I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Developing a tolerance for abnormalities

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 14:03

Good morning gents, (ladies as well). First off I want to thank everyone that has been a part of this support group. We all have at least one thing in common, PCa. I need some sage advice. I'm 10 months out from Robotic assisted radical prostatectomy(April 17, 2023), nearly 6 months out from 34 radiation treatments and 4 months out from my last of two Eligard injections. I had minor urethral/bladder neck leakage immediately post-op, but after nearly a month of indwelling catheter pleasure, I transitioned to full urinary continence immediately. The Eligard affected me the same as everyone else, occasional hot flashes which were tolerable. Now here comes the concern; the 34 radiation treatments didn't bother me one bit, but now that I'm 6 months out, I'm peeing blood and small clots from time to time. "Debris" if you will. I think I have seen other posts stating this is commonplace after RT and that it may persist for years. The occasional speck of dilute blood (drops) I'm assuming is coming from the urethra(which feels like I have a razor blade in there). But when I pee a larger amount of dilute red wine colored urine, I can't imagine it's coming from urethral irritation. My thought is that th radiation was so caustic to the bladder, bladder neck, urethra and rectum, I'm just destined to having this problem for the foreseeable future. Anyone else have this problem? I certainly appreciate any advice or anecdotes. Good bless and good luck to all my PCa brethren and their loved ones.

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 14:03

Good morning gents, (ladies as well). First off I want to thank everyone that has been a part of this support group. We all have at least one thing in common, PCa. I need some sage advice. I'm 10 months out from Robotic assisted radical prostatectomy(April 17, 2023), nearly 6 months out from 34 radiation treatments and 4 months out from my last of two Eligard injections. I had minor urethral/bladder neck leakage immediately post-op, but after nearly a month of indwelling catheter pleasure, I transitioned to full urinary continence immediately. The Eligard affected me the same as everyone else, occasional hot flashes which were tolerable. Now here comes the concern; the 34 radiation treatments didn't bother me one bit, but now that I'm 6 months out, I'm peeing blood and small clots from time to time. "Debris" if you will. I think I have seen other posts stating this is commonplace after RT and that it may persist for years. The occasional speck of dilute blood (drops) I'm assuming is coming from the urethra(which feels like I have a razor blade in there). But when I pee a larger amount of dilute red wine colored urine, I can't imagine it's coming from urethral irritation. My thought is that th radiation was so caustic to the bladder, bladder neck, urethra and rectum, I'm just destined to having this problem for the foreseeable future. Anyone else have this problem? I certainly appreciate any advice or anecdotes. Good bless and good luck to all my PCa brethren and their loved ones.

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 17:20

Thanks a million Chris. I have the same opinion as you and am on day 2 awaiting a phone call from the Radiation Oncologist. The bleeding is sporadic, but concerning and is very, very similar to your experience. I have a feeling like there is a razor blade in my urethra at the bladder neck at about the 8 o'clock point. If I don't get some immediate satisfaction, I'm headed to Moffit in Tampa Florida. I'll keep you posted. Again, Thanks.

Chuck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 18:14

Chuck, alot of treatment there is a short period of time but I notice you are in the USA

A few weeks after salvage RT I started passing, blood, blood clots, strange tissue shapes.long thin worm like blood clots. Urology blamed radiology and radiology blamed surgery. I got to see a professor at another hospital, after a look inside my bladder I was diagnosed with severe radiation cystitis. By the time I was diagnosed my bladder was beyond help. 

Make sure you are seen by someone who understands severe radiation cystitis. It is quite rare and so is not always recognised.

I did try some hyperbaric oxygen treatment but it was probably too late to be effective.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 17:20

Thanks a million Chris. I have the same opinion as you and am on day 2 awaiting a phone call from the Radiation Oncologist. The bleeding is sporadic, but concerning and is very, very similar to your experience. I have a feeling like there is a razor blade in my urethra at the bladder neck at about the 8 o'clock point. If I don't get some immediate satisfaction, I'm headed to Moffit in Tampa Florida. I'll keep you posted. Again, Thanks.

Chuck