the hospice team to help you apply for this - there is a fast track application if he is thought to have less than 6 months although many medics will sign the forms if they believe the patient may have less than 12 months and / or active treatment has been stopped. Continuing with the Prostap doesn't count as active treatment at this stage. It is important that he applies for whatever financial help is available, it is not means-tested and he is entitled to it - it can be used to help pay for things that will make his life easier (practical and emotional), keep him mobile and / or to help pay for domiciliary care when the time comes so that you can concentrate on being his love rather than his carer and / or just so that you can get some sleep.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 09:07

Thank you so much for your kind advice. Yes, cabitaxel but he’s not going to go for it. Suffered so much last time for no effect. We have the best care at the Marsden and they have sorted out PIP for us. I will contact hospice and focus on trying to make him as comfortable as possible. Thanks again. 

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 22:34

I’m embarrassed to say that we for it wrong, it has spread to peritoneum which is to do with lining in stomach. This was the one meeting I didn’t attend with my husband and he unfortunately got confused. Apparently it’s really quite rare for it to spread to this area. He’s in so much discomfort, especially in his stomach so am going to try and get pain relief sorted out asap. Apologies for the confusion but prognosis is same, unfortunately.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 22:45

Sorry I can’t help with this question but just bumping it up in case someone else can.

I hope you can get some answers to make things easier for your husband.

Derek

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 00:57
I am so sorry to see this RR.

If the docetaxel didn't have any great effect on the cancer last time, are they suggesting cabazitaxel this time round? They don't usually offer a repeat of docetaxel if it didn't work very well anyway.

I can't think of any other treatments now apart from a different chemo like cabaz. Probably the most important thing right now is to get on top of these symptoms so that he can be as comfortable as possible. It is often the case that the local hospice or palliative care team are the best at sorting out pain and other symptoms - far more experienced than oncologists or GPs. Has he been referred to hospice care / palliative care / Macmillan? If not, ask for a referral as these services will support you, him and your combined children. Also, is he in receipt of PIP? If not, ask the hospice team to help you apply for this - there is a fast track application if he is thought to have less than 6 months although many medics will sign the forms if they believe the patient may have less than 12 months and / or active treatment has been stopped. Continuing with the Prostap doesn't count as active treatment at this stage. It is important that he applies for whatever financial help is available, it is not means-tested and he is entitled to it - it can be used to help pay for things that will make his life easier (practical and emotional), keep him mobile and / or to help pay for domiciliary care when the time comes so that you can concentrate on being his love rather than his carer and / or just so that you can get some sleep.

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 09:07

Thank you so much for your kind advice. Yes, cabitaxel but he’s not going to go for it. Suffered so much last time for no effect. We have the best care at the Marsden and they have sorted out PIP for us. I will contact hospice and focus on trying to make him as comfortable as possible. Thanks again. 

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 20:12
👍

Yes, comfort is important and it can be difficult to find the right balance between pain relief and remaining as active / mobile as possible. But this is also a time for making memories and doing the things that, in different circumstances, might have been put off until you were old together. These memories will sustain you in the future. It is also important that you have your own support network - the carer also needs to be cared for.

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 22:34

I’m embarrassed to say that we for it wrong, it has spread to peritoneum which is to do with lining in stomach. This was the one meeting I didn’t attend with my husband and he unfortunately got confused. Apparently it’s really quite rare for it to spread to this area. He’s in so much discomfort, especially in his stomach so am going to try and get pain relief sorted out asap. Apologies for the confusion but prognosis is same, unfortunately.