Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Driving with catheter

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 21:14

Hi

Can my husband drive with an indwelling catheter?

Thank you

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 22:43

If he still has a catheter after prostatectomy surgery,the question will be how soon after surgery can he drive. Many of us on here advise talking to your insurance company following surgery. 

Following many dilatations I was never told I couldn't drive , except for the first couple of days after general anesthetic. At one point I had both a urethral and suprapubic catheter at the same time without any issues. A kink or blockage in the catheter could cause a spasm and be a distraction, it has never happened to me when driving.

I have had a permanent suprapubic catheter for six years and have never been told I shouldn't drive and it doesn't cause me any issues.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 23:12

Thank you for your reply. He has surgery yet. Having his catheter fitted this Monday. On hormone treatment at the moment so don’t know why he has to have a catheter 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 01:02
I think maybe his prostate is very large and it is stopping him from emptying his bladder properly. He can drive with a catheter in.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 08:17

Thank you for your reply. He will be happy. On another subject can you recommend any trousers I could buy for when we got out. I have purchased jogging bottoms for when he is at home

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 09:12

I wear M&S or cotton traders straight hem joggers, but that is because I have a permanent suprapubic catheter. They have an elasticated waist, ideal for pulling down in a hurry. The slightly stretchy and parallel legs make them Ideal for pulling the leg up to drain the catheter bag. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 09:28

Thanks Chris will look today

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 17:30

Cathether fitted today. Now there is blood in the bag. Nurse said it was normal and due to trauma. Ordered more straps and a bag holder for the night bag. The nurse didn’t say much, just that the bags are drainable and disposable after 7 days.

Is there anything else I need to know about the indwelling cathether?

Thank you