I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lutetium Therapy in India

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 08:39

Trying to weigh the best options for the way forward.

My father has been diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer. It's a case of acinar adenocarcinoma of the prostate. He underwent a bilateral orchidectomy (2018) and started Bicalutamide. Post- Radiotherapy (last on 22.11.2023). Post- 6 cycles of chemotherapy. Now presented with severe back pain for the last 10 days. A PET-CT scan was done on  6th March 2024 for disease status evaluation.

PET-CT scan findings reveal :
- Metabolically active abdominopelvic lymph nodes.
- Metabolically active lesions were noted in the body of the D10 vertebra and the right transverse process of the D9 vertebra.
- No other FDG avid visible disease is seen elsewhere in the regions of the body surveyed.

We are in Delhi, India and are under consultation at Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute & Research Centre and are planning to initiate lutetium therapy there.

I trust the doctor's recommendation, but trying to understand from the members of this community if Lu177 treatment (which is not too common yet in India) has resulted in a better way of living as compared to other chemotherapy options available. 

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 10:57
I don't think it's that common over here either. Of the people on here who have been through it it the results I think it's fair to say are mixed.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 20:28

For just two hotspots, I would ask if SABR might be possible on the hotspots.

On the other hand, Lutetium 177 would also find any micro-mets (mets too small to show on scans) and treat those too).

User
Posted 10 Mar 2024 at 10:46

Thanks Andy and Francij for the quick revert. I'll surely speak to the doc for SABR and get his opinion on the same.