Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

bcg

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 22:56

Hi Chaps.

Very early days for me. Briefly I've had bladder cancer on and off for a  6 yrs now but o er the last year I have had bcg immunotherapy which seems to be working.

However the bcg plays havok with psa readings for prostate giving elevated readings. However  over the last 6 month these  have been dropping  12.5   10.6 and currently  8.5.I said I want happy with this had DRE  hard on one side followed by mri. To my horror  I recieved a call to say i was Grade 5 and aggressive  which has left me shall shocked.  I'm having biopsys on Monday  and mri consultation.  My  previous biopsys  were negative  in late 2021.I am totally  emotional and scared stiff at what could have gone wrong.

I feel totally fit and well . How definitivno is the Scan or is the biopsy that hold the answer 

Thank  Steve

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 22:56

Hi Chaps.

Very early days for me. Briefly I've had bladder cancer on and off for a  6 yrs now but o er the last year I have had bcg immunotherapy which seems to be working.

However the bcg plays havok with psa readings for prostate giving elevated readings. However  over the last 6 month these  have been dropping  12.5   10.6 and currently  8.5.I said I want happy with this had DRE  hard on one side followed by mri. To my horror  I recieved a call to say i was Grade 5 and aggressive  which has left me shall shocked.  I'm having biopsys on Monday  and mri consultation.  My  previous biopsys  were negative  in late 2021.I am totally  emotional and scared stiff at what could have gone wrong.

I feel totally fit and well . How definitivno is the Scan or is the biopsy that hold the answer 

Thank  Steve

User
Posted 10 Mar 2024 at 01:40

The MRI scan isn't definitive. It can only identify lesions (areas of abnormal tissue, not necessarily cancer), and possibly spread outside the prostate. So, you need a biopsy to be definitively diagnosed.

MRIs are scored using the PIRADS or Likert scales, 1-5. 5 does mean the radiographer thinks it likely you have cancer. MRI can't diagnose the aggressiveness, that's the job of the biopsy.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:32

Hi just an update. I had a phone e call yesterday  regarding  the biopsy  results  and it was all negative  with no further action.

The Consultant  said that the mri had given the cancer indication  due to my BCG treatment  that had caused a lot of inflamation and pain in the back and pelvic area.  

Not sure if this is something  that will settle down over time.

But such a relief  to know the bladder cancer hadn't  found its way into my prostate.

Regards Steve

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 22:46
Really pleased for you, Real Ale Man
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Mar 2024 at 01:40

The MRI scan isn't definitive. It can only identify lesions (areas of abnormal tissue, not necessarily cancer), and possibly spread outside the prostate. So, you need a biopsy to be definitively diagnosed.

MRIs are scored using the PIRADS or Likert scales, 1-5. 5 does mean the radiographer thinks it likely you have cancer. MRI can't diagnose the aggressiveness, that's the job of the biopsy.

User
Posted 10 Mar 2024 at 06:42

Thank you Andy  hopefully  the biopsys results won't be to long a wait. 

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:32

Hi just an update. I had a phone e call yesterday  regarding  the biopsy  results  and it was all negative  with no further action.

The Consultant  said that the mri had given the cancer indication  due to my BCG treatment  that had caused a lot of inflamation and pain in the back and pelvic area.  

Not sure if this is something  that will settle down over time.

But such a relief  to know the bladder cancer hadn't  found its way into my prostate.

Regards Steve

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 22:46
Really pleased for you, Real Ale Man
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 02:11

Thanks RMA it's always nice to hear someone getting the all clear.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 07:41

Great news Steve, it must be a huge relief for you. 👍

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 07:44

Yes a great relief.Hopefully now I can continue with my bladder treatment as this has been put on hold.

Thanks and good luck.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 08:04

What real ale are you drinking? You'll have to have 2 or 3 to celebrate.🙂

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 08:33

Great result Steve, really pleased for you😊

Derek

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 17:28

Thanks Guys must admit I did have a few beers after the news .

Just want to resume my bladder treatment and keep this s*** at bay for as long as possible. 

Cheers all.

Steve